Ask the Baptist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I am a believer in Christ first, but I am also a member
of a Baptist Church. A denomination, I think, that has
been badly represented(at times) and often badly misunderstood.

I believe that the historic Baptist beliefs on sin, Christ, salvation, the church, and the individual freedom of the believer brings the Baptists as one of the closest denominations in line with New Testament scripture.

I will try to answer any questions.

asap

Last edited:
I belong to a local Southern Baptist church (and I am a member of a local/online Christian community.) A bit of conflict, at times.

But I consider myself a Baptist in the historic tradition. Not what some view as Baptist today.

"Ok so clear up the whole no dancing thing...it's always baffled me."

*on second reading, i'm not sure you guys meant a legalistic "no dancing"
rule or my often reference to "Why Not Dance?"

My reply was on the latter.

It's like the first paragraph of M. Scott Pecks book, The Road Less Traveled, life is diffucult. Life is hard and often filled with disappointment and pain. We can all add more to this list.

The trick is to accept this reality about life. Once we accept this truth, we can transcend this. We can dance though these troubles.

We know there is more light, than darkness.

We cry, but we can also laugh.

Love is gonna come to town one day.

Last edited:
the iron horse said:
"Ok so clear up the whole no dancing thing...it's always baffled me."

*on second reading, i'm not sure you guys meant a legalistic "no dancing"
rule or my often reference to "Why Not Dance?"

My reply was on the latter.

It's like the first paragraph of M. Scott Pecks book, The Road Less Traveled, life is diffucult. Life is hard and often filled with disappointment and pain. We can all add more to this list.

The trick is to accept this reality about life. Once we accept this truth, we can transcend this. We can dance though these troubles.

We know there is more light, than darkness.

We cry, but we can also laugh.

Love is gonna come to town one day.

:huh: Not sure what reference you were talking about.

I was asking because I know a lot of Baptists believe dancing is a sin. I was trying to find out if that is all Baptists and why?

"Not sure what reference you were talking about.

I was asking because I know a lot of Baptists believe dancing is a sin. I was trying to find out if that is all Baptists and why?"

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No, I do not believe the scriptures teach that dancing is a sin.

David, in the scriptures, danced before the Lord.

Hey iron horse, good to see another one of these. Im just curious what is the background on the relgion, and how did your church start?

the iron horse said:

No, I do not believe the scriptures teach that dancing is a sin.

David, in the scriptures, danced before the Lord.

So is that only certain portions of Baptists, and is a Southern Baptist versus other? I'm trying to find a little more about this. You are being a little vague and I know for a fact that many Baptist teach this.

Are you Southern Baptist in the pre-1970 sense (think Jimmy Carter) or Southern Baptist in the present tense (think Christian Coalition)?

Melon

Thanks for the replies.
I will try to answer, the best I can,
each specific question.

The following are some core truths I believe:

Truth is truth, but not all truth is equally important.
I believe that most of the world's religions contain
some truth, but I believe that the message of Christ
is the Truth. The most important truth.

I am a believer in Christ first, not a denomination or a local church.
I also believe there are believers in many different denominations. We are not one in Christ, not because of a church we attend or a set of rules/regulations, but we are one in our faith in Christ.

Faith in Christ is about a personal relationship with the one true living God, not all the extra baggage so often thrown on it.

Legalisim and a devotion to one view claiming to be the truth outside the New Testament scriptures destroys the freedom and liberty we have in Christ.

I believe these truths are absolute to the
Christian faith. To me, they are not up for compromise:

-the diety of Christ

-His substitutionary death on the cross

-His physical resurrection

-Salvation by grace through faith

Historic Baptist Teachings:

1. The Bible is the only rule of faith and practice (II Timothy 3:16).

"All the New Testament is the Law of Christianity. The New Testament is all the Law of Christianity. The New Testament will always be all the Law of Christianity. This does not deny the inspiration or profit of the Old Testament ... It affirms, however, that the Old Testament, as a typical, educational and transitory system, was fulfilled by Christ, and as a standard of law and way of life was nailed to the cross of Christ." ~B.H. Carroll

2. The qualifications for membership in a New Testament church are regeneration and immersion, in that specific order (Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 2:41,47).

3. The independence of the local church (Matthew 18:17; I Corinthians 5:4-5,13).

4. The priesthood of the believer, or the right of the individual to interpret Scripture privately, and to have direct access to God (I Peter 2:9).

5. The right of all people to soul liberty or religious liberty, to freely worship according to the dictates of his heart.

6. The church has only two ordinances, (1) believer's immersion and (2) the Lord's Supper, and are to be observed only in that order (Matthew 28:19-20; Romans 6:3-5; I Corinthians 11:23-30).

7. The Separation of Church and State, but not to exclude Christian involvement in society, (Matthew 22:21).

Last edited:
macphisto23 said:
Hey iron horse, good to see another one of these. Im just curious what is the background on the relgion, and how did your church start?

