Ask the artist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do most of my work in the mixed media of acrylic and oil pen. I didn't use any oil pen in "Dream of Istanbul" but that's the only painting I've done in the past two years that's strictly acrylic. I listen to music when I'm working, not surprisingly it's frequently U2! I use watercolors as well, also in combination with oil pen. Love those paint pens!

Last edited:
verte76 said:
Love those paint pens!

I've never used any of those, but I'd be interested in using them. I do mostly oil, are the pens something that would help me with fine details that maybe a brush wouldn't? If so, do you have a paticular brand you recommend?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I've never used any of those, but I'd be interested in using them. I do mostly oil, are the pens something that would help me with fine details that maybe a brush wouldn't? If so, do you have a paticular brand you recommend?

I haven't used oil since high school, and I don't know anything about it! Ever since one of my art teachers turned me on to acrylics in high school, I've preferred that big time. I didn't like it that oil took so damn long to dry! I like UniPaint and Sharpie oil pens.

verte76 said:

I didn't like it that oil took so damn long to dry! I like UniPaint and Sharpie oil pens.

Thanks.

Yeah I sometimes am working on more than one painting so I can let one dry a little before get back to work.

coemgen said:
What inspires your work? How long have you been painting?

My first inspiration was my mother, who's a really talented artist, and why my family is "artsy", all of us were taught various kinds of art, including music and dance as well as visual. So I've been painting for about thirty-five years. My biggest artistic influences are Delacroix, Van Gogh, and more recently Chagall, when one of my teachers told me I should study him. My first Chagall adaptation was his "Rain", which is the painting that's my avatar. I did this right after my mother's open heart surgery; I do some of my best work when I'm under stress, and I consider this one of my better pictures, and I had an excellent result when some big shot execs bought it at an exhibition!

VertigoGal said:
How would you describe/classify your style of painting (if thats even an answerable question)? I've looked through your paintings a lot before and think they are very unique & cool :up:

Thanks for the compliment! I have quite a few different influences. My biggest influences are Delacroix, Van Gogh, and the psychedelic art of the '60's.

Do people ever tell you that to be a "real" artist you must work in a different medium?

coemgen said:
Cool. :wink: How many have you sold? What's the most someone's paid for one?

I've sold six paintings and a set of tiles since the first show I was in, in December 2003. The Energen execs paid $300 bucks for "Rain". Under the agreement I have with the studio, I got two-thirds. I was shocked when the director handed me the check in April. I knew my picture was going into the competition but I had no idea I'd win.

Angela Harlem said:
Are you a member of a co-op?

Not really. My studio is actually art therapy for autistics. I have a form of autism called Aspergers' Syndrome. It's a really neat place that was started by two local businesswomen in 1989, and it's been a huge success because they are very smart about fund-raising. Our shows go towards supporting the studio. We get two thirds from the pictures we well and the studio gets a third. This is very fair, since, heck, they even pay for our supplies.

indra said:
Do people ever tell you that to be a "real" artist you must work in a different medium?

I haven't been told precisely this. But I've gotten dirty looks from people when I tell them that I work in a modern style. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Do you ever paint people/portraits? Have you ever done a self-portrait?

What's your favorite art museum you've visited?

No; I absolutely suck as a figure drawer. I do put people in my pictures but they are pretty abstract. When I adapted Chagall's "Marketplace" I actually put abstract shapes in the place of the people in the original. :reject:
My favorite art museum is the Metropolitan in New York. The Cloisters is part of this museum, although it's in a different part of Manhattan, and I absolutely love that place.

Took a peek at both your sites.Iam a history buff esp Medieval history :)

I really liked the Surrealistic Window one.That was really cool with the light peeking through.How was you able to do that?

Is there such a thing as painter's block?

LadyRhia said:
Took a peek at both your sites.Iam a history buff esp Medieval history :)

I really liked the Surrealistic Window one.That was really cool with the light peeking through.How was you able to do that?

Is there such a thing as painter's block?

On "Surrealistic Windows" I did the linear design in oil pen, then painted acrylic over that on the other side of the window. It's a really neat concept that my teachers at the studio came up with.
There's definitely such a thing as painters' block. Sometimes I'll just look at a canvas and feel like there's not a damn thing I can do. I just go away and wait for that burst of inspiration.

Last edited:
What are you working on now?

Will you sell any of your paintings to a fellow FYMer? I love your use of colors especially in "Dream of Istanbul".

Ft. Worth Frog said:
What are you working on now?

Will you sell any of your paintings to a fellow FYMer? I love your use of colors especially in "Dream of Istanbul".

Thanks for the compliment! I'm currently working on a cushion at the studio and will be starting another project at home, I usually have two projects going simultaneously. Yes, I'll sell to other FYMers! The catch is that UPS charges really high prices for shipping a piece bigger than 130 inches in circumference, over $100. It's about $20 to ship a smaller piece, I've shipped two paintings to a lady in California for auctions benefitting AWF.

Last edited:
Golightly Grrl said:
Your work is amazing, Verte.

What do you feel about artists who "market" their work whether it be on t-shirts, mugs, etc? Would you ever consider doing this yourself?

Thanks! I think artists who market their work on t-shirts and mugs and such are cool. After all, I sell my paintings. It is very difficult to make a living as an artist. You've got to be creative. I personally also work part time in a library, which is very helpful. I know people who support themselves exclusively as artists. They teach, enter shows in a whole slew of cities, etc, etc. If you're doing good work on t-shirts or whatever, why not sell it? The money comes in handy. The important thing is to do your best work. If people want to buy that, fine.

Last edited:
Muggsy said:

:hmm: that gave an idea :D

hey verte... when did you start to paint??...

I started when I was in junior high, and my parents sent me to a local art teacher. That teacher taught me how to work with acrylics. I liked acrylics a heck of alot better than oil because oil takes so long to dry.

Are you familar with the Dadaists? (I don't necesarily mean in them being an influence on your own art, but just as a reference point). If so what are your views on them?

(I am very ignorant of art to be honest.)

Back
Top Bottom