Ask The Highlander

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I'm from Scotland....I spent my first 25 years in the Highlands and the last 8 in Edinburgh (capital of Scotland and, well, not the Highlands)

What particular part of the Highlands did you grow up in? I've been to Argyll and Mull and Iona *and * Edinburgh and Glasgow; I've been to Scotland twice and I love it.

verte76 said:
What particular part of the Highlands did you grow up in? I've been to Argyll and Mull and Iona *and * Edinburgh and Glasgow; I've been to Scotland twice and I love it.

I was born in Inverness, the "capital of the Highlands", but grew up in a small town called Invergordon, some 25 miles north, in the area known as either 'Ross and Cromarty' or 'Ross-shire'.

rossmap.gif

Invergordon sits three miles to the east of the town called Alness.

Last edited:
Are you really 'The One'?

Why do the 2nd and 3rd films make no sense whatsoever?

Why oh why do ITV put repeats of your godawful show TV series at 3 or 4 am? Yes I know it's because nobody wanted to watch it, but.... It's bad enough being an insomniac when you're too tired to read, and all that's left is the bastard Highlander on TV.

Why weren't all the scriptwriters fired?

Who wants to live forever?

Are you renting out any rooms in your huge Scottish castle? I bet your heating costs a fortune doesn't it?

Last edited:
Rono said:
What is your favorite Single malt whisky ?

wahey Rono.....a non Scot who spells whisky correctly!! :up:

For those who don't know, a single malt whisky is one which is a malt whisky produced by a single distillery and has not been mixed with whisky from any other distillery.

My old town's whisky distillery is a grain distillery - one of about eight still in Scotland and the only one in the Highlands. The nearest malt distillery is Dalmore, three miles from Invergordon.

Not being a whisky drinker, I don't have really have a favourite as such. I'd probably choose Glenmorangie. When it comes to that kind of drink I go for Jack Daniels or maybe a Drambuie. I'm not a big whisky, or whiskey, drinker.

Last edited:
What's the life like there?

What place would you recommend visiting if I were to ever visit Scotland?

What's the weather like?

What do you think of your president(?) Actually what is he/she called?

I know pretty dull questions but I really don't know much about scotland. :)

In Edinburgh, I live in the same street as Sean Connery did when he was a child growing up.

U2Girl1978 said:

erm....scotland doesn't have a president

It's part of Great Britain, and as such has a monarch in the form of Queen Elizabeth, and a prime minister - Tony Blair

there is also a Scottish parliament, run from Edinburgh, which is essentially a parliament seperate from the UK parliament, designed to give Scotland more control over what happens in their country.

bammo2 said:

erm....scotland doesn't have a president

It's part of Great Britain, and as such has a monarch in the form of Queen Elizabeth, and a prime minister - Tony Blair

there is also a Scottish parliament, run from Edinburgh, which is essentially a parliament seperate from the UK parliament, designed to give Scotland more control over what happens in their country.

Ohhh! Thanks for clearing that up. :)

U2Girl1978 said:
What's the life like there?

What place would you recommend visiting if I were to ever visit Scotland?

For such a small country there's so much to do and see. I can't suggest one single thing, it's all dependent on what you personally like. A good website is http://www.visitscotland.com/

Originally posted by U2Girl1978
What's the weather like?

i've lifted this from a website that describes our weather perfectly:

"The Weather is a subject of constant discussion in Scotland and the UK generally. The fascination that the British have with their weather, and the reason it enters into almost every conversation, is its variability."

"At most times of the year it is perfectly possible to have glorious sunshine, chilling cold, together with wind, rain and even snow - all in the one day! This means people's lives can be driven by the weather alone; its often impossible to plan an outside event because of the risk of changeable weather."

This week I've been playing football in the park. The weather's been glorious. However, yesterday and today it's been raining all day.

Originally posted by U2Girl1978

We are not a republic, we do not have a president. Our head of state is the Queen. Our Prime Minister is Tony Blair.

Scotland is one of the countries of the United Kingdom (Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland). To simplfy things, for non-UK folk who can't get their heads around the four countries thing, you'd best think of the UK as four states rather than 4 countries. People from the US are often confused about the UK and mistakingly refer to the UK as 'England' when in fact England is only one of the four. This greatly upsets/annoys people from the other three countries/states when the UK is refered to as 'England'.

In 1999 Scotland was given a devolved government, The Scottish Executive, meaning Scotland can run many of it's own affairs independantly from the overall UK government based in London. We have a 'first minister' who is called Jack McConnell. After the first Scottish elections, the current goverment is a coalition between the Scottish Labour Party and the Scottish Liberal Democrat Party. Scottish people vote in the UK elections and also for our Scottish parliament.

I do not have strong political beliefs....although I voted for Liberal Democrats in the last elections (Scottish and UK).

Rono said:
Celtic or Glasgow Rangers ?

For those who don't know about the rivalry of the "old-firm" - Scotland's two premier football (soccer) clubs:

Well first of all, you've got your typical crosstown rivalry between two top clubs. Think Yankees-Dodgers or AC-Inter Milan on any given day. Now, dose liberally with a couple of centuries of the "Irish Question." Finally, for the cherry on top place the economics of Scottish football which guarantee that EVERY year there are only two teams really in contention for the league trophy -- Celtic and Rangers. Viola, flambe du football!

