Ask The Highlander - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:42 PM
Celtic or Glasgow Rangers ?

Old 03-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
Celtic or Glasgow Rangers ?
For those who don't know about the rivalry of the "old-firm" - Scotland's two premier football (soccer) clubs:

Well first of all, you've got your typical crosstown rivalry between two top clubs. Think Yankees-Dodgers or AC-Inter Milan on any given day. Now, dose liberally with a couple of centuries of the "Irish Question." Finally, for the cherry on top place the economics of Scottish football which guarantee that EVERY year there are only two teams really in contention for the league trophy -- Celtic and Rangers. Viola, flambe du football!

Secondly, The Catholic vs. Protestant Thing. Dissertations can and have been written on sectarianism in Scottish football. Glasgow Rangers are a predominantly Protestant club with predominantly Protestant Supporters. Glasgow Celtic are a predominantly Catholic club with predominantly Catholic Supporters.

http://www.rangersfansvcelticfans.com/oldfirm.html

I was baptised in the Church of Scotland, therefore protestant, so in theory I 'should' be a Rangers supporter. However I'm not interested in mixing football with religion. When I was a child my best friends supported Celtic and only because of that did Celtic become my team.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Nice,....

ehm,..haggis or fish and chips
Old 03-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

what is the best time to do whale watching around Oban ?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:00 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Nice,....

ehm,..haggis or fish and chips

whoooah!!!

big, tough question!!!

uggg, i love both.

I'll be truthful and if I had to choose at gun point then......

I'd choose Fish and Chips
Old 03-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
what is the best time to do whale watching around Oban ?

June / July apparently. There are boat trips you can go on or charter.

Where I'm from, see the map I posted on page 1, you can often see dolphins and porposies - in the firths of Cromarty and Moray. When I was a child / young teen I was in Sea Cadets - we'd take boats out into the Cromarty Firth (the stretch of water above the 'Black Isle', stretching from Dingwall to Nigg) and we'd have the porpoises follow along side. Unfortunately some porpoises are often found dead on the beach - they get beaten up by the larger dolphins! seriously, it's quite sad.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #22
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78
Are you really 'The One'?

Who wants to live forever?
haha... i was gonna ask the same stuff... and the "ramirez" question too ...

now.... seriously:
Is that true that each family has its own "kilt" (am i spelling this right??) pattern?... does it has an special meaning?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

When you say "kilt pattern", you're meaning "tartan".

The use of different patterns and colours of tartan to identify different families, or 'clans', is a very contentious issue amongst historians. In the absence of any real evidence to the contrary, it seems that this practice dates back only as far as the early 19th century. Prior to this, clansmen of all standing seemed to have worn a mixture of tartans without any sense of a standardised 'clan' design.

There's no hard and fast rules or regulations about which tartan to adopt although people do prefer to choose a tartan associated to their family name.

If there's no tartan for your family name, simply look up your ancestory until you can find a surname that has a tartan. Failing that there are tartans that anyone can wear. If you want to be unique - any individual, family or institution can commission and register their own tartan.

It's easy for me, my surname is Young and there is a 'Young' tartan:

I got a kilt made a few years ago for my graduation.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 02:42 PM
Do you wear anythig under your kilt?

Old 03-27-2005, 01:57 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

nope

Old 03-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Must be chilly then.......

Old 03-27-2005, 02:09 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

watch the movie "Braveheart".....

It's really what William Wallace meant when he kept shouting "FREEDOM"
Old 03-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Indeed.

Old 03-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ewen

For such a small country there's so much to do and see. I can't suggest one single thing, it's all dependent on what you personally like. A good website is http://www.visitscotland.com/

i've lifted this from a website that describes our weather perfectly:

"The Weather is a subject of constant discussion in Scotland and the UK generally. The fascination that the British have with their weather, and the reason it enters into almost every conversation, is its variability."

"At most times of the year it is perfectly possible to have glorious sunshine, chilling cold, together with wind, rain and even snow - all in the one day! This means people's lives can be driven by the weather alone; its often impossible to plan an outside event because of the risk of changeable weather."

This week I've been playing football in the park. The weather's been glorious. However, yesterday and today it's been raining all day.

We are not a republic, we do not have a president. Our head of state is the Queen. Our Prime Minister is Tony Blair.

Scotland is one of the countries of the United Kingdom (Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland). To simplfy things, for non-UK folk who can't get their heads around the four countries thing, you'd best think of the UK as four states rather than 4 countries. People from the US are often confused about the UK and mistakingly refer to the UK as 'England' when in fact England is only one of the four. This greatly upsets/annoys people from the other three countries/states when the UK is refered to as 'England'.

In 1999 Scotland was given a devolved government, The Scottish Executive, meaning Scotland can run many of it's own affairs independantly from the overall UK government based in London. We have a 'first minister' who is called Jack McConnell. After the first Scottish elections, the current goverment is a coalition between the Scottish Labour Party and the Scottish Liberal Democrat Party. Scottish people vote in the UK elections and also for our Scottish parliament.

I do not have strong political beliefs....although I voted for Liberal Democrats in the last elections (Scottish and UK).
This is good to know. I really didn't know about the UK that much.

I've been wanting to travel all over Europe for some time now but I just need the time and money to do it. Scotland sounds like a fascinating country to live in.

Another question: If you were ever to move out of Scotland what other country would you move to?
Old 03-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978

This is good to know. I really didn't know about the UK that much.

I've been wanting to travel all over Europe for some time now but I just need the time and money to do it. Scotland sounds like a fascinating country to live in.

Another question: If you were ever to move out of Scotland what other country would you move to?
I've never been out of Europe - I've been to many countries across Europe and wouldn't move out of Scotland to live permanently in any of them. I'm travelling to the USA next month, my first time out of Europe.

So, where would I live if not Scotland? The USA, so that I could be with Pax ( Pax ).

Saying that though, the one thing that would stop me moving to the USA permanently is......guns.

It would take a LOT to get me to move out of Scotland permanently....I love the place too much.