Ask the lesbian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When did you know? How cool were your parents? Do you think on a whole that lesbians get less flack for their orientation than gay men or have you found it to be about the same? Other than the legal restrictions which we have discussed ad nauseum on these forums, what discriminations have you faced? Men most often value on women based on their beauty or lack thereof. Do lesbians generally?

I don't really have any questions yet, but I'm glad to see the resurgence of the "Ask the..." threads. I think they're great for building new dialogue between members with different life experiences. :up:

What do you think of Ellen Degeneres? Not so much asking you as to whether or not you think she's hot, but whether she has done much/any for the Lesbian community?

Ant.

BonosSaint said:
When did you know? How cool were your parents? Do you think on a whole that lesbians get less flack for their orientation than gay men or have you found it to be about the same? Other than the legal restrictions which we have discussed ad nauseum on these forums, what discriminations have you faced? Men most often value on women based on their beauty or lack thereof. Do lesbians generally?

From when I was very little, elementary school.

My parents were actually really great about it, I was lucky. My mom wants to be a grandmother, and that's hard on her, but other than that they've been very loving and supportive.

Well society puts lesbians into two categories butch and lipstick. I probably fall into the lipstick, therefore have it much easier than others. I do think lesbians have it much easier than gay men.

The majority of my experience with discrimination was in college and most of it from women.

Anthony said:
What do you think of Ellen Degeneres? Not so much asking you as to whether or not you think she's hot, but whether she has done much/any for the Lesbian community?

Ant.

I think it's great. I actually find her comedy annoying, but her bravery I adore. Plus she's dating the beautiful Portia De Rossi.

nbcrusader said:
What are your thoughts on "lesbian-themed" shows or plot lines on television?

To be honest I haven't really watched any:reject:

I've heard "The L Word" is excellent but I don't have showtime.

But as far as Gay TV in general. I think Will and Grace started out great, I think the fact that they were able to make fun of themselves and the way they did it was really cool, but has sense lost it's appeal. But Six Feet Under is my favorite because the homosexuality is just part of the every day life, it's not an agenda or anything like that.

I often feel like a subject rather than a person. Certain individuals are extremely irritating but you just try to do your best to educate them, that's all you can do.

Do you want to get married or does it not matter to you?

If you do, Canada welcomes you and your partner.:wink:

If a girl who was bisexual and who you love wants to make out with you and a man, would you say yes? If yes, would he be allowed only to watch or more?

Has being a lesbian any influence on if you ´re feminist or not? I find that many lesbians are interested in women´s topics, does that apply to you as well?

trevster2k said:
Do you want to get married or does it not matter to you?

If you do, Canada welcomes you and your partner.:wink:

Absolutely, but I don't feel like I should move to do so.

The conservatives will someday be overuled, and I'll be able to marry here. Just like segregation was destroyed so will this ban.

Why should gay marriage be a right?

What function does it serve, should homosexuals be entitled to the same benefits as heterosexual couples?

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
If a girl who was bisexual and who you love wants to make out with you and a man, would you say yes? If yes, would he be allowed only to watch or more?
No offense but this is the type of thing I've had to deal with ever since I came out. Guys always asking me to make out with a girl so they can watch. Typical male fantasy. Ironically those same guys are usually homophobes and don't want us to have the same rights.

I'm not saying you are like this.

To answer your question. No. I don't know any true bi-sexuals. Personally I couldn't date one, I couldn't deal with the "sharing".

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Has being a lesbian any influence on if you ´re feminist or not? I find that many lesbians are interested in women´s topics, does that apply to you as well?

I think being a woman has made me a feminist. I don't know if being a lesbian has any effect on that, for I don't know any differently. Now by no means am I one of those hardcore feminist that get pissed off when someone holds the door for me or something like that. I know women like that and I find them unbearable. But I don't understand women that sit back and are ok with not being equal to men. One of my dearest friends belongs to a church where women aren't allowed to play any role in the church except cook and it just infuriates me.

A_Wanderer said:
Why should gay marriage be a right?

I think the better question is why shouldn't it?

A_Wanderer said:

What function does it serve, should homosexuals be entitled to the same benefits as heterosexual couples?

Absolutely we should have the same rights. Any free country that allows and accepts having 2nd class citizens, is not a true free country.

Do Miss America said:

Is that the girl from E?
Yep.

022.jpg

Do Miss America said:

My parents were actually really great about it, I was lucky. My mom wants to be a grandmother, and that's hard on her, but other than that they've been very loving and supportive.

