Ask the Homo - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2005, 08:24 AM   #316
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:40 PM
Gay TV depresses me, honestly. I don't really relate to any of the characters, and all I end up doing is getting mad.

I generally prefer animation, I guess. It's generally asexual or very flippant over sexual issues. I'm tired of watching relationship-obsessed sitcoms.

Melon

Old 05-26-2005, 08:30 AM   #317
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Gay TV depresses me, honestly. I don't really relate to any of the characters, and all I end up doing is getting mad.

I generally prefer animation, I guess. It's generally asexual or very flippant over sexual issues. I'm tired of watching relationship-obsessed sitcoms.

Melon
I understand that because my relationships and lifestyle don't resemble the hetero ones presented on TV either. I used to get depressed watching Sex & the City because having been a single woman in her 30's in NYC I knew that those characters were not in any way possible a realistic picture of the single life of the average woman in NYC (if anything, replace the women with gay men and you'd have more realistic characters). But then I opened up to it and realized that my girl talk in coffee shops wasn't so different than theirs even if we weren't DYING because we hadn't sex in 2 weeks, and Carrie's columns often zeroed in on things I could relate to.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #318
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:40 AM
on a scale from 1 to 10, where would you put bruce springsteen?

*********edited to say i just went back a couple pages and realized bruce springsteen was already discussed, ooops
Old 05-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #319
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

morrisey: gay, straight or neither as he claims?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #320
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
on a scale from 1 to 10, where would you put bruce springsteen?

*********edited to say i just went back a couple pages and realized bruce springsteen was already discussed, ooops

if 1 = totally straight and 10 = totally gay, he's probably a 2.

and for the record, i don't think ANYONE is either a 1 or a 10.

i'm probably a 7.5.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:55 PM   #321
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
morrisey: gay, straight or neither as he claims?

i honestly have no idea.

in general, if someone is being coy like that, it usually means that they don't want to alienate anyone -- usually, that then means that they're gay and don't want to scare of straight people.

however, Morissey's audience is probably substantailly gay, or at the very least sensitive and melancholic, so perhaps his saying that he was straight would alienate them.

my guess, if forced: has probably dated women, but is probably mostly interested in men these days.

for some reason, women tend to go back and forth more easily, and it seems that many lesbians in college wind up with men.

with men, it's the opposite. once they come to terms with their same-sex attraction and act upon it, there's little going back. usually.

but then again, Stephen Daldry (i think), the guy who directed "The Hours" is an out gay man.

he also just married a woman.

he says he loves this woman, and they have sex.

but he's still gay.

who am i to judge? sexuality is complex.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:15 PM   #322
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I used to get depressed watching Sex & the City because having been a single woman in her 30's in NYC I knew that those characters were not in any way possible a realistic picture of the single life of the average woman in NYC
You mean you weren't all sleeping with guys 10 years younger, living in fabulous apartments while wearing $500 pair of shoes? Damnitt. My whole view of NY women is shot.

Note to self: cancel trip to New York.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:19 PM   #323
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:40 PM
I don't have a question at this time, but I wanted to drop in and say that I like and respect you Irvine.

I appreciate your candor and perspective. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:20 PM   #324
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

for some reason, women tend to go back and forth more easily, and it seems that many lesbians in college wind up with men.

with men, it's the opposite. once they come to terms with their same-sex attraction and act upon it, there's little going back. usually.

but then again, Stephen Daldry (i think), the guy who directed "The Hours" is an out gay man.

he also just married a woman.

he says he loves this woman, and they have sex.

but he's still gay.

who am i to judge? sexuality is complex.
Do you ever feel these "flip floppers" in someway hurt the gay community? That it somehow fuels the ones that want to condition you to be straight?
Old 05-26-2005, 02:28 PM   #325
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

if 1 = totally straight and 10 = totally gay, he's probably a 2.

and for the record, i don't think ANYONE is either a 1 or a 10.

i'm probably a 7.5.

