Ask the FYM Mod - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2005, 05:28 AM   #46
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
What do the dates in your sig file mean?
In 15 days, Ewen (another Interferencer) comes to the States to hang out for 3 weeks.

In 199 days, I'll be going to Scotland for 10 days to hang out with Ewen.

The last one is harder to explain...basically, it's a sort of deadline for myself to be doing something different with my life (different, at least, from what I'm doing now).

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:35 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:42 AM
why dont you post your pic ?

Old 04-13-2005, 05:13 AM   #48
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
why dont you post your pic ?

I have a profile pic and a few of myself in my gallery...

And remember, I'm spoken for!

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:15 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by pax

I'm spoken for!
didnt get this American phrase.

I am not a premier member..cant access ur profile.

Please give me link to your gallery
Old 04-14-2005, 07:55 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Do you ever find yourself taking up for, or giving the benefit of the doubt more, to those who think and believe the same as you against those (like me) that you disagree with?
Old 04-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #51
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan

didnt get this American phrase.

I am not a premier member..cant access ur profile.

Please give me link to your gallery
It means you shouldn't go winking at my pictures.

You can link to my gallery, or anyone's, by clicking the "gallery" button at the bottom of their posts. I *think* non-Premiums can view galleries, but you have to be Premium to actually have one.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:10 AM   #52
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Do you ever find yourself taking up for, or giving the benefit of the doubt more, to those who think and believe the same as you against those (like me) that you disagree with?
That's a really good question, and one with which I, and I suspect the other mods who frequently mod FYM, wrestle frequently.

I fear that I do the thing you describe--that is, tend to look a little more favorably on people with whom I usually agree--but I also fear that I tend to be too hard, sometimes, on people with whom I actually do agree, to maintain the air of neutrality and fairness. I've reprimanded posters even with whom I'm friends off the forum, sometimes when it might not have even been totally necessary, but just so that people know I'm making a conscious effort to not choose sides.

It's impossible to be totally unbiased. But at the same time, I don't agree with ANYONE on this forum 100% of the time, either. I usually wind up with the conservatives on gun control and some education issues, for example, and piss off my more liberal colleagues. Whatever. Also, I hope that no one thinks I take a "party line" at all--that whatever my views are, they're my views, not "liberal" views or "Green" views or "Democratic" views or whatever.

Anyway, I freely admit that there's one issue on which I do pretty consistently come down on the side of those with whom I agree, and I've made no secret of that in how I mod FYM; that is, on gay issues. I tried, for a long time, to maintain impartiality on discussions about gay rights, homosexual culture (if there is such a thing, LOL) and the like. But, to be totally honest, when Melon left the forum for a while, I started having second thoughts about that. And basically what I asked myself, with some of the things that people in here have said about gay people and gay relationships, is this: Would I let people say this stuff about black people or Jews? Would I let slide some of the comments if they were about interracial or interfaith relationships? No, I would not. And I decided I really had to stand with the gay posters on those issues, if only so I could sleep at night. Some things are more important to me than totally impartiality.

The caveat here is that all the regulars know this, as does the rest of the mod team. I do try to continue to moderate in such a way that people who respectfully voice disagreements with aspects of homosexuality, out of sincere religious or personal conviction, also have a safe and nonjudgmental place to explain why they feel as they do. I have no problem with that. But some of the comments that I was letting go...I never should have, and I hope some of the gay posters here forgive me for that.

So to answer your question as simply as I can after all that...I'm sure I do it sometimes. In the majority of cases, it's something I consciously attempt to avoid. But for me, impartiality isn't the highest dictum by which I try to mod this forum--compassion is.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:08 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for the explaination, and for not getting mad!
Old 04-14-2005, 11:09 AM   #54
Banned

Are you a good singer?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:44 AM   #55
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Mullen4Prez
Are you a good singer?
Well, "good" is definitely subjective.

I sang competitively for a number of years in high school, and at one point sang with a choir that performed at Carnegie Hall in New York City. I love to sing, and I can be caught singing at all manner of times, appropriate or not.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:03 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

how do you think your experience as a mod might help you later in life, in regards to your career? as a person?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:15 PM   #57
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
how do you think your experience as a mod might help you later in life, in regards to your career? as a person?
Wow, good question.

As a person, it's made me become a little more circumspect, a little more aware that there are 2 sides (or more) to every story. It's definitely made me have more respect for people whose views are radically different from mine--I have to admit that I often dismissed people who were very conservative Christians, for example, before I started modding FYM. But I've come to have more respect for those views, and very much because of the sensitivity and intellectual nuance presented by some of our FYM conservative Christians. We still have our disagreements, of course, but I feel like I have a better sense of why they believe as they do.

In terms of my career...wow, I hadn't thought of that much. My initial answer would be that modding will kill my career because I spend time on Interland at work.

Ultimately my career goals are still a little fuzzy...I'd like to go back to school next year and quit corporate America, and probably get a master's degree and Ph.D. in literature and/or cultural studies. But all that could change if I publish something big before that ever happens. I guess, assuming that's the career path I take, that modding (particularly in FYM) has helped to hone both my arguing skills and my defusing skills. Which can only be helpful in just about any career path.

Does that answer your question? Sorry it was kind of vague.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

how do you like living with a homo? has he destroyed your traditional notions of marraige and family and caused you to view both as worthless since such Godly, Christ-created institutions are now becoming increasingly available for, and intergrated with, homosexuals?

(you really don't need to answer #2 ... just giving a shout out to all the Grace's of the world)
Old 04-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #59
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
how do you like living with a homo? has he destroyed your traditional notions of marraige and family and caused you to view both as worthless since such Godly, Christ-created institutions are now becoming increasingly available for, and intergrated with, homosexuals?

(you really don't need to answer #2 ... just giving a shout out to all the Grace's of the world)

My housemate is very sweet and considerate, and we get along well. He's trying to lose weight and has asked me to hide any purchases of cookies, chocolate, etc. far, far away from him.

He doesn't have a boyfriend...he's dating someone, but pretty casually, as I don't think the feelings are particularly intense. Anyway, I have already discovered that I do not give a hoot if they're hanging out while I'm home, drinking wine and watching movies. I have my own business to attend to.

Plus, he's very psyched about Ewen visiting...he's very well-traveled and enjoyed his time in the UK, so his coolness about a three-week hetero houseguest is exceedingly good, too.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:13 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by pax

You can link to my gallery, or anyone's, by clicking the "gallery" button at the bottom of their posts. I *think* non-Premiums can view galleries, but you have to be Premium to actually have one.
thanks

Lovely pics..

Who is Dee and Who is Jeff?