Woud you consider adopting a child in the future? Do you think society needs to be more educated about the gay community and, therefore, people would be more open to the idea of gay marriage? Do you feel in anyway inferior in certain situatons (such as in school, the workplace etc) because of your sexuality? What do you think can be done to combat homophobia? Do you or would you, ever consider campaigning for gay marriage, gay rights etc.

Doozer can answer too, if she wants :)

is it true that lesbians are actually after men, but since men always want what they cant have, women become lesbians and revel in their unattainability? and then they find out that men are actually scumbags and they dont really need them?

another one, why do lesbians contribute to the new ideology of evil and why are they trying to destroy us, men, and our simple pleasures by effectively gaying up women?

please explain

:huh:

and for the girl from E :drool: whatever that is

Last edited:
Lara Mullen said:

Woud you consider adopting a child in the future?
I'm all for homosexual couples adopting children. I have some friends who've been together for 10 years they have a little boy. They're excellent parents, and they find it very important to have positive male figures in his life as well, so the grandfather and uncle play big roles in the boy's life.

Personally I have no desire to have kids, things may change in the future but we'll see.

Lara Mullen said:

Do you think society needs to be more educated about the gay community and, therefore, people would be more open to the idea of gay marriage?
Absolutely. I think both homosexuals and heterosexuals alike should play a part in this.

Lara Mullen said:

Do you feel in anyway inferior in certain situatons (such as in school, the workplace etc) because of your sexuality?
I don't know about inferior but there have been plenty of times where I've been made to feel abnormal. I worked at a place after college where I was asked not to bring my girlfriend to the Christmas party. So yeah I've had several situations like that.

Lara Mullen said:

What do you think can be done to combat homophobia? Do you or would you, ever consider campaigning for gay marriage, gay rights etc.

Education is definately the key to combat ignorance. But the problem is religion fuels so much of homophobia. Religion is a funny thing, some people refuse to believe dinosaurs existed because of their interpretations of scripture. It's going to take a combination of leaders from the church, education, and a small effort from the gay community.

all_i_want said:
is it true that lesbians are actually after men, but since men always want what they cant have, women become lesbians and revel in their unattainability? and then they find out that men are actually scumbags and they dont really need them?
Something like that, but I can't really reveal the whole secret.

all_i_want said:

another one, why do lesbians contribute to the new ideology of evil and why are they trying to destroy us, men, and our simple pleasures by effectively gaying up women?

please explain
Honey you don't need us to destroy you, you all do a pretty good job yourselves.:wink:

Actually some of my best friends are straight men.

Do Miss America said:

Education is definately the key to combat ignorance. But the problem is religion fuels so much of homophobia. Religion is a funny thing, some people refuse to believe dinosaurs existed because of their interpretations of scripture. It's going to take a combination of leaders from the church, education, and a small effort from the gay community.

I would totally agree with this. For 2 years my gay friend has marched in the gay pride paradae here and took my Mum & I along with him. At the end of the parade, which is at our city hall, there was always a oncgregation from the church preaching which I thought was really awful. It really put a dampner on things as sometimes there was a bit of conflict.

I have one more question actually, there isn't very many places here that cater for the gay community, we only have 2 gay clubs and a bar. I have some gay and lesbian friends so I would sometimes go out with them to these places. One of my friends is really really eager that gay people should be treated equally in clubs and bars. When we go to a straight bar he does not mind being open with his boyfriend, because of the places we go to this has never been an issue with people but some people may look, nothing has ever been said. However, when we go to a gay bar I am not allowed to show any signs of affection with a male I may bring with me, not even allowed to hold hands and sometimes I feel the people there don't want straight people in their club. This makes me appreciate how my friend may feel in certain bars when he is out but I think the attitude that is displayed in the gay clubs is exactly the treatment that gay people don't want. My friend always said I was being paranoid until a boy threatened to hit me one week when I accidentally tripped and fell into his friend who spilled a drink over this boy and complained about me not going to a girly straight bar later in the evening to someone I was with. Does this happen in America? Do you think that in order for a gay community to get more recognition they also have to be aware of straight folk who may want to support their gay friends/ family and welcome them?

Lara Mullen said:

Does this happen in America? Do you think that in order for a gay community to get more recognition they also have to be aware of straight folk who may want to support their gay friends/ family and welcome them?

I haven't witnessed it. I've brought many straight couples with me to clubs and they've never had problems.

I'm sorry to hear that, and this is one of the problem's we have facing us. We're under a microscope. Straight people don't get judged by what straight people do. In many eyes we aren't white, black, Catholic, Jewish etc we're homosexual, and we get judged the actions of a few. It's sad and it furiates me. There are so many different walks of life who are homosexual, yet we're all lumped into one.

Back
Top Bottom