Ask the Homo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey irvine....

I noticed that you ignored my question... I was asking you about "homo" art (is a new gender of art if you didn't know it).

I have the feeling, not only this time but when I was reading another threads, that you ignore me or maybe you don't like me (without knowing me

Muggsy said:
hey irvine....

I noticed that you ignored my question... I was asking you about "homo" art (is a new gender of art if you didn't know it).

I have the feeling, not only this time but when I was reading another threads, that you ignore me or maybe you don't like me (without knowing me

i'm sorry if i ever gave you that impression -- it can be hard to keep up with this thread, since i often do things other than frequent FYM all day (although, judging by today, you'd probably be correct in thinking that post here was all i did). i generally like your posts, and i've never intentionally not responded.

i'm not familiar specifically with the term "homo" art. could you please explain?

u2bonogirl said:
This is a little off topic but are you located right in D.C.?
Starsforu2 and I live close to there :yes:
Do you go to the smithsonian often?

i do live right in DC.

i went to the museums a lot when i first move to town, these days i only seem to go when i have guests.

Irvine511 said:

i'm not familiar specifically with the term "homo" art. could you please explain?

:)

well....I read the TASCHEN catalogue ( taschen is one of the biggest publishing houses, specialized in arts and fotography), and I saw a book named "homo Art" which compilates work from people like Mappletorpe and another artists who have different concepts about homosexuality, defying the usual stereotypes and exploring all the "gay" experience from different points of view. Mappletorpe was gay, for example, but some of the artists in this book are straight too.

there was an artist who called my atention... tommy... I don't remember his name (i will look for it in the mag later), he says that he knew he was gay since he was a kid and he likes tall guys, with muscles. He writes and draws comics and his characters are the kind of guys that he likes, but they are really stereotyped (big, squared chin guys, with leather clothes and sex toys), and he draws them in explicit scenes. I found that really interesting cuz he's playing with the idea many people have around gay men and their sexual behavior.

I could see a little bit of this book in a sale and I really think that it opens your mind. I think that being "gay" or "straight" is just a part of each one's identity but I admit that it is a really big part of our lives and that's one of the things this book shows.

but, at the same time I think that... althought this book is a serious job and it has a very neutral tone, taking out the beauty and the erotism in the images, is really an exception cuz I'm still suspicious about the art who talks about "minorities", cuz it can fall into the same stereotypes from the "normal" people.

Last edited:
What books, films, albums, etc. would you consider part of (for lack of a better term) a "gay canon"? Besides Angels in America (God, I adore that play...)

Muggsy said:

well....I read the TASCHEN catalogue ( taschen is one of the biggest publishing houses, specialized in arts and fotography), and I saw a book named "homo Art" which compilates work from people like Mappletorpe and another artists who have different concepts about homosexuality, defying the usual stereotypes and exploring all the "gay" experience from different points of view. Mappletorpe was gay, for example, but some of the artists in this book are straight too.

there was an artist who called my atention... tommy... I don't remember his name (i will look for it in the mag later), he says that he knew he was gay since he was a kid and he likes tall guys, with muscles. He writes and draws comics and his characters are the kind of guys that he likes, but they are really stereotyped (big, squared chin guys, with leather clothes and sex toys), and he draws them in explicit scenes. I found that really interesting cuz he's playing with the idea many people have around gay men and their sexual behavior.

I could see a little bit of this book in a sale and I really think that it opens your mind. I think that being "gay" or "straight" is just a part of each one's identity but I admit that it is a really big part of our lives and that's one of the things this book shows.

but, at the same time I think that... althought this book is a serious job and it has a very neutral tone, taking out the beauty and the erotism in the images, is really an exception cuz I'm still suspicious about the art who talks about "minorities", cuz it can fall into the same stereotypes from the "normal" people.

all very interesting ... i will check it out at my local independent bookstore (cause we homos like to suppose the little guy over Borders and Barnes and Noble) ;)

myusernamehere said:
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I've only read part of this thread...it's quite long:

If you were stranded on a desert island; which three albums would you want to have with you?

Achtung Baby
Automatic for the People
Born in the USA (first cassette i ever owned, got it when i was no more than 6)

pax said:
What books, films, albums, etc. would you consider part of (for lack of a better term) a "gay canon"? Besides Angels in America (God, I adore that play...)

wow. fantastic question, and i don't even feel remotely qualified to answer.

however, i will.

just not today -- am exhausted and have a big old film festival party to attend tonight. got some schmoozing to do, so i better go get rested up.

interesting thread.....special smiley for ya!

