Ask the Mormon - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2005, 08:46 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:02 AM
As a follow up to Fizz's questions:

Will Christians who do not attend a Mormon church go to heaven?

Old 01-30-2005, 09:36 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

There's a lot more to Islam than simply the extremism which is often reported in the media and I'm sure people would have questions about the faith which have nothing to do with violence or extremism. People here have questions about Christianity which go beyond "so do you all think it's okay to bomb family planning clinics?" or "do you all think gay people should be beaten to death?" so it's conceivable that people have questions about Islam other than "so are you all suicide bombing fundamentalists?"
I'm assuming that is what people here would want to ask about, not the basics we already know.

Old 01-30-2005, 09:38 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:

1) What do you believe about members of other religions or those who don't believe in any religion? Do you believe yours is the only "true" religion?

I am sorry to say I have heard Mormon children tell my kids and other kids that theirs was the only 'true' church and that everyone else was hell bound. Not saying this speaks for everyone, of course.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #49
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:02 AM
Can we please stay on the topic of Mormon and Mormon questions? This thread started out really peaceful and I'd like to keep it that way.

Any Muslim members, feel free to start a similar thread. I could possibly participate since I had 2 years of Islamic studies.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 01-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

I am sorry to say I have heard Mormon children tell my kids and other kids that theirs was the only 'true' church and that everyone else was hell bound. Not saying this speaks for everyone, of course.
Oh have you???????? We do believe that The church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints is the only true church on the earth today, why you ask? Something called Apostasy and Restoration-if you want to read- I just did a search and found it-http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/basic/gospel/restoration/Apostasy_EOM.htm

We believe in the same church that Jesus Christ organised when he was on the earth- meaning- Prophets, apostles, etc...
And yes there are false prophets, that is why we have the "comforter" or the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost to confirm truth to us through- Galatians 5:22-23, and you can know if he is a prophet of God, or a false prophet.
I dont know why those kids would say that, but I really dont think they would say that in those words " your hell bound". They may have said that they believe there church to be the only true church on the earth, but I would hope that they didnt say hell bound, because its not appropiate. I would hope that all the members of our church would respect all other religions, because that is what we teach.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:42 PM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
As a follow up to Fizz's questions:

Will Christians who do not attend a Mormon church go to heaven?
Its not about going to the Mormon church, its more about recieving the principles and ordinances of the fullness of the gospel. There is so much to explain about Priesthood, who has authority here on earth to act in Gods name, should it be given to every person?, Should it be given to the person who knows the bible the best-No- or let me ask you this, how was Moses chosen to be a prophet? He didnt know how to speak, why did God choose him? I'm not only talking about prophets but when Jesus was on the earth he gave his 12 Apostles the Authority to act in his name by the laying on of hands. John the Baptist- why was he baptising people? Because he had the authority of God to baptise, not just any person can just start a church, or baptise, they have to be called of God. I would suggest that you read a short biography about the Mormons and how the church started, and where we got our authority(Priesthood).
Old 01-30-2005, 03:02 PM   #52
Refugee

Quote:
I have a few more questions, sorry if any of these sound absolutely ridiculous but I know next to nothing about your religion, or indeed about most religions.

1) What do you believe about members of other religions or those who don't believe in any religion? Do you believe yours is the only "true" religion?

2) From looking at the website you recomended it seems you hold a lot of beliefs which are typical of Christianity but I've often heard Christians dismiss Mormons as part of a "cult" or "sect." How would you describe the relationship betwen your religion and other Christian denominations - is it similar to the way that, for example, a Baptist and a Methodist might disagree on some smaller issues but still consider themselves to be part of the same religion, or would you consider yourselves a different religion entirely to other Christian denominations?

3) Here's a quote from the website: "God commanded Lehi to lead a small group of people to the American continent. There they became a great civilization." What was the "great civilization" - is there any sort of evidence or proof of this or is it just accepted as a matter of faith?

4) I've often heard people talking about resources provided by your church for family history research. Why is this important to your religion? (I did look at the webpage about this but the explanation there wasn't very clear.)

