Ask The Old Married Guy - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:00 PM
well Bono told me he was mad at u Ms. Joyful cuz you werent around the next day to greet him.

db9

but i digress and will let nb answer the orignally posted question

thank u
db3

Old 04-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Old 04-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RosieHS
Can you honestly say that you love your wife unconditionally or are there conditions to your love?
I can honestly say I love her unconditionally.

That doesn't mean that everyday the sun is shining, the birds are singing and we exchange syrupy sweet pet names for each other all day long. We do have our moods, our hot buttons and our differences. But working through them as a couple is a higher priority than keeping our individual positions.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #154
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I can honestly say I love her unconditionally.

That doesn't mean that everyday the sun is shining, the birds are singing and we exchange syrupy sweet pet names for each other all day long. We do have our moods, our hot buttons and our differences. But working through them as a couple is a higher priority than keeping our individual positions.

I love this thread.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:59 AM   #155
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Hi nbc - congrats on your anniversary and for getting a prime GA spot! When I was waiting (in vain) to get a glimpse of a band member before the opening show, I started to feel weird, like it was bordering on idolatry, so I left after about an hour and half (they didn't show up anyway). I'm not a Christian but I do have a serious spiritual practice to which I'm very devoted and which cautions against idolatry much as the Bible does. As a Christian, did you have any feelings like that? I felt pretty certain that I could make the separation between being a normal fan wanting to see a great person and idolizing someone, and I'm not saying I wouldn't do it again, but it all still felt kinda weird to me.
I think you have explained a good deal of the reason why I had not attended a U2 concert before this tour. That fear of idolatry was there and it kept me from going. It finally took my wife telling me "YOU ARE GOING THIS TIME" to get me to buy tickets.

Oddly, I got to see the band before SD2 and LA1. I didn't want to shake their hand. I didn't have them sign anything. I took a few pictures and enjoyed the excitement of the other fans.

I was a little surprised my wife wanted to stick around to see the band. Other than the fact that we had shade on the north side of Staples, I guess she just wanted to see what they looked like close up. I think she really enjoyed being around the other fans as well - ones where you can feel joy bubbling out because they are close to Bono or Edge.

The best thing that happened for me personally at the Staples Center was the no camera policy. If I had my camera, I would have taken 200+ high quality pictures. But I would not have reallyexperienced the concert. Instead, I got to jump, dance, and sing to my heart's content. The show was about the music.

Would I ever want to meet the band? It is not a goal for me. If anything, I would want to ask them individually how they keep their marriages going with all the demands they have.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I didn't want to shake their hand. I didn't have them sign anything. I took a few pictures and enjoyed the excitement of the other fans.

Would I ever want to meet the band? It is not a goal for me. If anything, I would want to ask them individually how they keep their marriages going with all the demands they have.
I really relate to this. I think I wanted to be a part of the action without meeting the band or trying to get their attention--not that I have any judgment whatsoever of others who do, it's just not me. Part of that may be because I have worked with a lot of famous people throughout my adult life (writers mostly) so I don't get star-struck the way some people understandably do and the best conversations I've had with some of these people are about very ordinary things. Usually in those situations I present myself as an equal (which doesn't mean they always see me or treat me as such) so there isn't that whole "oh my God I've read all your books" thing which I think just makes most sensitive famous people uncomfortable.

But of course I'd love to meet any member of the band in a different setting where it's not BIG THEM and little me but rather everyone on equal footing, to the extent that that's even possible.

And like your wife, I wanted to see what they looked like up close in the bright afternoon sun. But that's just human curiosity I guess.

to your wife for making you go!
Old 04-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

this has got to be one of the best threads Ive seen on interference (PLEBA included )
Old 04-11-2005, 06:34 PM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:00 PM
indeed
Old 04-24-2005, 01:29 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Hmm...
I don';t know how to pose this question, but, maybe I'll try a few

How early is too early to concern yourself with love - as in, the real kind mentioned her?

I wonder if I'm troubling myself with it a bit too soon in life. But at the same time, I place a great value on it, and am intesely interested in it (obviously). But I'm sure a lot of people are.

Also, how long should you wait for marriage?
Not just "your age",
but also, how long for knowing the person you want to marry?

And the "double question" - if you are younger in age, should you wait longer to consider marriage, as people are changing and growing rapidly when they are still "young"?

That's sort of a lot, really, but I guess it came out that way.
Thanks.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:37 PM   #160
The Fly

I'm not a regular in FYM, but I really enjoyed this thread. Thanks NBC for all the encouraging writing.

I'm 25, been married five years, and have a 17 month old. I have that problem you mentioned in one post -- no good male friends to talk these things through with, so it was nice hearing this type of stuff here.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:37 PM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

this is a great thread

Old 04-28-2005, 11:00 AM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I really relate to this. I think I wanted to be a part of the action without meeting the band or trying to get their attention--not that I have any judgment whatsoever of others who do, it's just not me. Part of that may be because I have worked with a lot of famous people throughout my adult life (writers mostly) so I don't get star-struck the way some people understandably do and the best conversations I've had with some of these people are about very ordinary things. Usually in those situations I present myself as an equal (which doesn't mean they always see me or treat me as such) so there isn't that whole "oh my God I've read all your books" thing which I think just makes most sensitive famous people uncomfortable.

But of course I'd love to meet any member of the band in a different setting where it's not BIG THEM and little me but rather everyone on equal footing, to the extent that that's even possible.

And like your wife, I wanted to see what they looked like up close in the bright afternoon sun. But that's just human curiosity I guess.

to your wife for making you go!

This is well said.

I, too have come across my fair share of celebrities in my life and I seem to find that I do pretty much the same thing whenever I meet one. For some reason, I do get star-struck, and for some reason I find that I need to say something to them (my wife especially hates this) but what I always seem to do is say hello and ask them if I can shake their hand.

I do no tknow if it is a nervous impulse, but they always seem to be happy when I say this and almost everyone I have met has shaken my hand.

I think it kind of shows them respect, but also says what is on your mind (oh my god I am your biggest fan) without saying it.

It alwyas works for me...
Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 PM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Is it possible to care about someone too much?

I am worried that I might ...... love someone in an unhealthy way.
I wonder if I base too much thought around her sometimes.

I think I might be too young to think about someone so deeply
Old 06-17-2005, 06:20 AM   #164
War Child

Congrats and a toast for you and your sweetie;many more good years

It can be done with lots of love,patience and understanding
Old 06-17-2005, 06:47 AM   #165
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks for bringing back this thread. Whenever I read it, I'm reminded of my sincere respect and appreciation for people who take their marriages seriously and truly treat their spouses consistently with honor and kindness.

I have another question for you, nbc, if you don't mind...what do you think of maybe keeping a religious/spiritual wedding ceremony separate from a legal one? I've read of this as a possible solution to the gay marriage controversy; that is, allow gay couples to receive all the benefits and rights of what we now call legal marriage, but change it so that all couples, gay or straight, get something like a "civil union" or "legal partnership." Then "marriage" or "weddings" would be the sole province of religious or spiritual communities, who would be free to determine for themselves whether or not they choose to marry gay couples (or straight ones, LOL).

As a corollary to this question, how would you integrate some measure of prayerful/spiritual contemplation into a civil marriage ceremony which, for whatever reason, had to be carried out quickly and before the couple would have time to plan a ceremony for family, friends, and the faith community?

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.