Ask the native Dubliner..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been reading in the Irish and British papers about the traffic from County Meath and surrounding areas to Dublin is so bad, developers are looking to build a highway right through Hill of Tara - which I'm sure you know, is a significant spot in Ireland - historically, archaeologically and so on.
How do you feel about this? Do you think its sad to be building a roadway through an ancient site, or do you think its a necessity with Ireland being built up and modernized?

It is not going right through the hill as I understand it...it will come pretty close to the hill but will be going around it....

....that being said there is a lot of arheological sites around Tara, hill forts, monuments etc, and I'm sure there are plenty of undiscovered sites in that general vicinity as well. I would at least like some major achaeological excavation of the proposed motorway path before anything goes ahead. I don't particularly like how close it will be coming to the Hill of Tara, it kinda destroys the mystique of an area if you hear cars go flying past at 70mph.

I don't think it is a necessity anywhere to destroy the past in order to modernise....one of the reasons I hate Belfast, a lot of lovely older buildings especially in the town were pulled down in order to make way for these crappy modern concrete grey buildings.....Anyway important parts of a country's past in my eyes need protected, they provide a sense of mystery and imagination which we don't get an awful lot of these days;)

BonosSaint said:
Then would you recommend At Swim-Two-Birds? The description seems offbeat enough to interest me.

do you mean "At Swim, Two Boys"?

because i tried reading it and found it very difficult -- it assumed an intimacy with Irish history that i simply don't have.

(i say this as an American to another American, but some Americans know quite a great deal about Irish history, and perhaps you do, but if you don't, i think it would be quite a challenge)

But your assumption was dead-on, Irvine. I am not intimate at all with Irish history.

Back
Top Bottom