Ask the American Expatriate - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1

I'm bumping up a nearly year old thread to say the very important thing of: Americans have electrical sockets in bathrooms? Seriously?! ...I find that really weird ...but why would you want a plug socket in a bathroom anyway?
for the Toaster, silly

Old 01-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1

I'm bumping up a nearly year old thread to say the very important thing of: Americans have electrical sockets in bathrooms? Seriously?! ...I find that really weird ...but why would you want a plug socket in a bathroom anyway?
Lots of things. We have a single two-socket outlet we use for the nightlight (always plugged in, switches on when it's dark), hair dryer, curling irons, and sometimes fans when we're trying to dry the floor after mopping. It's a good thing we have one b/c some of the bedrooms are on the same circuit in our house and if two people are using too much electricity, the fuse blows.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #48
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:11 AM
Funny, I have stayed in many hotels in London and they always had bathroom sockets. But perhaps that it just to cater to us.

Yeah, what LivLuv said pretty much--Americans tend to take the view that any and all procedures related to personal grooming ought to take place in the bathroom and nowhere else, so yes an electrical socket is required for all those curling irons, hairdryers, electric toothbrushes, electric razors, heat-based contact lens disinfectors and what have you.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:02 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Funny, I have stayed in many hotels in London and they always had bathroom sockets. But perhaps that it just to cater to us.
Nah, it's probably just the wilds of North Yorkshire being behind the times! ...and wherever Meegannie lives.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:31 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM
Quote:

Yeah, what LivLuv said pretty much--Americans tend to take the view that any and all procedures related to personal grooming ought to take place in the bathroom and nowhere else, so yes an electrical socket is required
Well, you can't really plug in your electric toothbrush on your bedroom floor and use it there. Yuck!
Old 01-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Electric toothbrushes and razors use a razor socket here (they're smaller and have two-pronged plugs). Most bathrooms (not mine, so I have to use an electric toothbrush with batteries ) have that kind of socket fitted, just not the standard socket.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:55 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Have You travels to Ireland or Scotland yet?

What the currency Exchange rate?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #53
Acrobat

I am acctually thinking about going to scotland soon. Are there any scottish posters here?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:11 PM
the house that i am getting ready to move into was built in 1920 and there are no outlets in the bathroom. we dry our hair in a little computer room off the kitchen. therefore when i am drying my hair, i can also cook. saves time! and i have to unplug the toaster to plug in the blow dryer!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #55
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarvark
I am acctually thinking about going to scotland soon. Are there any scottish posters here?
There is an old "Ask the..." thread devoted to that too! Can't remember its name, though.

melon once made a very helpful post indexing all the "Ask the..." threads that have been done. Perhaps that thread should be affixed to the top of the queue and left there for future addenda.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #56
Acrobat

Quote:

There is an old "Ask the..." thread devoted to that too! Can't remember its name, though.

melon once made a very helpful post indexing all the "Ask the..." threads that have been done. Perhaps that thread should be affixed to the top of the queue and left there for future addenda.
That would be great. I am really edgar to ask some key questions.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:15 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:11 PM
what advice could you give to someone wanting to move from the US to the UK?

Where abouts do you live in the UK? (sorry if this has been asked already)
Old 01-31-2006, 05:21 AM   #58
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bammo2
yeah eastenders is still running

dirty den came back from the dead for a while, but they've just killed him again and buried him under concrete in the cellar of the Queen Vic

All I can remember from that show is the pub and the dog. He was the best part of that show, lol, his name was Roly wasn't it? No one ever walked him And the pub owner then had a surly teenage son, didn't they?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:38 AM   #59
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
What other aspects of British cooking are we completely missing here in the US (i.e., things we overlook due to common perceptions of British cooking)?
Meat pies
Old 01-31-2006, 05:58 AM   #60
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
I also miss free drink refills, 7-Eleven, and the general kitschiness of so many things in America.

I wholeheartedly agree. I really miss going out a cafe and getting a bottomless cup of filter coffee/glass of ice tea. Speaking of coffee, its all "italian style" here and its really hard to find a decent cup of filter coffee.

I also miss cheaper and more casual places to eat out. It seems like most every restaurant over here is fully decked out with table cloths etc. and its hard to eat out without spending an arm and a leg.