Ask the Melon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The_Edge89 said:
Why are people acting so egoistically in the thread about the "Bad" sample in the "Even better than the real thing" forum?

Group mentalities tend to think alike.

Melon

thrillme said:
Why do 0 and O look so similar?

;)

But whether they look similar depends on the font.

O 0
O 0
O 0
O 0

Melon

Last edited:
diamond said:
Melon-
Have you read the Davinci Code
and if so,
what are your thoughts?

I haven't read it, but I am loosely familiar with its background material. Logically, I doubt that any "secret society" exists that actually knows the "truth" about Jesus. Do I question the orthodox account, as presented in the New Testament? Sure. However, I would say that a lot of theology presented are really a regurgitation of Gnostic theology, which was, loosely speaking, "less conservative." Whether or not Gnostic theology is more or less accurate than that presented in the New Testament is up for debate. The fact, though, is that there is no proof one way or the other.

What I can say, though, is that medieval Christianity put a heavy emphasis on finding visible "signs of faith." This was the generation looking for the "Holy Grail" (what part in the Bible ever made that cup *that* important?) and invented the "Shroud of Turin" (carbon-dating proved it to be a fraud). This may just have been an extension of that trend.

But I didn't read the book. I will have to someday.

Melon

Should Aaron and I get the wedding cake with the dots on it or the criss crosses?

I hate my job...what should I do to make it a little less painful until I quit?

sharky said:
Should Aaron and I get the wedding cake with the dots on it or the criss crosses?

Are the flavors different? If not, get the criss crosses. I just like saying "crisssssss crosssssseessssss." :sexywink:

I hate my job...what should I do to make it a little less painful until I quit?

Have me take over your job! I already know my first job will be boring, so I might as well have a boring job at the WSJ, while I situate myself. :sexywink:

Melon

diamond said:
Melon-
When's the last time you got funky w somebody?:sexywink:

And was it any good?:wink:

I was brought up too well to talk about this kind of stuff. :sexywink:

But let's say I'm in love with a great guy, which is why I hate stereotypes. I know from experience that they aren't necessarily true.

Melon

neutral said:
I remember downloading a film you made around when I first joined Interference...I think. How did it do, were you pleased with the response?

Ugh...I find it to be terribly flawed, from a technical standpoint. The film ended up having interlacing issues, and once I corrected them, I had to start over completely. I just haven't had time to do it.

The project I turned in had the interlacing and sound issues. I also find it a bit boring now. The current script I'm writing has a lot more "action" in it, without compromising plot.

Melon

Mullen4Prez said:
Melon what your thoughts on Jack Black ?

Hmm...I think he's so-so. I really don't have an opinion one way or another.

Melon

What are your thoughts on the receding role of the philanthropic patron in society, with regards to art? Do you feel the loss of this presence has allowed for less bourgeois/elitist media... or has relevant and meaningful expression been the sacrifice with the insurgence of the client and special interest groups (i.e. commercialization)?

Thanks.

:up:

cujo said:
What are your thoughts on the receding role of the philanthropic patron in society, with regards to art? Do you feel the loss of this presence has allowed for less bourgeois/elitist media... or has relevant and meaningful expression been the sacrifice with the insurgence of the client and special interest groups (i.e. commercialization)?

Well, I don't know if artistic philanthropy has really eroded, really. Rich people are always looking for excuses to:

1) Get a tax break.
2) Get recognition for that donation for that tax break.

The only thing that has really declined has been government funding of art. I'm not really sure how I feel about that, per se. I mean, I don't think it's good, but it seems as if that the private sector is picking up the slack, thus far.

"Commercialization" has always been a factor, really, depending on the biases of the "art patron." It could be argued that the Renaissance was nothing more than gross commercialization of art, as art was reduced to nothing more than what the Catholic Church could use and, depending on how "charitable" of a mood it was in, buy. Looking at modern art over the last century and a half, this has really been the only time in history where art was determined by what the artist wanted, rather than what the "market" demanded.

I think that what you seemingly are objecting to is the "democratization" of art in that art no longer appeals solely to an elitist subset. Now that art has more wide appeal, those same elitists are now crying foul. But, really, that's nothing new. Modernists, in particular, hated anything that had mass appeal. Postmodernism, on the other hand, allowed for mass democratization of everything, so I guess it has to be wondered if "scarcity" is really what gives anything value. Now that nothing in art is truly "scarce," does it have the same value that it once did?

Melon

AcrobatMan said:
:sexywink: melon

is there anything you want to ask me ?

"If there was nothing standing in your way, what would you want to do with your life?"

When people I know are puzzled with what they want to study in college, I always ask them this question and send them on their way. I'm always interested in the responses I get. :sexywink:

Melon

BrownEyedBoy said:
Do you ever get called a Mr. Know it All? Do you ever get asked "do you think you know it all"? (This is really an honest question...)

Hmm. I really don't. I grew up being accused of arrogance, which seems to be more socially acceptable the older you are.

I occasionally get accused of arrogance here, but this is the internet and I have no one to impress. People can take it or leave it. :wink:

Melon

Do you do anything about it? It's just that I get that a lot too even though when they get to know me they realize the opposite. When someone tells you that you think you're all "high and mighty" what do you answer?

Just out of curiosity... :wink:

Here's another one: what's your favorite book? favorite quote?

Last edited:
Dear Melon;

Do you think you sold out at all with this hugely succesful 'Ask The' thread? I do. I envision you in the future directing great big American flag-waving blockbusters, where the heroes chomp on cigars and the villains talk funny and wear oh so mysterious sunglasses. :wink:

Ant.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Do you do anything about it? It's just that I get that a lot too even though when they get to know me they realize the opposite. When someone tells you that you think you're all "high and mighty" what do you answer?

"Who cares what you think?" That's what I answer. :sexywink:

Here's another one: what's your favorite book? favorite quote?

Favorite book: "The Ground Beneath Her Feet," by Salman Rushdie

Favorite quote: "Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law." - Romans 13:8

Melon

Anthony said:
Dear Melon;

Do you think you sold out at all with this hugely succesful 'Ask The' thread? I do. I envision you in the future directing great big American flag-waving blockbusters, where the heroes chomp on cigars and the villains talk funny and wear oh so mysterious sunglasses. :wink:

Ant.

"Who cares what you think?" :sexywink:

Melon

Back
Top Bottom