Gay_flagflagGF.gif

pax said:
How do you feel about the news that Jude Law is an admitted cheater? :mad:

And are you ever going to answer my last question? :wink:

Jude is too pretty for me to stay mad at him for too long.

i would love to answer your question, but work has been INSANE lately ... i'm also not sure if i'm qualified, to be honest.

but i haven't forgotten about it. i want to answer it, but it might take some time.

LATwins said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is that a picture of you?

If so, you're beautiful! Lucky boys... :up:

don't i wish ... the photo is of Jude Law (though i might punish him for cheating on his wife by removing him).

but you're free to think i look like him!

Irvine511 said:

(though i might punish him for cheating on his wife by removing him).

I was wondering about that..

actually it was Sienna his fiancee he cheated on, not his wife..not that it matters

Btw, the nanny says he really knows how to satisfy a woman
:wink:

"Wright has exposed the details of the actor's supposed disloyalty to British newspaper the Sunday Mirror, which has printed her detailed account of their illicit tryst. Wright says, "It was mind-blowing rampant sex. He is a great lover and he knows how to satisfy a woman."

umm... so what's the Judy Garland thing all about??... and the Cher thing...

Half-joking there... but... seriously though.

Peace.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I was wondering about that..

actually it was Sienna his fiancee he cheated on, not his wife..not that it matters

"Wright has exposed the details of the actor's supposed disloyalty to British newspaper the Sunday Mirror, which has printed her detailed account of their illicit tryst. Wright says, "It was mind-blowing rampant sex. He is a great lover and he knows how to satisfy a woman."

I think he cheated on his wife, though, also, when he was married before--I think her name is Sadie, his ex? They have a couple of kids together.

Landslide said:
umm... so what's the Judy Garland thing all about??... and the Cher thing...

Half-joking there... but... seriously though.

Peace.

don't totally get it ... i do think that gay men and straight girls have many things in common, not least of which is often having the shared experience of being treated like dirt by other men. i also think that gay men are able to relate to female singers in a way that straight men can't. and with someone like Cher, there's a huge, campy appeal. i haven't done enough reading on camp to be able to explicate it here, but the ironization of one's environment (a central part of camp) is something gay men tend to do really well. and they also have lots to do with Drag Queens -- again, performance studies stuff that i find fascinating, but don't know enough about to really write about.

personally, i'm not much into that stuff. i do tend to like female singer/songwriters, but more along the lines of Lucinda Williams, Patti Smith, Martha Wainwright, Kate Bush, etc.

i do enjoy a good drag show, though. i'd never (ever) do one myself as i have no interest in women's clothes (either putting them on or taking them off), but Drag Queens can be very, very funny, and one of the more creative and unexpectedly transcendent aspects of gay culture when a Drag Queen, done up to the nines in make up, can suddenly imbue a shlock-fest song like, say, "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Mis, with an unexpected poignancy.

just imagine a gay man, in drag, alone on a stage in a crowded, sweaty club illuminated by a single spotlight and a glittering disco ball finding meaning in the lyrics "he slept a summer by my side/ he filled my days with endless wonder/ he took my childhood in his stride/ but he was gone when autumn came/ and still i dream he'll come to me/ and we will live the years together/ but there are dreams that cannot be/ and there are storms we cannot weather."

it can move you to tears.

and i also think that this is the effect U2 were aiming at with PopMart (among other things). meaning in unexpected areas, when the profane becomes the sacred, when the ridiculous suddenly becomes sublime.

Drag Queens...

Hmmm... you'll never find U2 dressing up in drag and, oh I don't know, making a video or having shots of it in their CD liner notes...

:der:

MrsSpringsteen said:

A.I_Wallpaper_4_1024.jpg

Irvine511 said:

don't i wish ... the photo is of Jude Law (though i might punish him for cheating on his wife by removing him).

but you're free to think i look like him!

You could just update it to this

_1542794_law150.jpg

He seems to have morphed into this character

Irvine511 said:

no. marriage will be stronger, society will be stronger, STDs will go down, HIV infections will go down, suicide amongst gay teens (and gays in general) will go down, and more needy children will be adopted.

I saw a documetary on PBS about gays adopting children...I was amazed at how may gay coulpes wanted to adopt and where very good parents.... I was ashamed that I did not think that was possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom