Ask the Melon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Souly said:
An apartment building has 200 apartments. If the rent is $300 per month, the rental agent is able to rent all 200 apartments. However, the owner knows from past experience that, for each additional $25 increase in monthly rent, 2 additional apartments will become vacant. The rental agent receives a bonus when the building is fully ocupied and is urging that the rent remain at $300 per month.

How much would advive the owner to charge for rent? :hmm:

In the best interest of the rental agent, he would certainly advise $300 a month for rent, because he's looking for that bonus.

In the best interest of the owner, he should charge $1400 a month and fill 112 apartments with maximized revenue of $156,800. Anything more or less than that, he will make less money.

300*200=60,000

1350*116=156,600
1375*114=156,750
1400*112=156,800 <--
1425*110=156,750
1450*108=156,600

Melon

Kieran McConville said:
How about, will you be updating your blog regularly and/or letting people know it exists?

I wrote an article in my blog yesterday. I haven't forgotten about it!

And it's difficult to advertise my blog when there are so few opportunities to do so. I've been trying to create a dynamic signature image reflecting the latest entries in my blog, so people can see and click on them directly. But that has turned out to be a bit of a pain in the ass.

Melon

The_Edge89 said:
*Sigh*
Will I do good at my test today?
Will I ever get a girlfriend?
Will I get U2 tickets?

1) Did you study for your test? Do you pay attention in class?
2) Well, let's put it this way. Once you get out of HS and go to college, everything is different.
3) I don't think any of us will.

Which appeared first the chicken or the egg?

The egg. The mother of the chicken, the "proto-chicken," would have laid the egg that created the first chicken. The "proto-chicken," however, was not a chicken. Everything has to be born.

Besides, eggs have long existed before chickens anyway (i.e., dinosaur eggs).

Melon

1) Did you study for your test? Do you pay attention in class?
Yes I did study, yes I do, still gives me a bad feeling now when it's over...
2) I'm just about to start HS
3):(

Last edited:
The_Edge89 said:
2) I'm just about to start HS

Well, don't worry. You've got a long life ahead of you. Concentrate on your schoolwork (it may not be "popular" in HS, but in college, "stupidity" is no longer valued) and be confident in yourself.

Most people I know fretted about popularity through HS, only to go on to college wondering why they weren't themselves more. At least here, most of the "popular kids" grow up to be colossal embarrassments.

So, in short: take your schoolwork seriously.

Melon

ladywithspinninghead said:
Is there a correlation between the groundhog seeing its shadow and another 6 weeks (or not) of winter?

No. It's coincidence, if he's correct. There have been many years where he's wrong.

Melon

Scarletwine said:
When do we get to read your thesis?

I never wrote one. I got so mired in postmodernism, which states that "everything has been done before" that I couldn't get myself to write anything. I wanted to write something original, and Emerson College was not equipped to be a research school. Instead, I ended up making a 27 minute film.

Here's the closest you'll find to a thesis:

http://altweb.emerson.edu/courses/Spring03/MA663/papers/dystopia.pdf

I was going to expand upon this topic.

Melon

melon said:

In the best interest of the rental agent, he would certainly advise $300 a month for rent, because he's looking for that bonus.

In the best interest of the owner, he should charge $1400 a month and fill 112 apartments with maximized revenue of $156,800. Anything more or less than that, he will make less money.

300*200=60,000

1350*116=156,600
1375*114=156,750
1400*112=156,800 <--
1425*110=156,750
1450*108=156,600

Melon

:up:

Will Brad and Jennifer get back together?

Were Brad and Angelina more than friends?

Will John Kerry run again?

Where did Teresa Heinz Kerry disappear to?

joyfulgirl said:
Was Abe gay?

It's up in the air. Reading the claims so far, it sounds like he very well might have been. No one's had access to the source material, though, to scrutinize it.

Of course, as we both know, no one even bothers to be objective about this anymore. The GOP wants to keep their "hero" heterosexual, and some historians gravitate towards anything controversial.

Of course, the GOP ignores the fact that the GOP of Lincoln's days is actually the modern Democratic Party. In the early 1870s, conservative Northern Democrats flooded the Republican Party to escape the stigma attached to the Democratic Party as being the party of Southern confederates. Northern liberals then flooded the Democratic Party. Southern Democrats reflected the party's conservative origins until the civil rights movement of the 1960s, when they started defecting to the GOP, which shared their bigoted, racist beliefs. So much for "doing the right thing," eh?

But, back to gay presidents, Lincoln's predecessor, James Buchanan, was probably gay too. He was just "fortunate" that his lover died before he could become president.

Melon

Judah said:
Do the brightest stars really (eventually) have the blackest holes?

The brightest stars are the biggest stars typically. If they are at least 3x the mass of the sun, it is thought that the stars will eventually collapse into a black hole. However, some are "lucky" enough to explode into a supernova, ejecting enough matter to stabilize into a white dwarf. If this doesn't happen, though, it will form a black hole.

Melon

MrsSpringsteen said:
Will Brad and Jennifer get back together?

I doubt it.

Were Brad and Angelina more than friends?

If I listen to the National Enquirer, then yes.

Will John Kerry run again?

I hope not.

Where did Teresa Heinz Kerry disappear to?

Back to the anonymity from where she came prior to Kerry's campaign.

Melon

Souly said:
What is your favorite holiday?

I generally prefer New Year's nowadays. The others have lost their excitement for me, unfortunately.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom