Ask the reporter. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:57 PM
Nice. Sounds like a good gig. How many reporters/writers do you have? Ever been to Pella? Relatives of mine had their hand in that town's beginnings. Yes, I'm a quarter Dutch.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #32
War Child

Local Time: 10:57 PM
What do you think about the alleged "Liberal media bias" the right wingers keep harping about? Or, I guess, any kind of general media bias (the left wingers would say it's a right-wing bias..."Just look at how easy the Bush Administration's had it," etc., etc.). Have you ever gotten the feeling that there's a certain biased (i.e. unbalanced) agenda at your newspaper?

Old 04-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

We have eight reporters on staff, not counting sports.

I just visited Pella recently for the first time in many years not too long ago. It's a very beautiful city.

I've very familiar with all the predominately-Dutch communities in northwest Iowa such as Orange City because I used to work at a newspaper in that area. It was fun trying to spell all those Dutch names.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Judah —*I would agree that print media, in general (unless you're FOX) has more of a liberal view to it. I know good newspapers though tend to still fight to have things more balanced. We try to be balanced too, however I'm sure it appears as if we lean more towards the conservative side because we live in an uberconservative community and we reflect that. We have both liberals and conservatives in the newsroom, whatever that tells you.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:19 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Bono's shades, it must be nice having eight reporters. Like I said earlier, we have three. We get to do a lot of other things as well. I had a photo in the paper yesterday.

If you're ever stuck with a Dutch name again, just put a "van" in front of it or add an extra "a".
Old 04-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

just for the the record, the richmond times disgrace (ok...dispatch) is full of right-wing tripe.

will you promise to be kind to me if i'm ever caught (heaven forbid) having an affair with an attractive politician?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Thanks for the questions guys. I'm off to go to a meeting with my wife —*she's getting baptized Wednesday! It's a very special moment for her (and me.)

Please keep the questions coming. It's been fun.

God bless all.

coemgen
Old 04-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes U2dem, there are right-wing rags out there. I'll see what I can do about that.

If you're ever caught having an affair with an attractive politician I'll go easy on you in the paper, but I'll have to tell your mother because YOU'RE STILL IN FREAKING HIGH SCHOOL. (I still can't believe it. You're wise beyond your years.)
Old 04-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

you're too funny. and yes i am a senior.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

At the paper I work for we always prided ourselves that we got as many complaints about our supposed left-wing bias as our supposed right-wing bias, which to us meant we were doing a pretty good job of being balanced. Then we got an editor who liked to have the TV in his office tuned to Fox News. We didn't exactly turn into the print equivalent of Fox News, but things started to happen that a lot of us felt uneasy about, such as the fact that our paper ran not just one, but TWO editorials endorsing Bush for president last fall. Well, that editor has since moved on to another paper, and now we are back to normal. Thank goodness. I was beginning to wonder if I could continue to work there and still live with myself.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

i'm on the school paper....so if anyone has any questions for a high school reporter that's me
Old 04-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
i'm on the school paper....so if anyone has any questions for a high school reporter that's me
Are you considering journalism as a career? I had the idea you wanted to go into politics.

Also, is your school good about letting the reporters write about controversial topics? You hear all kinds of stories about school administrations censoring student newspapers.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'll second Bono's shades' comment about school newspapers. I covered schools here for four years and I ran into some of that censorship in our four high schools. What do you run into U2dem? What stuff appears in your paper?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades

Are you considering journalism as a career? I had the idea you wanted to go into politics.

Also, is your school good about letting the reporters write about controversial topics? You hear all kinds of stories about school administrations censoring student newspapers.
I'm considering journalism as a fall back to politics.

Oh yeah we're good about controversial topics...just check out my Op/Ed on gay marriage thread!
Old 04-13-2005, 03:17 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

What are you hoping to do with politics U2dem? (Why is this slowly turning into the "ask the U2dem" thread? People must think I'm boring as hell. Ask some controversial questions people!)