Ask the hiphop - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2005, 04:25 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
dont you think your name is a tad bit too long?? it warps people's minds
Ask Bono if his lyrics are too long

Nope, I am proud of it, because this nick is from the old Interference forum, and thx to Sicy and Elvis I am allowed to keep it.

Indeed, this is what I would probably say to Bono if I met him. Figure that, meeting him in a bar, I would pass by cooly and say "When hiphop drove the big cars, huh?"

Old 03-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #17
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 07:20 PM
Do you like latin rap music?

Old 03-13-2005, 09:29 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy
Do you like latin rap music?
Yes, I love it! Seriously! The last album I actually purchased in this genre is a CD called "Viva Santo Domingo" by the "Politicos". I found it at the street market in Nicaragua where you got speakers with latin rap blasting out the music every ten yards. Its a weird funny album.

I also like Jennifer Lopez when she sings in Spanish
Old 03-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:20 PM
What do you think of Eminem?
Old 03-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:20 AM
What is your definition of hip-hop?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
What do you think of Eminem?
I think Em is a stupid sucker whose voice sounds like a lame duck.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:50 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by LostAtMoon
What is your definition of hip-hop?
I don ´t define music, but generally you could define it historically, starting with the Jamaican community in NYC, sound systems, old Skool, rap started with some James Brown songs. You could also have a cultural definition regarding lifestyle, including breakdance, graffiti or else. Or define the music with its rather slow beats, MCs, use of drum machines, samples etc. or with the Vibe, sometimes leaning towards Gangsta, then again towards Free Party Vibe.

But I don´t really like definitions. Hiphop is hiphop and changes constantly.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:44 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:20 PM
Long time no see.

Any advice for a motivated amateur musician who is looking for someone in the field of production to help bring focus to a disparate set of instrumentals? I guess an off-shoot of that question is whether entrepreneurship and independence is the better avenue in comparison to the forms of collaboration...

Merci.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:02 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
Long time no see.

Any advice for a motivated amateur musician who is looking for someone in the field of production to help bring focus to a disparate set of instrumentals? I guess an off-shoot of that question is whether entrepreneurship and independence is the better avenue in comparison to the forms of collaboration...

Merci.

I do produce; you can send me your songs if you have a demo. You can email me at my blog http://www.myblog.de/kwikstep

I guess it always depends on what you got, what you need, and what you want to do with your music. Independence is great, but if you want to get your songs to a certain level, you may have to delegate and collaborate. Are your songs ready for production? What do you pursue, i.e. in which scene do you want to move, rock Top40 radio, or you want to have more DJgigs, or do you want to play in a local funk band at weekends?

Generally, you will not get a deal out of nothing. A&Rs can get interested in new artists when they sell 10,000s of mp3 files, have a band/ live act ready to tour, have a local fan base, etc. However 1. the industry is in a pretty bad state at the moment 2. most (around 95%) signed bands don´t make a dime 3. home recording is affordable 4. setting up a small label to get a better royalty rate if you ever get a record deal, plus to work with other artists, plus to control your publishing etc. isn´t very difficult 5. major labels have no artist development, its quick bucks 6. independents are faster in spotting trends, and for "underground" styles they maybe the best choice, because they also got specialized distribution channels

so a number of other reasons makes many musicians consider working on their own independent career without caring for MTV, big radio promotion or a major contract

which means either doing it all yourself or looking for the funds for recording, possibly a manager, agent, publisher etc. a professional production budget for an album of an act with a major contract starts at about 100.000 $ - but most bands just cut a demo themselves or with the help of a producer and sell their CDs at gigs.

If you want to know the basics, I would strongly suggest reading Naggar, David: "The Music Business (Explained in Plain English)" (you can get it at Amazon)

Really depends on where you ´re at and what you ´re aiming at.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:44 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:20 PM
Thanks for your quick reply, hiphop.

You gave me a lot to think about when I ponder how much I really don't know about the music industry. Right now I just have sounds and ideas... no real direction or aim. It would be nice to have something tangible that reflects my progress as a neophite writer/musician at this point in my "career". Whether that results in something with a market value lining an A&R guy's pocket -or just a side project hobby- I'm not too sure yet. Reading that book sounds like a good start.

But, I won't take up any more page length in your interrogation. Although I might follow up with an email to request more sagely advice.

Thanks again.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:34 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:20 PM
If someone asked you, rather confrontationally, "what is feminism?", what would you answer in short?

foray
Old 03-15-2005, 01:36 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Do you realize that your blog is in another language???!

yarof
Old 03-15-2005, 07:26 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:20 PM
So you're a DJ

Ever used Acoustica?

Free Download - www.acoustica.com

I'm mixing a crazy U2 live compilation with it, it's also quite compatible with hip hop music, or any genre for that matter. I'll brag even more about it once I finish my compilation.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:24 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by foray
If someone asked you, rather confrontationally, "what is feminism?", what would you answer in short?

foray
Depends in which mood I am. If I´m in a good mood, I wouldn´t reply anything specific but forward him/ her to some of my friends who are active feminists.

If my mood is so-so, I would tell him to buy some books by Alice Schwarzer. And tell him there is no short answer to that question, because feminism and gender studies include so many fields.

If I´m in a bad mood, I´d reply "Feminism is Madonna on Like A Virgin"
Old 03-15-2005, 08:27 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by foray
Do you realize that your blog is in another language???!

yarof
Yes, my mother´s tongue is German, but some messages and parts of the blog are in English. If you scroll down, you got the link "Kontakt" on the left - click this and you can mail me.