Ask the diabetic - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2006, 01:19 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
my wife is a diabetic, she has the pump. It certainly doesn't make her sugar perfect, but it's kept it more under control than just needles. It's a lot less invasive than using needles before meals or in public places.

Are you a candidate for the pump?

Also, speaking of celebrities w/ diabetes, there is a pitcher for the Tigers (last name is Johnson I believe), and there has been a few basketball players w/ it and American Idol contestant Elliot.
Usually, I just go home before dinner. I don't need to take insulin before lunch since I take a mix on Humalog and NPH before breakfast. Humalog is a short-acting insulin and NPH is a long acting insulin.

Right now, I'm not a candidate for the pump since I was diagnosed only a month and a half ago on March 20th. But in about 6 months to a year I should know if I am.

Old 05-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

best of luck. It can be real annoying and frustrating at times, but if you take care of yourself, you'll live a long happy life.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:44 PM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by daygloeyes2

Usually, I just go home before dinner. I don't need to take insulin before lunch since I take a mix on Humalog and NPH before breakfast. Humalog is a short-acting insulin and NPH is a long acting insulin.

Right now, I'm not a candidate for the pump since I was diagnosed only a month and a half ago on March 20th. But in about 6 months to a year I should know if I am.
Did you know you were diabetic? How did you end up getting diagnosed? I dont think I know any other type 1's.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:43 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Havent been around much the past few months, so thats why I havent replied. I had been feeling very tired in the months before I was diagnosed. In february, I began to feel dehydrated. I was drinking well over 10 bottles of water a day. In fact the week before I was diagnosed, I drank a 2 liter bottle of soda in one sitting! Looking back, that should have alerted me something was wrong.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:47 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I wound up getting diagnosed when I went to thd doctor to find out what was wrong. My blood was tested and my blood sugar was 470.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:54 AM   #21
Jesus Online

470??? what measurement does your test record in?
Mine here is mmol/L. My highest known recording was 32.6 or something, and it's read simply HI depending on the metre, and also LO, again depending on the metre. I've been so low that I've passed out, and so high that I've had to go into hospital for ketones.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:23 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:10 PM
I've had Type 1 Diabetes for seven years, now. Sometimes it has been incredibly difficult and taxing, and at many other times it has been easy even for me to forget that I have the disease at all.

My biggest issues? Here you go...

1) Travel. Changing time zones, constant concerns about keeping insulin cold (especially when you live in humid-as-shit Japan!!!), and always needing to be able to count carbohydrates make shit REALLY fucking taxing. Sometimes it ain't not thang, but most of the time travel fucks me right up the ass. It's damn tough, man. Damn tough.

2) I can't sleep in! Every day, I get up no later than 8:00 am in order to get my breakfast and early morning insulin in. Like dayglo, I also use a mixture of fast-acting and slow-acting insulins--Humalog and Humulin N. As the years have gone on, this has been less and less reliable, and I'm now hoping to switch insulins. It seems my body has built up a bit of a defense, for some reason, to this particular combination. Also, I often find that if I sleep in or take any naps during the day, it causes my blood sugar levels to rise...sometimes exponentially. My HBA1C count is usually in the 5.6-6.0 range, which means I'm good to go. But, still...it's not always in that range, and if I've had a tired few months, that's probably why.

On a related note, I won't get too graphic, but...you know...there are a few other bedtime activities which high blood sugars (or low) make pretty hard to deal with. If I'm looking to get some play and my sugar is high, it's not a good idea for me to get it...and that SUCKS, MAN!!!!! In the long term, that sort of thing can lead to impotence or even loss of sensation, and I'm not willing to role like that. Sometimes it's really fucking hard, though, to have to stop every time and say, "Hey, baby...I'm really sorry, but I need to go stab my finger and bleed all over the place before we get down. I'll be RIGHT back! Don't go nowhere!" Sigh. So sketchy. So. Fucking. Sketchy.

3) A worthless piece of shit like President George Bush telling me that just because his nonexistent God decided I should have to live with this horrible, debilitating, slow-killer of a disease, it means that I shouldn't ever have the chance to be cured via stem cell research. I can't wait to spit right the fuck in the face of the next person who tells me that he/she doesn't believe in advancing the sciences. Worthless fucks, all of them. There's nothing worse than being told, "No, you don't deserve to be cured. You can just hold off death, instead. Oh, but cancer? No, that's different. We should cure cancer."

Fucking ridiculous. It's the one major psychological problem I've had with the disease. The unfortunate truth is that there is no "treatment," as such, for Type 1. It's possible and not too hard (usually) to live a full and satisfying life with the disease, but any treatment only goes so far as to shave off the year you lose. The bottom line is that this disease will fuck me up, over time, no matter what I do. The body is not supposed to live like this, and it will only do so for so long at top condition.

I didn't choose to be like this. I hate that people get to choose for me whether or not I get to live a healthy life. I want to eat whenever I feel like it, again. I just want to have ONE Dr. Pepper at a barbecue without having to excuse myself to go to the bathroom and take insulin. I want not to have to plan every last second of every last day around my meal schedule. I want not to have to turn down jobs because they wouldn't work with my health requirements. I want to be healthy, damn it. THIS is my biggest problem with Diabetes--I'm not allowed to be healthy.

It's fucked up. Sorry for ranting a bit, but it kills me to see somebody else just having been diagnosed who's going to have to start figuring out these questions for him/herself in the next few years. Discrimination does exist. People are just too fucking worthless to realize they're participating in it, and nobody realizes that insulin injections don't cure shit. They just keep you around for a few more years, if you're lucky. It's really sad, and I wish that celebrities with the disease would speak up a bit more about it. Why fight so hard for AIDS and Parkinson's but not for Diabetes? It's jacked up, man.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I wound up getting diagnosed when I went to thd doctor to find out what was wrong. My blood was tested and my blood sugar was 470.
Also, when I was diagnosed, it was pretty late in the game. I was going into the coma and starting to die as I finally made it to the hospital. I drank 4 gallons of water (and, like an idiot, GATORADE) in one day and urinated 27 times.

My blood sugar was 740 when I was admitted to intensive care. I was looking death in the face. Scary times, those. Scary times.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #24
Jesus Online

Ask your doctors about a new 24 hour insulin which will be on the market (here in Aus) in October. It's currently a delightful $150 per vial, but will be going on our PBS soon after and will be inline with other 5 vial prescriptions. I'm hoping it can do away with the craptacular Protophane and the (still) untested Humalog.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I switched off the NPH since I was getting too low with it. I'm now on lantus and I take a shot of it at night. There are no ups and downs with it and it lasts for 24 hours.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:25 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I switched off the NPH since I was getting too low with it. I'm now on lantus and I take a shot of it at night. There are no ups and downs with it and it lasts for 24 hours.
That sounds dank as hell. Oh, how I miss being able to afford health insurance...!
Old 08-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #27
Jesus Online

Quote:
Aye, that's the one! So you get one injection a day?? I've been stuck on 4 since the last pregnancy and it shits me.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Since November is National Diabetes Awareness Month here in the states, I thought I'd give the thread a bump.