Ask the Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ft. Worth Frog

Acrobat
I hate jumping on bandwagons but sometimes I succumb to peer pressure. Go ahead, ask anything-Sports, history (preferable:wink: ), personal (not too personal :eyebrow: ), religious, etc. So please, FYM and jump on in!

Right on the money NBC. BVS, I grew up in the northside of FW and now live near Ridgmar Mall in W. FW.

Fave history book-Wow, what a list I could come up with. I really like Arthur Schlesinger's series on FDR and the New Deal. Rising 44 by Davies on the Warsaw Uprising in 1944 is also a great book and very sad. A couple of others would be Freedom From Fear: The Amer. People Through Depression and War 1929-1945 by David Kennedy, and Roosevelt:Soldier of Freedom by James MacGregor Burns. As you can tell, I enjoy the FDR era immensely-That is my general field of study. Of course, my favorite book will be the one that I publish (hopefully:hmm:) in a couple of years on the life of Amon Carter Sr., a Texan philanthropist, publsiher, civic booster, etc.

Ok I am back now;)

I loved TCU. I had always wanted to go there but did not think I would be able to afford it. Fortunately I received a scholarship and then my work helped pay for it too so I came out with no debt! I graduated in 03 with a BA in History and enjoyed every minute there. Of course I encourage others to go there
:wink:

The heat? Well, sometimes it gets a little hot. One summer a few years back we had something like 15 straight days over 100. Usually though it is the humidity that makes it feel hotter than it actually is. Dubya was certainly not the worst gov. in Texas history though certainly not the best.:wink: I can think of a few scoundrels, rascals, and goofballs that inhabited the governors mansion like Pappy O'Daniel, a western swing music star in the 30s and 40s. Did not even have an interest in politics but he just thought he would give it a try at someone's suggestion. The Fergusons in the 20s and 30s were something else too. Texas politics-there's certainly nothing like them that's for sure.

My fave restaurant-Wow what a list. But if had to narrow it down it would have be Esparanzas, a Mexican place. It is owned by the Joe T Garcia's family and is a more "authentic" place. Highly recommended.

Ft. Worth Frog said:

My fave restaurant-Wow what a list. But if had to narrow it down it would have be Esparanzas, a Mexican place. It is owned by the Joe T Garcia's family and is a more "authentic" place. Highly recommended.

Good place. I miss Pedro's Trailer Park(I've heard it's closed down now, but some of the best fajita's ever), there's a little hole in the wall Egyptian place called King Tut, and another fave is a Vietnamese place called Tu Hai(another little hole in the wall but some of the best spring roles ever).

how do you think the rest of the country sees Texas?

how does Texas see the rest of the country?

(i ask because of the bumpersticker: "Texas: it's like a whole other country")

Why is it called Fort Worth? Where is it in Texas, I have no idea :der:

Do you think it's true that men from the South are more gentlemanly than men from anywhere else?

Irvine511 said:
how do you think the rest of the country sees Texas?

I know this isn't my thread but since I've had recent experiece with this I'll just give my 2 cents. I actually had a conversation with these guys in a bar last weekend(they didn't know I was from TX) and they started to go off on how TX is like it's own country, how it operates, looks, thinks etc completely different from the rest of the country. For some this was a turn off and others it was respected. Interestingly enough that is usually defined by how they voted. If they like Bush they think it's cool that TX stands on their own, if you don't like Bush you look at TX as being this backwards arrogant state. Of course this doesn't hold for everyone, but I find this is true for quite a few here in Chicago.

i have a theory that i'll share, and then shut up 'cause this isn't my thread:

once upon a time, the world viewed the USA the way the USA viewed California.

since GWB, the world views the USA the way the USA views Texas.

Yeah Pedro's is closed now unfortunately. Tu Hai is a great place. There are actually quite a few good Vietnamese restaurants in the area. Never had King Tut's though I really want to try it. Any recommendations on things to get there BVS?

Fort Worth is sort of the sister city of Dallas I guess (makes me fell dirty saying that:wink: ) ABout 550,000 people here. It is called Fort Worth because a fort/camp was set up here in 1849 to protect settlers from Indian/Native American/First American raids. It was named after General Worth who fought in the US Mexican War. He is actually buried in NYC-I think there is actually a statue of him there somewhere. Soon after the camp was set up, people came for protection and to provide goods and services to the soldiers. The rest, as the say, is history.

I guess Southerners are generally more gentlemanly, though with the massive migration to the SUnbelt in the past few decades the line between who is/is not a SOutherner has blurred quite a bit.

BVS has a good explanation about the Texas thing, but I will add this. In my experience, both liberals and conservatives in the state are obssessed with Texas. In some ways it is like a whole other country-large population, an almost nationalistic fervor, once an independent republic/ However, I think that many stereotypes about us are just that-stereotypes. I don't own a ranch, have never ridden a horse, grew up in a big city in the middle of the barrio. In fact, most Texans are urban people. However, many thrive on this stereotype because it enforces the states "otherliness".

Don't worry about giving your own opinions-feel free to opine whenever.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom