Ask the Homo - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2005, 10:48 PM   #226
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by seankirkland
Well, while you guys are patting each other on the back and having a "pseudo-intellectual-verbal-hurrah-fest,"
I fail to understand how you believe comments like this reflect an example of Christs love.

The creator of this thread has asked you to not ruin his thread. Start your own thread if you want to about a topic that interests you.

Have some decency and respect for others in the forum.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:18 AM   #227
Refugee

Local Time: 09:00 AM
Apologies for not having seen this earlier.

seankirkland; this was a fairly mellow thread until the disagreements started, I can only reiterate what Dreadsox said - if you feel strongly about it, start another thread.

There are plenty of others who may share your opinion, but they have been able to keep those out of a thread that quite clearly isn't about them.

Ant.

Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 02-12-2005, 05:12 AM   #228
Blue Crack Addict

sorry Irvine

let's talk about hot guys or something
Old 03-26-2005, 03:54 PM   #229
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:00 AM
Greatest title to a thread ever.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:49 AM   #230
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:00 AM
Ditto, ZeroDude, I'm late here too..

Great thread, Irvine, thank you for your perspective and openness.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:19 AM   #231
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm happy to continue.

this thread was a joy in which to participate.

i've actually saved all the text and keep it in a file on my computer. i'd love to revisit it in 20 years.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:27 AM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Hey Irvine, I appreciated what you said about U2's faith. What got you hooked on U2? (Sorry if this has already been asked.) What's your favorite album?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:38 AM   #233
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:00 AM
Hi Irvine,

I've read back a bit to where all the commotion started and in regards to why lots of people find homosexuality such a big deal, I'd have to say I'm blank staring at this one as well, and the fact that it's sex for pleasure and not for procreation doesn't quite cut it for me, really.
If it where that, then more people would be against birth-control as well, no?

I think it's mainly because people fear what they don't know. Nothing more, nothing less.
But... when you look a bit deeper, it might also be that people find that it resonates to something deep down (being VERY careful not to generalize here!) that maybe they feel too at times, don't know how to give it a spot in the whole set of morals and norms they inherited (and this hold true for whether or not they feel it on some level), get insecure at what they don't understand and lash out in different ways. Some agressive, others passive-agressive.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:32 AM   #234
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Hey Irvine, I appreciated what you said about U2's faith. What got you hooked on U2? (Sorry if this has already been asked.) What's your favorite album?

hooked on U2? hmmm ... i don't think i was fully aware of who they were until i saw the video for "one." yes, i was taken by this Irish poet with the hypnotic blue eyes, but it was also the first time, i think, when i became aware of what music could really do. up until that point, i had been kind of a typical late-80s pop-metal kid (was only 14 in 1992 when "one" came out). i loved Guns + Roses, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, etc. then there was a Nirvana thing, and Pearl Jam came out, and i remember starting to identify a bit with the grunge thing. and then i heard "one" and it was startling -- i had no idea music could be that powerful. the song was perfect, gorgeously sung, and just when you didn't think it could get any better, it does, and at two points -- the "have you come here for forgiveness" part, and then the closing moments when bono hits those high notes. like i said, i had no idea music could *do* that, and so i became a huge fan of at least that song. i then started to work backwards -- i think i had sort of a bizarre crush on a girl, and she mentioned that she really liked WOWY, and so i went out and bought Joshua Tree just for that song so i could put it on a mix for her. i kept working backwards from there. seeing rattle and hum was a big deal, and then i got really into all of Bono's social work, and by the time i was a junior in high school, i was a fanatic. obsessed.

my favorite album by them is, hands down, Achtung Baby. it might be my favorite piece of popular art, ever. it's so perfect, so coherent, such a thought-through artistic effort -- every part of that album, from the bassline to the artwork to the lyrics to the sunglasses are perfect pieces of an intricately woven tapestry. that album literally opened my eyes and destroyed the simplicity of my life, since suddenly after listening things were much, much more complicated. of course, much of that probably was to do with being 14 and puberty and all that, but Achtung remains both a towering achievement in an objective sense; and an album that, more than any other album or movie or book, has had an undue influence on my life. i wanted to be Bono, and much of who i am today and what i am doing with my life goes back to that album.

after Achtung, my albums breakdown, roughly, as such:

2. TJT
3. Boy
4. HTDAAB
5. ATYCLB
6. War
7. Zooropa
8. RAH
9. UABRS
10. Pop
11. TUF
12. October
Old 04-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #235
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Thanks for sharing that Irvine. It's scary how close it is to my experience with Achtung Baby. I agree with you completely on every point you made about it. Honestly. I think I was the same age when it hit me too. About 14. I found a lot of my identity in it and in the band at the time, and I still go back to it.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #236
Blue Crack Addict

what do you like/dislike about living in DC?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:57 PM   #237
The Fly

Do you believe that people who describe themselves as bisexual are truly bisexual? Would you ever date a man who described himself as such?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #238
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
what do you like/dislike about living in DC?

like: beautiful architecture, safe place to be gay, possible to live w/out a car, interesting people to debate with in bars, interesting culinary options, not oppressively expensive like NYC or SF, can get to NYC and Boston easily, lots of people from all over the world, gorgeous spring and fall, lots of history, free museums, lots of smart people running around, still get 4 seasons

dislike: the horrid humidity in the summer, still expensive, not NYC or SF, no real sense of identity like other cities, a bit of a company town (the company being the US government), people are ambitious and can be a bit crazy about achievement (like me), winter can be super dreary, crime, the Metro isn't as efficient as it could be, the monuments get old quick
Old 04-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #239
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinybubbles
Do you believe that people who describe themselves as bisexual are truly bisexual? Would you ever date a man who described himself as such?

yes, there are truly bisexual people, though i think many men, in particular, cling to the bisexual label when they are probably gay because it gives them the option of not having to "come out" and able to cling to some sense of "normality" in the face of the fact that they are probably gay. i think most gay men go through a phase of trying to be straight, then saying they are bisexual, before finally admitting it and becoming gay. i was bisexual once. and i remember my first boyfriend saying, "yeah, i was once bisexual too." it does seem like a bit of a stepping stone on the path to coming out and being what you are, which is usually gay.

however, sexual orientation is very intricate, and if someone says they are bisexual, i would never challenge them (unless i knew them really well).

that said, i think bisexuality for women is far more common. i do think it's true that women are more turned on by an emotional connection, whereas men are more turned on by what they see. this simply makes sexual preference more black-and-white for (most) men.

i think it would be tough to seriously date a bisexual. but i'd have to think about it, and i'd like to say that if i were in love with a person, then it shouldn't be an issue. but, yes, i would be far more cautious about dating a bisexual, or at least ask more questions. you want to be open minded, and the last thing a gay person should do is to cut someone off for their sexual orientation.

however, we are all human, and i would probably be a more paranoid and jealous boyfriend if i were dating a bisexual.

it hasn't happened, but that's what i would imagine.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:39 AM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Thanks for sharing that Irvine. It's scary how close it is to my experience with Achtung Baby. I agree with you completely on every point you made about it. Honestly. I think I was the same age when it hit me too. About 14. I found a lot of my identity in it and in the band at the time, and I still go back to it.
Far out. I was 14 as well, and what Irvine wrote about Achtung Baby and 'One' (it was One that got me as well) is pretty much a perfect summary for the way I feel about it (favourite piece of popular art etc). Generation Achtung!!

Honestly, I still listen to One like it's the first time. Never fails to hit me the same way.