My home church is a Baptist church, but the church community I am involved with is a small group, calleded bordercross, that started in the early 90s. We operated a coffee house till the building we rented was sold.

Right now we are gathering once a month and searching for another building rent. Locally, we are working out of a cardboard box.

Our online community is posted on my profile.

"What about drinking? Why do baptist believe drinking is wrong?"

No, I do not believe the scriptures teach that drinking is a sin.

The scriptures do teach that drunkeness is a sin.

"Moderation in all things." ~Saint Paul

My oldest brother is a Southern Baptist. He is very self righteous and judgemental and is also a very unkind and dishonest person. He believes no matter what he does, he is forgiven because he is a Christian and that others who are better people will go to hell because they haven't officially repented. IMO, once you do repent and are 'saved' aren't you supposed to at least TRY to do the right thing? Can't God see that? Can a person continue to sin and wrong others intentionally, then run to his room and beg for forgiveness? I think this is wrong if the person planned to sin or wrong ahead of time and planned to use his forgiveness that way. He is a bad example and I'm sorry to say the majority of Southern Baptists I have known are like this. What say you?

"Yes, then why the ban on drinking?"

Madelynlris, I am a Christian who thinks that the traditional Baptist view is very close to what the scriptures teach.

I know that there are Baptists groups that ban drinking, but in imposing this ban they are going against the very freedom that Baptists beliefs are suppose to allow for each person.

Romans 14 (The Message)

Welcome with open arms fellow believers who don't see things the way you do. And don't jump all over them every time they do or say something you don't agree with--even when it seems that they are strong on opinions but weak in the faith department. Remember, they have their own history to deal with. Treat them gently.

For instance, a person who has been around for a while might well be convinced that he can eat anything on the table, while another, with a different background, might assume all Christians should be vegetarians and eat accordingly. But since both are guests at Christ's table, wouldn't it be terribly rude if they fell to criticizing what the other ate or didn't eat? God, after all, invited them both to the table. Do you have any business crossing people off the guest list or interfering with God's welcome? If there are corrections to be made or manners to be learned, God can handle that without your help.

Or, say, one person thinks that some days should be set aside as holy and another thinks that each day is pretty much like any other. There are good reasons either way. So, each person is free to follow the convictions of conscience.

What's important in all this is that if you keep a holy day, keep it for God's sake; if you eat meat, eat it to the glory of God and thank God for prime rib; if you're a vegetarian, eat vegetables to the glory of God and thank God for broccoli. None of us are permitted to insist on our own way in these matters. It's God we are answerable to--all the way from life to death and everything in between--not each other. That's why Jesus lived and died and then lived again: so that he could be our Master across the entire range of life and death, and free us from the petty tyrannies of each other.

So where does that leave you when you criticize a brother? And where does that leave you when you condescend to a sister? I'd say it leaves you looking pretty silly--or worse. Eventually, we're all going to end up kneeling side by side in the place of judgment, facing God. Your critical and condescending ways aren't going to improve your position there one bit. 11Read it for yourself in Scripture:

"As I live and breathe," God says,

"every knee will bow before me;

Every tongue will tell the honest truth

that I and only I am God."

So tend to your knitting. You've got your hands full just taking care of your own life before God.

Forget about deciding what's right for each other. Here's what you need to be concerned about: that you don't get in the way of someone else, making life more difficult than it already is. I'm convinced--Jesus convinced me!-that everything as it is in itself is holy. We, of course, by the way we treat it or talk about it, can contaminate it.

If you confuse others by making a big issue over what they eat or don't eat, you're no longer a companion with them in love, are you? These, remember, are persons for whom Christ died. Would you risk sending them to hell over an item in their diet? Don't you dare let a piece of God-blessed food become an occasion of soul-poisoning!

God's kingdom isn't a matter of what you put in your stomach, for goodness' sake. It's what God does with your life as he sets it right, puts it together, and completes it with joy. Your task is to single-mindedly serve Christ. Do that and you'll kill two birds with one stone: pleasing the God above you and proving your worth to the people around you.

So let's agree to use all our energy in getting along with each other. Help others with encouraging words; don't drag them down by finding fault. You're certainly not going to permit an argument over what is served or not served at supper to wreck God's work among you, are you? I said it before and I'll say it again: All food is good, but it can turn bad if you use it badly, if you use it to trip others up and send them sprawling.

When you sit down to a meal, your primary concern should not be to feed your own face but to share the life of Jesus. So be sensitive and courteous to the others who are eating. Don't eat or say or do things that might interfere with the free exchange of love.

Cultivate your own relationship with God, but don't impose it on others. You're fortunate if your behavior and your belief are coherent. But if you're not sure, if you notice that you are acting in ways inconsistent with what you believe--some days trying to impose your opinions on others, other days just trying to please them--then you know that you're out of line. If the way you live isn't consistent with what you believe, then it's wrong.

Back
Top Bottom