Ask The Grace-Based, Politically Liberal Christian College St.udent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
Ask The Grace-Based, Politically Liberal Christian College Student

Hey kids, ask away. I don't bite:shifty: unless you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Obama. I am fundamentally against the majority of tenets of the current Republican party, so there wasn't a much of a chance I'd be supporting a Republican candidate. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between Clinton and Obama and after reading Obama's book "The Audacity of Hope" and researching his policies and plans along with some of those of Hillary Clinton, I chose to support Obama. I also feel that he will be much more willing to listen and take advice and have a better chance at beginning to create more unity in this county.

That's a great question.

Usually messages that inspire me are those that contain what I feel are messages of the truth and messiness of the reality of the human condition. Those tend to be fiction books for me, oddly enough. Some of the ones that have taught me the most are

1. All The King's Men-Robert Penn Warren
2. The Awakening-Kate Chopin
3. The End of the Affair-Graham Greene
4. The Keepers of the House-Shirley Grau
5. Mystic River-Dennis Lehane
6. The Brothers Karamazov-Dostoevsky
7. The Allegory of the Cave-Plato
8. Revolutionary Road-Richard Yates
9. 1984-George Orwell.
10. Notes on a Scandal-Zoe Heller.

The book I'm currently reading, White Oleander by Janet Fitch, could turn out to be one of the tops on that by the time I'm done with it. All of the books I've mentioned above have deeply flawed, conflicted, and damaged characters that through their words and actions tell stories about how life really is or how it could be. iThese books tell stories of good and evil, salvation and damnation, so to speak. They've all encouraged me to look at the world from other points of view.

As for non-fiction, I've found books like "The Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama, "Giving" by Bill Clinton "Bono: In Conversation" and " Night" by Elie Wiesel have had a big impact on my life. The first 3 have all fostered a desire in me to take my beliefs and convictions and do what I can to begin to act on them and eventually make the world better. "Night" just opened me up to the disasters of what hatred, rurcism, corruption and turning a blind eye to the problems in this world can lead to. We read that book in my 8th grade languag arts class, and it's the only one that stuck with me. The hope it gives even in the middle of the darkest situation imaginable has had a huge impact on me.

There are others, but I would say these are the main books that stick with me and inspire me to look at life and reality in a new way.

U2isthebest said:

1. All The King's Men-Robert Penn Warren

this book is truly a gift that keeps on giving, with sentences that i've never read before, every time i re-read the book.

that Chapter 7 ... breathtaking.

Irvine511 said:

this book is truly a gift that keeps on giving, with sentences that i've never read before, every time i re-read the book.

that Chapter 7 ... breathtaking.

I loved it. I think it was the first "great" book that I've ever read. The movie didn't do it justice, but I though Sean Penn gave an amazing performance as Willie Stark.

U2isthebest said:

I loved it. I think it was the first "great" book that I've ever read. The movie didn't do it justice, but I though Sean Penn gave an amazing performance as Willie Stark.

i'd love to start an FYM/Interference book club.

:sigh:

You're welcome to have a go at it (assuming you're being serious and actually have the time), although getting enough people reading the same book simultaneously might be a problem.

yeah.

i barely have time to read articles about Obama's possible contacts with shady land developers these days.

U2isthebest said:
Obama is doing a damn good Willie Stark, too. :up:

deep said:

Obama is doing a damn good Willie Stark, too. :up:

i'm honestly quite confused.

the actual policy positions between Hillary and Obama are very, very small.

it comes down to, i think, whomever you think would do better in the general election, that is if you are most interested in preventing another Republican presidency.

if you're worried about substantive differences between Obama and Hillary, that's fine, but you're going to have to do more than slam him for being pretty and eloquent and inspiring.

Irvine511 said:

i'd love to start an FYM/Interference book club.

:sigh:

Sorry to intrude on your thread Brit, but another member and I were just discussing that very idea recently. :)

There's a thread in LS that many of us currently post in regarding what we're reading, or want to read.

I would so totally join an FYM book club. (I'm already a member of two book clubs but I'd join another in a heartbeat).

Reading Eat Pray Love for one and the other "Freedom: the story of my Second Life".

And I better do it now because once my kid is born in September I may be pretty scarce around these parts for awhile!

:)

maycocksean said:
And I better do it now because once my kid is born in September I may be pretty scarce around these parts for awhile!

wow

will your baby be born on an island?

i may have to vote for you know who now.

deep said:
wow

will your baby be born on an island?

i may have to vote for you know who now.

:lol:

Hey. Whatever it takes. . .

Oh, and yes, our baby will be born here--at least that's the plan. The hospital is pretty modern--well, except there is no epidural. . .(unless the anthesiologist at the hospital is like your close personal friend, and unfortunately he/she is not. Don't even know if it's a man or woman :( )

Irvine511 said:

congrats!!!

thanks!

Sorry to hijack your thread, there u2isthebest.

:reject:

Let me go away and come back with a question for you, as you intended. . .

Back
Top Bottom