Ask the reporter. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2005, 08:24 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:36 AM
First I'll answer financeguy here — Relevant magazine is a Christian magazine, but not what you'd expect a Christian mag to be. It's kind of anti-typical American Christian culture crap. It's subject matter is "God. Life. Progressive Culture." It will review a Jars of Clay CD, a PJ Harvey CD and a CD from the Cure all on the same page. It's kind of about bluring the lines between the sacred and the profane I guess you could say. It's brilliant. The guy that started it, who's about my age, has been considered a "U2 Christian." Bono, in fact, is considered the Godfather of Christian relevancy and he graced the cover of the publication about a year ago. I'm big on Christians influencing culture because that's how I, in fact, became a dedicated Christian. When I realized what the lyrics in "Until the End of the World" were about, my world changed instantly. Here you have the coolest rock star ever, and he's using irony and quoting scripture. Amazing. That's what Relevant is about. It's about being an AUTHENTIC Christian and changing culture that way. Check out www.relevantmagazine.com or www.relevantbooks.com — there you'll find a book about U2's faith as well.
By the way, their whole Web site is about to change and be even cooler in a month or so.

Thanks for the good "craic" financeguy. I'll pray for you and your career path. God bless.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

odowdpa, you're so right. The pay is crap unless you specialize. I always told myself when I had a family I'd get out of newspapers because the pay and hours are crap, but my wife and I had a family unexpectedly and I haven't found a good "next step" kind of job yet. PR is seen as selling out, but my overall goal with my writing is to change things for the better, inspire people and help people. (Yes, I was inspired by what U2 does with their music.) Essentially, I'd do that with PR so I don't consider myself a sellout, but we'll see what others think if that time comes. (Not that I give a crap what others think though.)

What do you do? What kind of publication do you work at?

Old 04-11-2005, 08:29 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Thanks for the good "craic" financeguy. I'll pray for you and your career path. God bless.
Thank you and God bless.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm going to bed for the night.

Peace all.

coemgen (i.e. War Child.)
Old 04-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Another reporter reporting in...

Coemgen, have you ever thought of trying to get a job as a religion beat writer at a newspaper? We have a reporter who does that at our paper and we are only a mid-sized daily. It might be a nice way to work your way up to a job at someplace like Relevant.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:31 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Now that you're a War Child... are you reporting for duty?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:36 AM
A friend of mine illustrates for Kansas City Star!

foray
Old 04-12-2005, 09:13 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Bono's shades — I actually do a lot of religion writing here too. We have a religion writer, but she only does one story a week. If there's something else that's interesting going on in the faith community, I'll do something. We're based in a town of about 115,000 people and we're considered the holy land of Kansas because we're all churches. There's some crap ones out there, but there's a lot of good ones too —*and they all have amazing stories coming out of them.

Macfistowannabe —*Yes. I'm reporting for duty. What's the next level to get to? When do you get there?

foray, who's your friend? I know some people over at the star.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Bono's shades —*what do you do? What kind of publication do you work for? Where?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Allan Chow
Old 04-12-2005, 09:21 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Can't say that I know him. I'll keep an eye out for his stuff though. How do you know him?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:39 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

churchies.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

do you see journalism as having a "mission"? or a unique kind of public responsibility? if so, what steps do you take as a reporter and writer to further this mission?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Good q Irvine –*I definitely think journalism's mission is to inform the public, be a watchdog and tell people's stories.

I do features here, so I'm not so much of a watchdog I guess, but I get excited about telling people's stories. I think everyone of us has a life filled with amazing stories. That's why I like these "Ask the" threads — we get to hear each other stories and get past our preconceived ideas of each other. People need to hear stories too. It lets us know we're not alone and at the same time, what's possible. It's also important to know what others go through. I do a lot of stories on a friend of mine here, Akot, who is from Sudan. He has a relief organization for his city of Akon, Sudan. People in Kansas are awakening to his story and the plight of his people, simply because they've heard his story (not just by me, but by others and Akot himself). That's the power of a person's story.
I also always try to do stories where people can help someone else out. You'd be surprised how willing the general community is to help others and give of themselves. And I'm sure it's not just unique to Johnson County, Kan. I think the media needs to do a better job of getting the word out about stuff like that.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Bono's shades —*what do you do? What kind of publication do you work for? Where?
I work for a daily newspaper in Iowa with a circulation of around 20,000. My main beats are arts and entertainment and whatever goes on in a couple of the smaller towns in our coverage area. But at a paper our size any reporter can be reporting on almost anything on any given day - and that's particularly true in my case, because although we do have a pretty decent cultural/arts scene for a community our size, it's not enough to keep anyone busy 40 hours a week. I tend to fill in a lot for other reporters when they are sick or on vacation, or cover stuff that doesn't fit in any particular beat. I love covering arts and entertainment - something I never really got to specialize in before I came here even though I've always been into that kind of thing (I worked on mostly small weeklies before), but I still like being able to do some hard news.