Ask The Old Married Guy - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2005, 06:27 AM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:59 PM
NBC

Have read most of thread - and have tried to keep up with your posts - in last 2 - 3 years

1) What does NBC crusader mean ?

2) Why do you think you are old ? Guys at 50 get girls aged 19 and 20

3) Do you believe that - "if you do bad to others, bad will happen to you" ?

4) Your views on bands like Oasis , Coldplay and Blur because I havent seen you in JB&C

Thanks
AcrobatMan

Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by For Honor
what does this mean to you: "when you are in love, you only see the eyes"

it sort of makes sense to me, butI would like to hear others take on it.
Makes sense to me as well. The eyes are often called the windows to the soul. When you are in love, you don't see the physical imperfections, the "annoying" habits, etc. You see the inner beauty of the one you love.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:03 AM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
So, if you agree with me - please explain your statement of true love because if you agree with me, it seems to be contradictory.

Do you mean that in order to have true love all other aspects of love have grown and that is the only way that true love is achieved?
I had to think through this last night.

I guess when I thought of "looking for love" it was looking for someone to love me. That can't be bought, coerced, bargained for, or demanded. I think the hardest part of a relationship is waiting until the other person grows to your level of commitment. It may take a while, it may never happen.

I didn't want to suggest that the giving with no expectation of return meant that one had to submit to the intimate level of relationship. If someone is unloving (or not committed to a relationship at the same level), you still love them, but as you said, at the humankind level.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:25 AM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
What are the most important values you want to instill in your children? What kind of people do you want them to be?
On a spiritual level, I want both my children to have their own personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

From their faith, we want them to love others, show respect, be honest, do the best with what God has given them, etc. While we try to model behavior and instill values, the good stuff in our kids can only come from God.

We just got a "paycheck" from our 10-year old son. On Friday, a classmate walked up to our son at his desk and said, "I have a gun and I'm going to shoot you."

Now, this kid has been hassling our son all year with threats of "beating him up after school". Our son, who is probably the strongest in his class and stands almost a foot taller, only responded to these threats of a fight with "sorry, I have stuff to do after school."

Friday was different. In addition to the gun threat (and another student confirmed that this kid has talked about owning a gun), he threatened to pour gasoline on our 4-year old daughter and set her on fire. I think this is what really concerned our son.

We reported this to the teacher & principle on Friday. Monday, my wife was able to sit in on a meeting with the principle, teacher, our son and the kid who made the threat. The kid admitted to the statements, said he only had an air-powered BB gun, and said he was frustrated because other students were laughing and thought they were laughing at him.

As the meeting concluded, our son got up and as he left, gently touched the shoulder his class mate, saying softly "See you in a little bit". On his own, he communicated to both the principle and teacher that he was concerned about this boy. At the end of the school day, the teacher told our son “if there was a trophy for today, you should get it.” Our son replied, no, it should go to the other boy because he told the truth about what he said.

I am proud of how our son handled himself through this situation. But I can’t take credit for the values that have grown in him. That has come from his faith.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
And I *think* you have boys and girls-if so, do you feel you parent them differently because of their gender, or is it more just because they are different as people?
Yes, we have a 10-year old boy and an almost 5-year old (going on 15) girl. I think we do parent them differently because they are really different people. The hard part is allowing differences because of who they are instead of falling into differences because of what society says they are (boy/girl stereotypes). The age difference also works into the equation. My wife and I regularly discuss how we handle different situations with the kids and compare/contrast what was effective with the older with what might work with the younger.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:28 AM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:59 PM

you sound like a great parent.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:37 AM   #126
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
1) What does NBC crusader mean ?
Interference is my first real forey into an online community. As I surveyed posts, I realized that practically no one used their real name. All my email address up until that point was my real name. So I figured it was appropriate to adopt a screen name.

About that time, I read a story about a high school that was getting pressure to drop its nickname: the "Crusaders". It struck me as yet another exercise in political correctness.

So, to show my rebellious nature, I wanted to use crusader in my name. The "NB" was added because I live in Newport Beach.

See, now you know not to mess with me because I might do something rebellious like pick a controversial screen name....

Quote:
2) Why do you think you are old ? Guys at 50 get girls aged 19 and 20
Let's say I'm at the older edge of the curve for this board. Anyone who never got to see the original Star Wars movies in the theater when they came out is young to me.

Quote:
3) Do you believe that - "if you do bad to others, bad will happen to you" ?
My bad is my sin. While I may be forgiven, I will have consequences. Beyond that, I really couldn't describe a rule set for the consequences.

Quote:
4) Your views on bands like Oasis , Coldplay and Blur because I havent seen you in JB&C
I've heard of Oasis and Coldplay. The names of the bands, not their music. While I have a fairly good sized collection of music (250+ cds or a couple thousand mp3's), I still end up listening to U2 most of the time.

The only new music I've heard that caught my ear was Bowling of Soup.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

that's a great example of a good kid (the story of your son in the school incident), I think you have to take some credit for that
Old 03-22-2005, 10:06 AM   #128
Refugee

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Wow nbc! I am so proud of your son! Mrs Springsteen is right - you have to take some credit for that.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

inside joke

Quote:

1) What does NB mean ?

Answer:
Guys at 50 get girls aged 19 and 20.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
We just got a "paycheck" from our 10-year old son. On Friday, a classmate walked up to our son at his desk and said, "I have a gun and I'm going to shoot you."

Now, this kid has been hassling our son all year with threats of "beating him up after school". Our son, who is probably the strongest in his class and stands almost a foot taller, only responded to these threats of a fight with "sorry, I have stuff to do after school."

Friday was different. In addition to the gun threat (and another student confirmed that this kid has talked about owning a gun), he threatened to pour gasoline on our 4-year old daughter and set her on fire. I think this is what really concerned our son.
I would've dropped a load over it.

You should be proud about how you, your wife, and your son handled this matter.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:42 PM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:59 PM
thanks for answering
Old 03-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

How old do you have to be to understand Love?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm going to guess and say like 10,000......
Old 03-28-2005, 08:24 AM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

Obviously, it varies. And, I'd say it takes a lifetime to fully understand love.

But it is a wonderful thing to discover when two people are committed to living and learning love together.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:07 PM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
But it is a wonderful thing to discover when two people are committed to living and learning love together.

I have never, ever, ever used that icon before in any way in any site at any time in my life. But if I am ever to use it, this would be a worthy occasion.

I guess you have to be patient for some things.
It's hard, but I'm slowly beginning to accpet that I can't do everything, no matter how much I desire it, at this point in my life.

--------------------------------

How about this:

this is an interesting question...

What U2 song, or songs, do you think go along best with love?
I wanted to come up with some question, but I can't seem to word it right. A lot of the songs are good for love....

but I guess I'll just leave it really open ended

what songs do you most associate with love
or exemplify love the best?