Ask the hearing-impaired - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Just to tell you all, you can ask me other stuff besides the hearing impairment. Just a thought.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:21 AM   #17
War Child

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yolland
[B]I'm hearing disabled as well, have been since my early 20s. Like you I'm not deaf, or even close to it really...just limited in certain ways that I've had to learn to work with. [B]

To tell you truth, you're the 1st hearing impaired person, besides my great aunt who passed away when I was 13, that I've met, in real life or on the net. It gets pretty loney being the only one in your whole pre high and high school schooling.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:30 AM   #18
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Do you ever find that your mobility is restricted by your hearing impairment, such as when you need to catch a train or plane? I ask because my vision impairment often leaves me confused and unable to read train station signs, airport gate numbers, and the like, so I just have to hope that there are clear verbal announcements such as "next stop, Central". When that kind of thing is absent or muffled, I find myself a bit stuck. Do you experience the reverse and find yourself disadvantaged by a lack of decent signage?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 12:43 AM
So you're not actually "deaf"?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #20
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Green Eyes
To tell you truth, you're the 1st hearing impaired person, besides my great aunt who passed away when I was 13, that I've met, in real life or on the net. It gets pretty loney being the only one in your whole pre high and high school schooling.
It is true, isn't it? I've had one student in all my years of teaching who was hearing impaired, and I know a couple elderly retirees who are too, but I'm not aware of anyone else in my usual social environment who is. I think the archetypal hearing-disabled person as most folks imagine them--and I used to think this way myself--is either A) a completely deaf person who you just hope can lipread, because you sure don't know ASL or B) an extremely hard-of-hearing elderly person who you have to shout at in order to be heard at all. The thought that there's an in-between to these just doesn't cross most people's awareness, I think.

Most of my friends, family and students are very understanding and know exactly what to do to make sure I'm hearing the maximum amount possible of what they're saying, so I can't really complain much. But there are some kinds of social situations--like, say, sitting with a bunch of people at a table in a restaurant that's anything less than quiet--where I just have to resign myself from the beginning to the fact that I'm going to miss out on 70% of what's said, have no idea what everyone's laughing about most of the time, and so on. Or carrying on a conversation in a car--unless maybe it's a really quiet car and I'm in the backseat and it's someone else in the backseat talking. I'm sure you've probably had similar experiences with school cafeterias, noisy classrooms and the like. For now I can still just manage to get by on the telephone, but I know there will come a time when I can't...which is where I'm grateful to live in an era of text messaging, emails and the like. At least for me, these are the kind of situations that can feel very isolating and it's often tempting to simply avoid them altogether, but you can't really; they're just so basic to normal socialization.

-----------------------------------------

I know the question wasn't aimed at me, but...Axver, I've experienced a little of what you're describing, especially when traveling by train abroad (train stations tend to be much less well-signed than airports). The absolute worst setup for me is the sort of thing you often see in Europe, where you have to buy tickets or seek info from someone sitting in dim light behind thick plexiglass in an extremely noisy room, speaking heavily accented English or some language that you haven't used since college. Usually those people wind up getting exasperated and shouting at me in exaggeratedly slow and hyperenunciated English, assuming I'm a dumb American who can't recognize anything not in my own accent. But shouting doesn't help me much because my main problem isn't volume--that's compromised too, but the real issue is my auditory nerves can't transmit speech correctly nor parse it out from background noise appropriately, so everything sounds muffled and distorted, as if people were speaking with their hands over their mouths. Plus even when there isn't plexiglass, a lot of people tend to be looking down, or at their monitor or whatever, rather than at me when they talk, and then on top of that they'll mumble--sometimes even when they start shouting, they still keep looking away (I've no idea why, but French people in particular seem to do this). That sort of thing is really frustrating, but like I said earlier, I do understand it--the idea that there are hearing problems which can't be "fixed" by simply shouting just doesn't occur to most people.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-15-2006, 05:15 PM   #21
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
So you're not actually "deaf"?
No, I'm not. I can hear, just not that well.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #22
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Do you ever find that your mobility is restricted by your hearing impairment, such as when you need to catch a train or plane?
I actually don't travel that much, even through I love going to new places, and I'll love to go to the UK someday. But whenever I do, I stay with whoever I'm traveling with, which is family members or friends. So I just follow them and stay with my little group.

I don't like using the phone that much, whenever I do use it I always have to have the volume up to the highest setting possible, other wise it's hard to hear the person on the other line. I don't even own a cell phone, which is kind of rare in this day and age. When I was younger, it was almost impossible for me to hear anyone on the phone, even with the volume up at the highest setting, because my hearing aids were bad.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #23
War Child

I just wanted to say that all of you are coming up with some good questions. Keep it up!!
Old 11-17-2006, 11:57 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Yolland - when you have a problem like you've described in Europe, do you tend to explain that you have a hearing problem or just leave people to assume the "dumb American" stereotype? If it was me, I'd be tempted to respond in the native language "I have a hearing problem, NOT a language problem" and be rather snarky (of course I'm also not American, so that would be part of it *g*)

Mr. Green Eyes: I've been to music festivals where there are ASL interpreters and a special seating section near the front for the hearing impaired - would you find them a distraction at a concert or would it help you enjoy the music more?

Old 11-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #25
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Drea

Mr. Green Eyes: I've been to music festivals where there are ASL interpreters and a special seating section near the front for the hearing impaired - would you find them a distraction at a concert or would it help you enjoy the music more?
Hm... That's a good question. I honestly didn't know that they had that. Whenever I go to a music festival, I always sit in or near the front. So, yes, it would be helpful, and I would enjoy the show more. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #26
War Child

Keep it up, I'm more than happy to answer all of your questions about anything.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #27
The Fly

have you ever encountered any psychological problems because of your hearing impairment?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #28
War Child

Expain what you mean by psychological problems.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #29
The Fly

feeling to be left behind at anything?
paranoid for people watching you because you've got funny thingies in your ears?
Do/did people assume you're bad at sports (like in gym class at school before) because you've got hearing difficulties? (though being born 14 weeks premature might have something to do with this? perhaps?)

or, to a larger extent, has it bought you down? why can't I be "normal"?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #30
War Child

Good questions, yes, I did feel left behind. I didn't really have any friends when I was in elementary school, except for three friends that I had outside of school. It got kind of lonely at times. But I had my books, and that was enough for me.
People didn't assume that I was bad at sports, I was. I hated PE, it was terrible, very boring. I was only good at swimming, we had a pool at my school.
You won't believe how tiring it got of hearing,"What are those things in your ears?" I most of heard that more than a hundred times or more.
At first, I wondered what my life could of been like if I wasn't born early, but by the time I was around 8 or so, I realised that it wasn't good to dweal on the past, and on the what ifs.
These were some good questions. Hope that I was able to answer them to your liking. Keep on asking more, and not just on the impairment.