ask the autistic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My roommate is very interested in autism, and she'd like to know the severity of your specific case, and if you, by chance, see musical notes as colors.

U2democrat said:
There seems to be a rise in autism lately. Do you think it's because it's simply being caught and diagnosed more, or is it actually appearing in more people?

It's been researched more. It's always been around. It's hereditary. It runs in my father's family,

onebloodonelife said:
My roommate is very interested in autism, and she'd like to know the severity of your specific case, and if you, by chance, see musical notes as colors.

No, I don't see musical notes as colors. I actually have a form of autism called Asperger's Syndrome.

do you ever have to "come out" as autistic? is it appropriate to ever bring into casual conversation, and if so, how do you do it?

How does having Aspergers affect your social interactions? How does it affect the way that you learn things?

Eta - thought of another question/comment. I once read a theory about the rise in rates of the occurrence of autism that was really interesting, and it relates to your comment about heritability. It speculated that in decades past, people who carried mild forms of autism, mostly undetected, would go on to marry and have children with people who didn't carry this genetic feature, and so their children would be unlikely to exhibit symptoms of the autism range. Now that more women are entering scientific and technological fields (fields that are sometimes attractive to those who are mildly autistic, or have undiagnosed autistic tendencies), more men and women with those tendencies are meeting, marrying, and having children with full-blown autism. If I remember correctly, I think they've found higher rates of autism in areas that have a concentration of those types of employers. One that I remember specifically is Silicon Valley. They weren't saying that this accounts for all cases, but that it could account for the significant rise in recent years.

Have you heard of this theory, and if so. what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom