Ask the diabetic - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Ask the diabetic

I've seen threads like this, so I thought I'd give this a try.

Ask any questions about the disease, or anything about me. I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

My brother is diabetic, so were my late uncle and my late grandmother. Neither one of them died from diabetes though.

Do you ever feel like diabetes is overlooked/diabetics are discriminated against or somehow blamed for their disease because some people think you can only get it by being overweight?

Are you afraid of the possible complications?

Do you feel like people baby you too much? Do they watch every thing that you eat, how much you exercise, etc?

Old 05-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
My brother is diabetic, so were my late uncle and my late grandmother. Neither one of them died from diabetes though.

Do you ever feel like diabetes is overlooked/diabetics are discriminated against or somehow blamed for their disease because some people think you can only get it by being overweight?

People often think(and I did too, before I was diagnosed), that you only get the disease from being overweight. That is true in alot of Type 2 cases, but I have Type 1. Type 1 is caused by genetics. So when I told people I was diagnosed as a diabetic, they were pretty surprised since I'm 5'7 and in the 140's-150's, not overweight at all. Since the media usually only covers the rise in Type 2 cases, I think that's why people assume that's the cause of diabetes.

Quote:
Are you afraid of the possible complications?
Yes, they do scare me a little bit. I have heard horror stories of people losing a limb or their eyesight due to diabetes. But that's only if I don't take care of myself. As long as I eat right, take my insulin, and exercise, I should be OK. When I was in the hospital when I was diagnosed about a month and a half ago, my doctors told me that as long as I take care of myself, that should be the last time I'm ever in the hospital for my diabetes.

Quote:
Do you feel like people baby you too much? Do they watch every thing that you eat, how much you exercise, etc?
Yes and no. I can monitor myself pretty well. I've always been good about exercising, and aside from occasional cheats, I've eaten healthy, even before the diabetes. However, my mother does tend to get worried if I show certain signs of low blood sugar, or if I say I'm feeling sick. She automatically assumes it's something to do with the diabetes. Also, in a gym class we had to run a mile. My gym teacher told me due to my condition, I could opt out of it if I wanted to. But I didn't. I ran regularly before I was diagnosed, and I still go on runs. Some people don't understand that just because I am diabetic does not mean I can't still be active and do the things I did before I was diagnosed.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for your answers My brother has type 1, I'm pretty sure my grandmother had type 1 as well. I'm not sure about my uncle to be honest, he never had to inject and just took pills until a few months before he died when he had to start injecting.

I hope for all the best for your health
Old 05-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

My cousin has type 1, she wears an insulin pump that clips on her belt with tubing that goes into her leg... a teacher in high school tried to physically take it away because he thought it was a pager and didn't believe her when she told him it wasn't.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:40 AM
I have a family history of it. My Grandfather, my dad and 2 aunts, and now my brother has it. I always get tested for it every 6 months.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Also I am used to eating what my dad had to eat.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:40 AM
Do you get to park in those special parking spaces up by the entrance?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:06 PM   #9
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:40 PM
no. though diabetics can qualify for disability pensions over here. license requirements are also more stringent.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristie
My cousin has type 1, she wears an insulin pump that clips on her belt with tubing that goes into her leg... a teacher in high school tried to physically take it away because he thought it was a pager and didn't believe her when she told him it wasn't.

That's horrible.

My dad has diabetes, was diagnosed when he was 34 and it was so far along he had to begin taking the insulin shots daily from the get go. Hence, I got used to eating lower or no sugar foods because of him, which I didn't mind at all. But, it pisses me off because I'll see him now and when I ask him if he's been watching it it's like it fluctuates - he will, then he won't.

He's always after me to test my blood sugar, though. When I saw him a few weeks ago, he did, and I could see the look of relief on his face when I tested normal.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

There was also an issue a couple of years ago w/ Clear Channel not allowing people with diabetes to bring their syringes into concerts. I don't know how that was ever resolved. You can still bring them on airplanes, I think you need some sort of "doctors note" and they store them for you. Not quite sure how that works, does anyone know for sure?

I can't believe a HS teacher wouldn't know about an insulin pump but I guess many people don't know what they look like or that they even exist.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
There was also an issue a couple of years ago w/ Clear Channel not allowing people with diabetes to bring their syringes into concerts. I don't know how that was ever resolved. You can still bring them on airplanes, I think you need some sort of "doctors note" and they store them for you. Not quite sure how that works, does anyone know for sure?

Thank you for reminding me of that. I'm going to the Red Sox game tomorrow night so I should probably call up Fenway and make sure I can bring my syringes in.

And how could someone not know the difference between an insulin pump and a pager?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Have fun! This is what it says on their web site, but I suppose you could call them to make sure. I don't see how that wouldn't be discrimination of some kind if they didn't let you take them in.

"All persons, bags, and personal items are subject to inspection before entering Fenway Park. No bag or item larger than 16"x16"x8" will be permitted inside the Park.

In addition to items larger than 16"x16"x8", the following items are prohibited: Umbrellas, hard-sided coolers, cans, bottles, glass containers of any kind, alcoholic beverages, illegal substances, firearms, noise-making devices, and commercial audio/visual equipment. Fans will NOT be able to store any prohibited items at Fenway Park. "

I have another question- do you know what famous people, athletes, etc. have diabetes and does that help you in any way, psychologically or otherwise?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Have fun! This is what it says on their web site, but I suppose you could call them to make sure. I don't see how that wouldn't be discrimination of some kind if they didn't let you take them in.

"All persons, bags, and personal items are subject to inspection before entering Fenway Park. No bag or item larger than 16"x16"x8" will be permitted inside the Park.

In addition to items larger than 16"x16"x8", the following items are prohibited: Umbrellas, hard-sided coolers, cans, bottles, glass containers of any kind, alcoholic beverages, illegal substances, firearms, noise-making devices, and commercial audio/visual equipment. Fans will NOT be able to store any prohibited items at Fenway Park. "

I have another question- do you know what famous people, athletes, etc. have diabetes and does that help you in any way, psychologically or otherwise?
Actually, I'm not going to the game tomorrow night. My brother gave me a choice: He'd either get Red Sox tickets or tickets to see Taking Back Sunday tomorrow night, and since they're one of my favorite bands, I chose them. But thanks for posting the info! Good to know for possible future Sox games I go to!

As for your question: I know Halle Berry has diabetes and my mother's boss told me of a famous hockey player from the 70's who has it. It does help me to know that just because I have this disease does not mean I can't do great things. Then again, I'm planning on going into nursing not acting or athletics.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

my wife is a diabetic, she has the pump. It certainly doesn't make her sugar perfect, but it's kept it more under control than just needles. It's a lot less invasive than using needles before meals or in public places.

Are you a candidate for the pump?

Also, speaking of celebrities w/ diabetes, there is a pitcher for the Tigers (last name is Johnson I believe), and there has been a few basketball players w/ it and American Idol contestant Elliot.