Interesting..reasons?
Old 05-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #326
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You mean you weren't all sleeping with guys 10 years younger, living in fabulous apartments while wearing $500 pair of shoes? Damnitt. My whole view of NY women is shot.

Note to self: cancel trip to New York.
Well some of us were sleeping with guys 10 years younger (and still do, or at least could, now that it's fashionable ), and some of us had fabulous apartments (that we shared with 3 other people, converting the living room into a bedroom), and some of us wore $500 shoes (that we got for $100 at discount stores). But most of us were not having so much (casual) sex that 2 weeks without it seemed like an unbearable eternity, and most of us were living in 5th floor dumpy tiny walk-up studios that cost $1200 (which would be cheap by today's NYC rental standards), and most of us chose shoes for walking comfort, not fashion statements. And most of us were eating take-out Chinese food instead of in trendy restaurants except on special occasions. Some of the conversations the Sex & the City women have about men vs. women are pretty spot on, but the overall lifestyle is pretty unrealistic.

But don't cancel your trip. It's still a fun place and the women are still great and would love a nice cute redhead who probably isn't as neurotic as the stereotypical NY man.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:11 PM   #327
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, and Carrie's apt is actually pretty typical. It's just that the supermodel wardrobe doesn't match the apt but there was an episode devoted to why that is (her shopping addiction).
Old 05-29-2005, 08:21 AM   #328
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Why are you trying to destroy traditional marriage?

Although I'm sure you are asking this a bit tongue-in-cheek, if by "traditional marriage" you mean marrying in one's 20's, having 2-3 kids, going into extreme debt trying to live the "American Dream", fighting, divorcing between 30-45, with the woman left to raise said children and the man hooking up with a younger woman (possibly starting yet a second family that he can't afford), then God, I hope it's destroyed!

50% of marriages end in divorce. If that's tradition, then let's break it.

Seems to me there are 3 types of people who stayed married: (1) Those who are actually in love; (2) Those who would divorce but are too poor to do so; (3) Those who remain married for kids or for their careers (seen a lot in politics). I hate to be cynical, but I fear there's a lot more in categories 2 and 3 than in 1. Fortunately, I know many in category 1, so at least I see hope. But "tradition"? HA!
Old 05-29-2005, 08:40 AM   #329
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Do you ever feel these "flip floppers" in someway hurt the gay community? That it somehow fuels the ones that want to condition you to be straight?

it's a bit weird ... i think that bisexuals exist, and that sexuality is a complicated thing. one day, i think we will advance to the point where we can accept people who can go back and forth, and view that as another natural variant of human sexuality, and that it's as accceptable as being straight or gay.

for right now, i think that people who are looking to justify a "it's a choice" argument can easily point to bisexuals, particularly bisexual women, and say, "look, they are clearly making a choice." to that i say, "yes and no" as well as "you don't choose who you fall in love with." i think if a bisexual was told, "you must be in a heterosexual relationship," then they are biologically equipped with the means to do so. they could choose not to date the same gender, and to choose to only date the opposite gender, and you could argue that they are capable of having a real, constitutive attraction -- emotional and physical -- that can result in a real relationship. but at the same time, a person shouldn't necessarily be forced into that. perhaps a bisexual meets a same-gendered individual and falls in love; even if it's possible for them to be "straight" -- they won't be straight, they'd be bisexual, but they could be in a heterosexual relationship -- that individual should be free to enter into whatever relationship love and circumstance dictates.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:44 AM   #330
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyRhia

Interesting..reasons?

i just don't think there's anyone who has never had a remotely homoerotic thought in their life. we can all see the sexuality in people, male or female, and i think that sex appeal doesn't necessarily have a gender. i think that when it came down to the nuts-and-bolts of having sex, you can find people who would be incapable of having sex wtih their same or opposite gender, but i think the warm, sexy feelings that flow between two people can happen between exclusively hetereosexual heterosexuals.

does that make sense? you could be turned on by the sexuality and sensuality of a person, male or female, even if the presence of "wrong" genitalia would prevent the consummation of the attraction.