Secondly, The Catholic vs. Protestant Thing. Dissertations can and have been written on sectarianism in Scottish football. Glasgow Rangers are a predominantly Protestant club with predominantly Protestant Supporters. Glasgow Celtic are a predominantly Catholic club with predominantly Catholic Supporters.

http://www.rangersfansvcelticfans.com/oldfirm.html

I was baptised in the Church of Scotland, therefore protestant, so in theory I 'should' be a Rangers supporter. However I'm not interested in mixing football with religion. When I was a child my best friends supported Celtic and only because of that did Celtic become my team.

Rono said:
:lol: Nice,....

ehm,..haggis or fish and chips

whoooah!!!

big, tough question!!!

uggg, i love both.

:hmm:

I'll be truthful and if I had to choose at gun point then......

I'd choose Fish and Chips :reject:

Rono said:
what is the best time to do whale watching around Oban ?

June / July apparently. There are boat trips you can go on or charter.

Where I'm from, see the map I posted on page 1, you can often see dolphins and porposies - in the firths of Cromarty and Moray. When I was a child / young teen I was in Sea Cadets - we'd take boats out into the Cromarty Firth (the stretch of water above the 'Black Isle', stretching from Dingwall to Nigg) and we'd have the porpoises follow along side. Unfortunately some porpoises are often found dead on the beach - they get beaten up by the larger dolphins! seriously, it's quite sad.

When you say "kilt pattern", you're meaning "tartan".

The use of different patterns and colours of tartan to identify different families, or 'clans', is a very contentious issue amongst historians. In the absence of any real evidence to the contrary, it seems that this practice dates back only as far as the early 19th century. Prior to this, clansmen of all standing seemed to have worn a mixture of tartans without any sense of a standardised 'clan' design.

There's no hard and fast rules or regulations about which tartan to adopt although people do prefer to choose a tartan associated to their family name.

If there's no tartan for your family name, simply look up your ancestory until you can find a surname that has a tartan. Failing that there are tartans that anyone can wear. If you want to be unique - any individual, family or institution can commission and register their own tartan.

It's easy for me, my surname is Young and there is a 'Young' tartan:

hedga_mws2420.jpg

I got a kilt made a few years ago for my graduation.

watch the movie "Braveheart".....

It's really what William Wallace meant when he kept shouting "FREEDOM"

ewen said:

For such a small country there's so much to do and see. I can't suggest one single thing, it's all dependent on what you personally like. A good website is http://www.visitscotland.com/

i've lifted this from a website that describes our weather perfectly:

"The Weather is a subject of constant discussion in Scotland and the UK generally. The fascination that the British have with their weather, and the reason it enters into almost every conversation, is its variability."

"At most times of the year it is perfectly possible to have glorious sunshine, chilling cold, together with wind, rain and even snow - all in the one day! This means people's lives can be driven by the weather alone; its often impossible to plan an outside event because of the risk of changeable weather."

This week I've been playing football in the park. The weather's been glorious. However, yesterday and today it's been raining all day.

We are not a republic, we do not have a president. Our head of state is the Queen. Our Prime Minister is Tony Blair.

Scotland is one of the countries of the United Kingdom (Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland). To simplfy things, for non-UK folk who can't get their heads around the four countries thing, you'd best think of the UK as four states rather than 4 countries. People from the US are often confused about the UK and mistakingly refer to the UK as 'England' when in fact England is only one of the four. This greatly upsets/annoys people from the other three countries/states when the UK is refered to as 'England'.

In 1999 Scotland was given a devolved government, The Scottish Executive, meaning Scotland can run many of it's own affairs independantly from the overall UK government based in London. We have a 'first minister' who is called Jack McConnell. After the first Scottish elections, the current goverment is a coalition between the Scottish Labour Party and the Scottish Liberal Democrat Party. Scottish people vote in the UK elections and also for our Scottish parliament.

I do not have strong political beliefs....although I voted for Liberal Democrats in the last elections (Scottish and UK).

This is good to know. :) I really didn't know about the UK that much.

I've been wanting to travel all over Europe for some time now but I just need the time and money to do it. Scotland sounds like a fascinating country to live in.

Another question: If you were ever to move out of Scotland what other country would you move to?

U2Girl1978 said:

This is good to know. :) I really didn't know about the UK that much.

I've been wanting to travel all over Europe for some time now but I just need the time and money to do it. Scotland sounds like a fascinating country to live in.

Another question: If you were ever to move out of Scotland what other country would you move to?

I've never been out of Europe - I've been to many countries across Europe and wouldn't move out of Scotland to live permanently in any of them. I'm travelling to the USA next month, my first time out of Europe.

So, where would I live if not Scotland? The USA, so that I could be with Pax ( :kiss: Pax :kiss: ).

Saying that though, the one thing that would stop me moving to the USA permanently is......guns.

It would take a LOT to get me to move out of Scotland permanently....I love the place too much.

Back
Top Bottom