Ask the former dedicated Christian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Ask the former dedicated Christian

wilbur said:

Why do you want to burn in hell?

wilbur

Because me and Jesus just aren't on the same level these days, and I doubt we'd get on too well in heaven.

Do Miss America said:
Do you think we should rename FYM to ask the _______?

Possibly so. If the threads keep popping up at the rate they have in the last hour, I wouldn't rule it out :up:

Have you considered other faith systems, or do you consider yourself an agnostic?

Re: Re: Re: Ask the former dedicated Christian

beau2ifulday said:

Because me and Jesus just aren't on the same level these days, and I doubt we'd get on too well in heaven.

fair enough, good luck.

U2democrat said:
who's that in your current avatar and who was in the previous one? (the one with the psychic...i think...)

I have no idea who it is in the current avatar - it's just some random imagery from NY.
The former avatar was Brian Slade from Velvet Goldmine.

financeguy said:
Have you considered other faith systems, or do you consider yourself an agnostic?

I've considered two other faith systems - Buddhism and Islam - but felt that I would be entering neither with correct intention, and nor could I be a committed follower should I have chosen to undertake one or the other. I'm agnostic - I sincerely doubt that I will ever become an atheist.

Does being an agnostic automatically mean being a "bad Christian," or can you separate the doctrine and institution from the deity?

Melon

Do Miss America said:
Was their a paticular event or a serious of events that made you lose your faith?

As I grew older, and formed my own opinions, I begun to realise that my perspective on life and society severely conflicted with Chrsitian beliefs and their teachings of what was right and wrong. One issue I had a very big problem with was their teachings on homosexuality. The diocese that my Church was in seemed almost homophobic, and they had organised an anti-gay rally which I openly disagreed with. It didn't go down well, and alot of the congregation became very wary of me. I realised soon after that I was not happy practicing a religion that ostracised any one group in such a way, although I came to acknowledge that it was not my place to criticise them, as they were entitled to their opinion. Again, related to that, I was very worried about the conflict higher up in the Church over issues like homosexuality and divorce. No one agreement could be reached over it, and the divisions it seemed to be causing became very visible to me.
On a personal level, I was going through hardships at the time, which were not embraced well by the congregation, who took to judging me on how I looked as opposed to what was going on beneath the surface (it was a big 'scandal' when I got my lip pierced - apparantly, I was going off the rails). I parted company with Christianity soon after.

See, you pierce your lip and you "get the attention you deserve" as someone of a strong Christian persuasion once decreed, on here, in similar vein.
I dont blame you. I salute you.

I do wish that thread on baring false witness hadn't been closed or so grossly misunderstood.

Actually, here's a question for you.
In your church and among the members, did you find that overall people were happier? There was less divorce, financial struggle, drug dependancy or use (anything from nicoteine and alcohol to more serious)? Was there less of an abundance of hobbies that had absolutely nothing to do with religion? I'm not sure if I'm asking this too clearly.

beau2ifulday said:

As I grew older, and formed my own opinions, I begun to realise that my perspective on life and society severely conflicted with Chrsitian beliefs and their teachings of what was right and wrong. One issue I had a very big problem with was their teachings on homosexuality. The diocese that my Church was in seemed almost homophobic, and they had organised an anti-gay rally which I openly disagreed with. It didn't go down well, and alot of the congregation became very wary of me. I realised soon after that I was not happy practicing a religion that ostracised any one group in such a way, although I came to acknowledge that it was not my place to criticise them, as they were entitled to their opinion. Again, related to that, I was very worried about the conflict higher up in the Church over issues like homosexuality and divorce. No one agreement could be reached over it, and the divisions it seemed to be causing became very visible to me.
On a personal level, I was going through hardships at the time, which were not embraced well by the congregation, who took to judging me on how I looked as opposed to what was going on beneath the surface (it was a big 'scandal' when I got my lip pierced - apparantly, I was going off the rails). I parted company with Christianity soon after.

