Ask the Homo - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2005, 12:04 PM   #391
Refugee
 
Muggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Posts: 2,033
Local Time: 03:03 AM
hey irvine....

I noticed that you ignored my question... I was asking you about "homo" art (is a new gender of art if you didn't know it).

I have the feeling, not only this time but when I was reading another threads, that you ignore me or maybe you don't like me (without knowing me
__________________

__________________
Muggsy is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 12:26 PM   #392
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy
hey irvine....

I noticed that you ignored my question... I was asking you about "homo" art (is a new gender of art if you didn't know it).

I have the feeling, not only this time but when I was reading another threads, that you ignore me or maybe you don't like me (without knowing me


i'm sorry if i ever gave you that impression -- it can be hard to keep up with this thread, since i often do things other than frequent FYM all day (although, judging by today, you'd probably be correct in thinking that post here was all i did). i generally like your posts, and i've never intentionally not responded.

i'm not familiar specifically with the term "homo" art. could you please explain?
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 12:33 PM   #393
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
u2bonogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Back on the blue crack after a long break
Posts: 6,726
Local Time: 04:03 AM
This is a little off topic but are you located right in D.C.?
Starsforu2 and I live close to there
Do you go to the smithsonian often?
__________________
u2bonogirl is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #394
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
This is a little off topic but are you located right in D.C.?
Starsforu2 and I live close to there
Do you go to the smithsonian often?


i do live right in DC.

i went to the museums a lot when i first move to town, these days i only seem to go when i have guests.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #395
Refugee
 
Muggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Posts: 2,033
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


i'm not familiar specifically with the term "homo" art. could you please explain?


well....I read the TASCHEN catalogue ( taschen is one of the biggest publishing houses, specialized in arts and fotography), and I saw a book named "homo Art" which compilates work from people like Mappletorpe and another artists who have different concepts about homosexuality, defying the usual stereotypes and exploring all the "gay" experience from different points of view. Mappletorpe was gay, for example, but some of the artists in this book are straight too.

there was an artist who called my atention... tommy... I don't remember his name (i will look for it in the mag later), he says that he knew he was gay since he was a kid and he likes tall guys, with muscles. He writes and draws comics and his characters are the kind of guys that he likes, but they are really stereotyped (big, squared chin guys, with leather clothes and sex toys), and he draws them in explicit scenes. I found that really interesting cuz he's playing with the idea many people have around gay men and their sexual behavior.

I could see a little bit of this book in a sale and I really think that it opens your mind. I think that being "gay" or "straight" is just a part of each one's identity but I admit that it is a really big part of our lives and that's one of the things this book shows.

but, at the same time I think that... althought this book is a serious job and it has a very neutral tone, taking out the beauty and the erotism in the images, is really an exception cuz I'm still suspicious about the art who talks about "minorities", cuz it can fall into the same stereotypes from the "normal" people.
__________________
Muggsy is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #396
War Child
 
myusernamehere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The question is; where are you?
Posts: 768
Local Time: 03:03 AM
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I've only read part of this thread...it's quite long:

If you were stranded on a desert island; which three albums would you want to have with you?
__________________
myusernamehere is offline  
Old 06-17-2005, 08:41 PM   #397
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 04:03 AM
What books, films, albums, etc. would you consider part of (for lack of a better term) a "gay canon"? Besides Angels in America (God, I adore that play...)
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #398
Blue Crack Addict
 
Doozer61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Setting up house on Scooter's Star
Posts: 20,218
Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
This is a little off topic but are you located right in D.C.?
Starsforu2 and I live close to there

so, does this mean if i go to DC in October for a HUD conference, we will meet up?? And Irvine, too!
__________________
Doozer61 is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #399
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy




well....I read the TASCHEN catalogue ( taschen is one of the biggest publishing houses, specialized in arts and fotography), and I saw a book named "homo Art" which compilates work from people like Mappletorpe and another artists who have different concepts about homosexuality, defying the usual stereotypes and exploring all the "gay" experience from different points of view. Mappletorpe was gay, for example, but some of the artists in this book are straight too.

there was an artist who called my atention... tommy... I don't remember his name (i will look for it in the mag later), he says that he knew he was gay since he was a kid and he likes tall guys, with muscles. He writes and draws comics and his characters are the kind of guys that he likes, but they are really stereotyped (big, squared chin guys, with leather clothes and sex toys), and he draws them in explicit scenes. I found that really interesting cuz he's playing with the idea many people have around gay men and their sexual behavior.

I could see a little bit of this book in a sale and I really think that it opens your mind. I think that being "gay" or "straight" is just a part of each one's identity but I admit that it is a really big part of our lives and that's one of the things this book shows.

but, at the same time I think that... althought this book is a serious job and it has a very neutral tone, taking out the beauty and the erotism in the images, is really an exception cuz I'm still suspicious about the art who talks about "minorities", cuz it can fall into the same stereotypes from the "normal" people.


all very interesting ... i will check it out at my local independent bookstore (cause we homos like to suppose the little guy over Borders and Barnes and Noble)
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #400
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by myusernamehere
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I've only read part of this thread...it's quite long:

If you were stranded on a desert island; which three albums would you want to have with you?


Achtung Baby
Automatic for the People
Born in the USA (first cassette i ever owned, got it when i was no more than 6)
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 06-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #401
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax
What books, films, albums, etc. would you consider part of (for lack of a better term) a "gay canon"? Besides Angels in America (God, I adore that play...)

wow. fantastic question, and i don't even feel remotely qualified to answer.

however, i will.

just not today -- am exhausted and have a big old film festival party to attend tonight. got some schmoozing to do, so i better go get rested up.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 04:31 PM   #402
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 04:03 AM
How do you feel about the news that Jude Law is an admitted cheater?

And are you ever going to answer my last question?
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 12:31 AM   #403
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 01:03 AM
interesting thread.....special smiley for ya!


__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 07:19 AM   #404
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax
How do you feel about the news that Jude Law is an admitted cheater?

And are you ever going to answer my last question?

Jude is too pretty for me to stay mad at him for too long.

i would love to answer your question, but work has been INSANE lately ... i'm also not sure if i'm qualified, to be honest.

but i haven't forgotten about it. i want to answer it, but it might take some time.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 07:22 AM   #405
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RedrocksU2
interesting thread.....special smiley for ya!



very cool!

thanks, and right back at you.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com