That's all for now. Thanks in advance to whoever answers.
1) We believe our church to be restored to the fullness as it was destroyed in the apostasty- not literally destryoed, but I meen more that man took over the church, with there changes of many important ordinances and changed the bible to fit with there religion- and that is why there were so many breakoffs of the church, because it became a church of man and not of GOd. And we believe that God has restored his church once again on the earth. Sorry Im not going to go in too much detail

2) Well we are not a cult- however please dont get us mixed up with other cults that have broken off from our church(RLDS) or some others out there. I think that there are many principles that we share the same with of Christian churches, many- but there were many important ordinaces and teachings lost during the Apostasy. But the basic principles that we believe with other christian churches are- we believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, that he died for us, that he took upon him the sins of the world, and he is our brother. We try to live by his teachings- to be humble, to be praful, to love one another, to be honest, true, chaste, benevolent, and all things that are good- service. etc...

3) Lehi is a prophet from the Book of Mormon, Lehi lived in Jerusalem with his family. The people of Jerusalem wanted to take the life of Lehi because it was a wicked people, who would not hearken to the teachings of God. God warned Lehi to leave with his family to the desert. They obeyed and left to the desert with there family's, they arrived to the red sea, and they built a ship, and crossed the ocean and arrived to the American Continent. That is why its called Another Testament of Jesus Christ- as there were people in the old Continent, there were also people in the New continent. And yes there is much proof of there civilization, more so in Mexico. I would really recommend that you read the Book of Mormon. Im not going to go in great detail, because you can get a free copy of this book any where, and you can find out for yourself if it is true, read the book, and then ask God if what you read is true, and b the Holy Ghost you will know.

4) I will try to find an article to explain this, it this subject is very hard to explain in writing. But yes it is important for us, and i will get back with you on this!
Old 01-30-2005, 03:36 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:02 AM
tells about the salamander and how he helped Joe Smith write that book.

db9
Old 01-30-2005, 03:43 PM   #54
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
tells about the salamander and how he helped Joe Smith write that book.

db9
I dont know what your talking about????????????
But Joseph Smith didnt write the book he translated the book!
Old 01-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23

I dont know what your talking about????????????
But Joseph Smith didnt write the book he translated the book!

try this for starters

http://www.lds-mormon.com/silltoe.shtml
Old 01-30-2005, 04:09 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:

try this for starters

http://www.lds-mormon.com/silltoe.shtml
Yep, that is a great resource for knowledge- its like reading tabloids, I have read many, many anti mormon books, and I have been on a mission for 2 years hearing tons of anti mormon, and it is all trash, and it hasnt affected my testimony of the gospel one bit. Because when the Holy Ghost confirms the truth to you, you cant neglect the truth. And you can find the true anwsers to every single one of those things they say there, but i didnt even read it because its a waste of my time.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:13 PM   #57
The Fly

I have a question... Why were Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, and B.H. Roberts' the doubting Thomas' to the Book of Mormon?

.Nostradamus
Old 01-30-2005, 04:40 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Nostradamus
I have a question... Why were Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer, and B.H. Roberts' the doubting Thomas' to the Book of Mormon?

.Nostradamus
Actually that is incorrect.

I can't speak for BH Roberts, a a historian he had sour grapes.

As far Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer-

(2 of the orginal witnesses of the BofM) -both remained steadfast in their testimonies of the authenticity to orgins of the BofM.
Oliver Cowdery did so in a court of law, David Whitmer thru the end of his days.

db9
Old 01-30-2005, 05:41 PM   #59
Refugee

Quote:

Actually that is incorrect.

I can't speak for BH Roberts, a a historian he had sour grapes.

As far Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer-

(2 of the orginal witnesses of the BofM) -both remained steadfast in their testimonies of the authenticity to orgins of the BofM.
Oliver Cowdery did so in a court of law, David Whitmer thru the end of his days.

db9
exactly right- thanks
Old 01-30-2005, 05:56 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23

Yep, that is a great resource for knowledge- its like reading tabloids, I have read many, many anti mormon books, and I have been on a mission for 2 years hearing tons of anti mormon, and it is all trash, and it hasnt affected my testimony of the gospel one bit. Because when the Holy Ghost confirms the truth to you, you cant neglect the truth. And you can find the true anwsers to every single one of those things they say there, but i didnt even read it because its a waste of my time.
So, is it fair to say that the Holy Spirit confims the Book of Mormon as truth for you?