I actually feel quite the same way about some of these things but I'm a Christian. When I read this it seems to me that it's the Church and Christians that you don't get along with at all and maybe not Christianity or Christ. I say this because you only mention the Church and congregation. Who says that you have to follow this particular congregation or church?

I myself have left the Church (Evangelical Lutheran in Denmark) among other things because they focus to much on the view on women, culture and stuff that Jesus doesn´t even mention. Right now I don´t really belong in a congregation - and don't know if I'll ever will. But I can't bare to loose Christ and I´m holding on to that....

Well just my 2 cents :) - I hope you will figure a way out somehow...

beau2ifulday said:

BEAUTIFULDAY,

Christianity is not able people in this world who judge.

Anyway.. sorry to hear that this was enough to turn you off from god, who truly loves you.. no matter what.

This is what its all about.. not some stupid homophobic pastor. He is just as much as a sinner as anybody else.

I agree with the last two posts. It seems like you had a problem with your church and other un-Christ-like "Christians". Religion seems to have been a problem as well. None of this has anything to do with Christ and a relationship with him. I can understand your frustrations though. I would've done the same thing. I actually turned from the faith when I was younger because my uncle who's an Assembly of God pastor (a denomination with a lot of issues) was very hypocritical and really turned me off from Christianity. I realized though that it was him I had a problem with, not the faith, and the things he did to piss me off weren't of the faith either. I would encourage you to not give up on Christ yet. I'm glad you gave up on the church though. I would suggest reading "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. It's subtitle is "nonreligious thoughts on Christianity" He deals with some of the same issues you've mentioned and it's funny as hell. Relevant magazine and any of the Relevant books (They did one on U2's faith called "Walk On.") are good too.

Just to say, I do agree with the posters above - much of my problem did initially lie with the Church and Christians as opposed to Christ himself. Regardless of this, I continued to worship, despite any shortcomings I had towards those that I was actually worshipping with (I thought it was me who had the problem, not them, and I still suspect to this day that it is me who has the problem - i'm too idealistic about things like religion). The reason I placed emphasis on the Church and Christians in my previous post is because these disagreements were what ultimately began to lead me to question where I really stood with God. I think there comes a point in any religious individual's life where you stand back and look at what you are doing - who you are worshipping, and what you are basing your principles of right and wrong upon. Up until that point, I had never done that, and had been quite happy taking things on face value - sure, there were certain teachings and such that I disagreed with, but it had never bothered me to the point that I was wanting to completely reconsider just how compatible myself and Christianity really were. Moreso, how compatible myself and God were in general, given that the basic teachings of most major religions amount to similar opinions (in relation to murder, theft, homosexuality, divorce - that sort of thing). In turn, after a prolonged absence from religion, and through a certain amount of self-discovery, this has lead to me questioning the role of Christ/God on a vaster scale - i'm not willing to declare the existance of God, but at the same time, i'm not willing to deny it either. That's not to say that this will not change over time, but the bonds I once felt to Christ are no longer there, and now that i'm less subjective about God, I doubt that they were ever truly there in the first place.

Macfistowannabe said:
What are your thoughts on liberal Christianity?

I'm extremely wary of liberal anything when it comes to religion. It's true that the principles of Liberal Christianity match my own views far better than those taught by the CofE (particulatly in relation to separation of God and Government), but the interpretations of the Bible, and the status of the Bible in general seems to stray so far from that of Evangelical and Fundamental Christianity, that it almost seems (to me, at least) that the religion has been completely manipulated above and beyond acceptable levels in order to cater for a minority group. Regardless of whether or not I agree with the teachings of Liberal Christianity, I still wouldn't acknowledge it as a realistic branch to follow because of the extreme of the conflict that exists between it and the more 'generic' idea of what constitutes Christianity.
That's not to say that it is wrong, of course. I certainly wouldn't criticise the beliefs of anyone who was a Liberal Christian. It just doesn't 'fit' well for me.

Last edited:
beau2ifulday said:

Stories like this made me become a pastor.

Back
Top Bottom