Ask the College Student - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2008, 01:34 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:35 PM
Do you appreciate the Skyway?

Old 01-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:35 PM
We only have a couple skyways on campus, but the tunnels come in very, very handy in the winter. Unless you're referring to the lightrail, which is amazing, and I hope the city gets approval to expand it into the campus area.

The skyway downtown is pretty cool though; it goes through several buildings. My one complaint about it is that since it's specifically geared towards business people, most of the restaurants in there aren't open past 6 during the week and aren't open at all on the weekends.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:13 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:35 PM
No, I meant the skyways like they have in downtown Minneapolis. I have been just once, but it was Winter, so I took advantage of them when I went to see the Wolves play. I did take the lightrail, from the airport to a stop right near my Hotel....Nicollete Mall or Street or something.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, the skyways downtown are definitely a life saver in the winter.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:39 AM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:35 PM
Is that normal that I don't have any seminars or other things like that? I only have to write exams, exams, exams....from the first semester to graduation! And the profs often pose hard exams, and we don't have the chance to show what we're really able to do, like writing homeworks e.g. !
Old 01-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You are at RWTH Aachen, right?
Especially at German universities, and even more so at those that are focussing on research rather than teaching, seminaristic teaching and writing term papers is not yet that common.
It's a bit different at the Fachhochschulen, but still the level of seminaristic teaching is a lot less than in the US system.
I think the more seminaristic approach is more encouraging than this bulk of exams at the end of each semester, and though I prefer writing term papers the prospect to having to write four exams, three term papers and pass one oral exam next month is not all too promising.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #22
New Yorker

^right, RWTH !
Ok, so I guess I chose the wrong subject. At the beginning of the semester the prof said, ok I know this class is gonna be very voluminous and I know that 70% fails this class, so we decided that you can write term papers every 3 weeks, and it'll step up your grades!And I thought, ok better than nothing! But they didn't pose a term paper till now, cause it's too much work...etc.
-Great!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by achtung_girl
Is that normal that I don't have any seminars or other things like that? I only have to write exams, exams, exams....from the first semester to graduation! And the profs often pose hard exams, and we don't have the chance to show what we're really able to do, like writing homeworks e.g. !
We tend to have lectures and/or discussions two or three days a week per class. So, for my Global Politics class, we meet for an hour lecture every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. And, for my Rock History class, we have lecture for an hour on Monday and Wednesday and a discussion for an hour on Friday. The discussions are meant to split a huge class into smaller sections to give people a chance to speak their minds.

As for the homework and such, it depends on the class. One class I'm taking is basically exams only, three throughout the semester. Another is based on papers for the most part, no exams, but a lot of writing. But, in none of them are there little daily assignments or anything like that.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Do you know how to properly microwave popcorn?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

do you, like most college students, plan on destroying your credit by maxing out credit cards on beer and cheetos and then not being able to restore it for a decade because paying back student loans doesn't do anything for your credit rating?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
Do you know how to properly microwave popcorn?
I've learned quite quickly how to microwave all sorts of popcorn, including the little mini bags.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
do you, like most college students, plan on destroying your credit by maxing out credit cards on beer and cheetos and then not being able to restore it for a decade because paying back student loans doesn't do anything for your credit rating?
Well, I do have a credit card, just one. I can honestly say I have never used it on beer or cheetos.

I tend to use it when I literally have zero cash in my bank account, which doesn't happen very often. I'm lucky and have a great campus job that pays very well.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife

I've learned quite quickly how to microwave all sorts of popcorn, including the little mini bags.
thats awesome. please teach everyone in your hall so you can reduce the frequency of fire alarms.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

thats awesome. please teach everyone in your hall so you can reduce the frequency of fire alarms.
We actually haven't had any fire alarms yet this year.

On a really nice note, for a few days at the beginning of this semester, our fire alarms were not working. We would have been totally fucked if a fire had started in the middle of the night.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

holy crap! thats a major fire code violation. good thing that was taken care of.