Ask The Old Married Guy - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2005, 09:30 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:38 PM
Happy anniversary!

Old 03-13-2005, 04:39 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:38 AM
NBC, do you ever see Christianity being reunited? Do you agree with moves towards ecumenism?

Congrats on reaching the big 15!

Old 03-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
NBC, do you ever see Christianity being reunited? Do you agree with moves towards ecumenism?
Yes, Christianity will be fully reunited. It will take place when Christ returns.

Schisms in the Church have occurred since day 1. I doubt we can fix what was torn apart.

Moves toward ecumenism are nice, but if carefully read show a series of surface level moves toward unity without repudiation of underlying beliefs that maintain the schisms.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:33 AM   #64
The Fly

Local Time: 04:38 AM
does your wife have a mating call?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by earthshell
does your wife have a mating call?
I guess she does, but I never let it go so long that she needs to use it......
Old 03-14-2005, 09:45 AM   #66
Refugee

Local Time: 01:38 PM
What type of church do you attend?

What got you interested in that church?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:12 AM   #67
Refugee

Local Time: 09:38 PM
Congratulations!

So, what *is* the mysterious distance between a man and a woman and how do you measure it?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by stammer476
What type of church do you attend?

What got you interested in that church?

I am currently an elder at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church.

We've attended St. Andrews since 1993, after another couple invited us to attend a service. The church we were currently attending started moving towards a "seeker church" model. We didn't feel like we were getting spiritually fed by the preaching.

We like our current church because of its strong Biblical teaching and the more traditional format (choir instead of praise band). The preaching challenges us spiritually and gives us "meat" to grow. Also, my wife grew up in the Presbyterian church, so it was familiar ground for her. I did not grow up with a religious background.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:17 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Wow, I already subscribed to this thread.

I like hearing what married couples have to say, because I sort of want to be like that myself, ideally. I know I'm still a kid, but at the same time, I'm glad I know what I want.

First of, congratulations.
15 years.... I really hope things keep going for you.
You sound like someone who is capable of being in a long term marriage like that. Best of luck

I'm happy because a lot of what I had in mind about marriage and it's success is confirmed in what you have said so far. But I also know that I have a lot to learn, and even if you know a lot, it will take something special for it to actually work.

I have so many questions!
I don't know where to start...

Okay, how about this.....

What do you think is the most important thing when it comes to picking someone to marry? I know communication, but do you have any other reccomendations or signs to look for?

There's one person in my life that I get a really .... unique vibe from...... but more on that later

congrats!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #70
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I am currently an elder at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church.

Yeah for Presbyterians, my dad is a presbyterian minister. Is your church PCA?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:38 PM
Something else that popped into my head:

I'm sure you and your wife have had quite a good number of disagreements/arguments/what have you over the years...did you immediately find a way to work through them at the beginning of your relationship, or did it take a while before you found the best way to solve the problem at hand? And does the solution differ depending on the disagreement (you handle the more major disagreements differently from the minor ones, for example)? And are there any arguments you wish you'd handled better?

Angela
Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 AM   #72
The Fly

Congrats!!

I've been married almost 10 months now. If you could give newlyweds just one piece of advice, what would it be?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:46 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Do you have a rule about keeping/not keeping confidants that are of the opposite sex? Eg. you shouldn't confide private/intimate details of your marriage (problems) to another woman, even though you are platonic friends...

Cos I know one married couple like that. Their marriage seems to bloom, but it was detrimental to my friendship with the man.

foray
Old 03-15-2005, 02:11 AM   #74
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:38 PM
This might be a question you dont wish to answer, so please say so if you would rather not, but how did your lack of religion fare in the early days? Your wife sounds like a very dedicated lady with her (and now your) church and if I can leap to a grand assumption it seems that she would have been searching for a partner with something similar in their life - which, if I may assume again, it seemed early on, you didn't quite have. At all.

I think my questions have a few parts. Did she influence you directly or indirectly to seek such a religious belief? Would your relationship have survived if you hadn't found a similar path? And for you personally, do you feel you would have found this path without your wife being in your life at any stage of the relationship?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:01 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by foray
Do you have a rule about keeping/not keeping confidants that are of the opposite sex? Eg. you shouldn't confide private/intimate details of your marriage (problems) to another woman, even though you are platonic friends...
I probably wouldn't confide private/intimate details of our marriage to just about anyone, save a very close personal friend (who is male). I guess I don't need a rule regarding the opposite sex as I haven't/wouldn't develop such a close relationship.

While I have many friends who are women, I would not spend time with them outside a group setting. I want to avoid any appearance of improper behavior - even if I know nothing improper is happening, I don't want to give someone else the opportunity to be suspicious.