Ask the Mormon - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Ask the Mormon

Hello. There was an interesting thread on the acceptance of certain kinds of spousal discipline in ultra-conservative religious societies. You can find the discussion on that article here: http://forum.interference.com/t110760.html

In the discourse of that thread, the basic beliefs and some common rumors about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka the Mormons) were brought up. This was my first foray into the "Free Your Mind" section of interference. I was actually searching for threads to find other Utahn fans when I stumbled upon this thread. Since others in the thread wondered what the Mormon perspective was, I offered mine.

Any way, there were many questions and comments about Mormonism but I feel it is more appropriate to continue any further discussion in another thread. I am a little hesitant to start this thread but since there seems to be some curiosity we'll go forward.

I first want to say that I am not trying to convert anybody nor am I acting as an official representative of the church. There are young women and young men that serve 18 and 24 month missions, respectively, as missionaries. All I am trying to do is provide a small corner in which people can approach a living, breathing, approachable Mormon and ask questions.

My first suggestion is to take a look at mormon.org. This is an official website for friends of other faiths and there is an excellent FAQ about our general beliefs. If there are any other members of the church out there, feel free to offer your insights and perspectives.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:59 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 AM
If you're looking for another Utah fan and Mormon, you could try to find Soul Always/U2traveller, she's banned from here but I'm sure she must frequent other U2 sites. (her banning had nothing to do with being a Mormon) She lives in Salt Lake City. I think I've seen other Utah fans here but I can't remember who. I hope they will surface now for you.

I think this is great that you are willing to talk and have a Q and A over this because some people are very judgemental of Mormons. I had a Grandma who was a Reorganized LDS and I have done family research at the LDS church. The lady in charge was very kind and helpful, even offering to take me to DC to the National Archives with her, until she found out I wasn't a member, then she snubbed me. But overall, the Mormons/LDSs I have known have been nice people who seem to honestly try to be kind.

If you want a discussion I have to say that while I respect the religion and the people who follow it, I personally have a big problem with the Joseph Smith story and believing he was a prophet. Yes I know the whole story and the more I find out the more I question. So I know I could never convert, but again I do not think anything bad about Mormons

Old 01-29-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Here are some of the original questions that got the ball rolling:

Mormon beliefs about Jesus:
- He was a created being and the brother of Lucifer.
- He was born as a result of Mary having sex with God.
- Jesus had to earn his own salvation, just like the rest of the created beings.
- Jesus is a "greater" being than other spirit children on the earth, but he has the same nature.
- Jesus was a polygamist.
- The atonement of Jesus took place in the Garden of Gethsemane and was for Adam's sin only.
- Our salvation begins with the atonement but is made complete by our good works.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:02 AM
and tell us that Salamander story.

db9
Old 01-29-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
New Yorker

Ok, was always wondering what goes on in the Mormon temples -- how come only Mormons can go in? How do you get into a Mormon church that is not your own? Do you carry a Mormon card or something? Seriously, because I'm Catholic and have no card.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Is Ken Jennings the second coming of Jesus?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

oh and what's the difference between a Jack-morman and a Joe Mormon?

help us out with that.

thx,
db9
Old 01-29-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 09:02 AM
and is it true Mormons believe that if you aren't married you can never reach the highest levels of Heaven?
Old 01-29-2005, 11:55 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

yes, i read somewhere that instead of a mansion in heaven they assigned u to like a trailer park w/a badly kept community pool

db9
Old 01-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Acrobat

You know i never really understood mormans.
I had a morman friend the couldnt drink soda and i think that
is just silly.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:40 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Ok, was always wondering what goes on in the Mormon temples -- how come only Mormons can go in? How do you get into a Mormon church that is not your own? Do you carry a Mormon card or something? Seriously, because I'm Catholic and have no card.
I don't know about the actual service part of the building but I have been into a LDS temple building many times. I used to visit the family research centres. Theres a sign in sheet at the counter that requires a visitors full name, suburb, and Ward. I'm not a member of the LDS so I just used to write a dash (ie a "-") in the Ward column. I don't know what happens in the actual service part of the building.

U2utah2U, over at U2.com there is a poster by the username of Bonoschin whom I believe is a Mormon.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:21 PM   #12
The Fly

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Hey guys. I'll respond later this weekend. My wife's cousin's family is coming over for dinner. There are some good quesitons though. (And some funny rumors / cultural aspets of Mormonism.)
Old 01-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
When a temple is built, there is a span of time in which any person can go into the temple and see for themselves what is inside, so there are no secrets that the public dont know about. But we then dedicate the temple which means that it is a house of God here on the earth, and we all know that Gods house is very clean, and it is where the Holy Ghost dwells, so it is a very sacred place. So after it is dedicated, before anybody enters they must be clean, and pure, as we know that no unclean thing can enter the house of God. Not all mormons can enter the temple, only those that are clean and pure and dignified, and that is where the card comes in to place. It is called a temple recommend, and you get one of these only before you have a meeting with your Bishop(a position in the church, without pay, actually there is not a position in the church where they get paid, it is all service)and he will ask you if you are worthy to enter the house of God. He will then give you a card if you feel that you are ready and worthy to enter the House of GOd. The mormon church is diffrent, andybody can go to the churches, you are all invited always, it doesnt matter who you are, this is where everybody on earth is imperfect and we are all down here together trying to perfect ourselves to be better people everyday. THat is what church is for, to go and learn and grow, and to try and be better people, and help other people together. So whenever you pass a church you can go without any hesitation, everybody there should welcome you. By the way there are so many superstitions out there that are untrue, so please do some study before you believe all the rumors!
Old 01-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by edgeboy
You know i never really understood mormans.
I had a morman friend the couldnt drink soda and i think that
is just silly.
or was it coffee, we believe in a thing called the word of wisdom, which was revealed to a prophet from God. "That first our bodys are temples of God(2Corinthians) and that if we destroy our body God will destroy us" something like that. Anyways so we abstain from drinking alchol, smoking, drugs, coffee, and the really bad teas(like black tea) but there are good teas(like apple, lemon,etc.)
overall the word of wisdom is everything that damages your body you should take care fo your body best you can, like eat meat sparingly, and candy sparingly, and soda or whatever, just to not do things to destroy the body(temple of GOd)
Old 01-29-2005, 05:46 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sneak
and is it true Mormons believe that if you aren't married you can never reach the highest levels of Heaven?
That is hard to explain here, it is not all true, but it is like a staircase and you need to start from the first step up, and you cant just jump up to the top step, I would have to explain alot before I got there. But if you see in mormon missionarys in the street(wearing white shirts with a black name tag) ask them(not the jehovas witness, alot of people get us confused with them)