Ask The Highlander

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is a myth and like most myths, if told over and over again it almost becomes fact. There are NO rules or regulations on who can wear a tartan.

Below is the Official View from a member of the Lyon Court of Scotland, the body which regulates clan crests and coats of arms.

Alastair Campbell of Airds, Unicorn Pursuivant of Arms
"Often over the years one has heard people explaining how they have 'the right' or that they are "entitled" to wear this or that tartan. In fact no such right, in any legal sense, exists for them or for anyone else. The only considerations which govern the wearing of a particular sett are usage and good taste.

lol, you can use whatever tartan you want....is what i'm saying.

I've chosen 'Modern Young' - the tartan registered by Clan Young because my surname is Young. Nobody will chop my head off because I don't pay Clan Young $15 per year to join in on their gatherings or whatever they do.

No, it's an honest question. I'm not looking for a heated argument. It just appears to me that Ewen hates me for some reasons that I don't know.

I'd like to know what those reasons are, so that if it's something I can fix, I can actually go ahead and remedy the problem.

I'm not trying to drag the thread off topic or piss him off or anything. I simply want to know why he holds this major grudge against me.

my apologies if this has been posted before, because of this server crap i can't read certain pages of this thread.

i listen to a lot of punk rock containing an element of irish and scottish traditional folk music - either re-worked "punkified" traditional songs, or just punk rock songs with various instruments (ie. bagpipes) associated with the countries.

i post on another board, which is dedicated to helping out smaller not-too-well-known bands hook up with people to play shows and generally get the word out about their bands, and there are quite a few bands that incorporate that kind of sound into their style of punk rock, ranging from pogues sound-a-likes to straight-up street punk with bagpipes.

so, about a week or two ago, some kid from scotland posted a ranting thread about how americans are so stupid that they don't realize that people actually from scotland and ireland are offended by what these bands are doing. they hate the real mckenzies for wearing traditional dress incorrectly, or they hate them for being canadian yet trying to sing in a hilariously fake scottish accent. this kid's post raelly pissed off a lot of the scottish-american and irish-american posters on the board who felt they were being attacked for just having pride in their heritage.

what i was wondering is, do you have any idea what i'm talking about? as someone actually from scotland, do these bands piss you off?

the server is being retarded. for instance, i didn't see the posts about the tartan choices until now.

:banghead:

I think different Scots have different views, as do people from any country.

There are many Scots here in this Perth (we joke they wanted to move house without changing their address) and a heck of a lot of them are really particular about only the entitled wearing tartan.

only a silly, irrelevant note, theres a Scottish shop here called:

Scots R Wee

:D

beli said:
I think different Scots have different views, as do people from any country.

yeah, as do groups of people from any kind of group they might identify with.

haha, beli, i think you just disproved all the "ask the.." threads. :up:

Back
Top Bottom