Ask the... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:15 PM
Ask the...

...well, I don't know what I am.

Not that I'm one to want to join a bandwagon, but, at the very least, I think some of you might be confounded by some of what I've written here lately in regards to politics, so I'll be happy to clarify my positions to anyone who would like to ask. Or feel free to ask anything, although I'd ask that it be a sincere, rather than silly, question. I don't have as much time to write as I used to!

Old 01-26-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:15 PM
Let's get down to the marrow...

As far as gay rights, is there anyone you are voting for? Or do you feel like you have to compromise?

Old 01-26-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

what is the single most interesting thing you've found in your research of religions and philosophies?
Old 01-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:15 AM
What's your technique to get all those information, dates, names etc. stuck in your head? (do you say so, stuck in one's head?)
Old 01-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
As far as gay rights, is there anyone you are voting for? Or do you feel like you have to compromise?
To get to the marrow, this is the issue that killed my once unwavering loyalty to the Democratic Party. If the party only really cares about that "core demographic" of "working class heterosexual families," then why should I, who isn't part of any of those demographics, continue to give my support unquestioningly?

Nevertheless, while my disappointment with the party directly stretches back to the 2004 election, with the disappointment that was John Kerry, I find the current incarnation of the Republican Party is far worse. I will not vote for the party of Christianist theocracy and anti-intellectual populism. They have made an absolute mockery of the secular Enlightenment values that founded our nation, have turned us into a global laughingstock, and I think it would be completely irresponsible to vote for the GOP for any reason, at this point.

The 2008 field of Democrats have been marginally better on this issue than in 2004, but I still think that they value evangelical Christians over gays, and that, if it meant getting more evangelicals in the fold, they would all still quite happily ignore us. At a cursory glance, I think I'd feel better voting for the British Conservative Party, under David Cameron, than I will voting Democratic in November. European "liberal conservatism" is certainly preferable to whatever kind of reactionary nonsense that's spewing out of the U.S. currently.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

melon, do you agree with hitler's views on bluray v hddvd?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
what is the single most interesting thing you've found in your research of religions and philosophies?
Good question. I'd say that the most interesting aspect of all of this is that the history of religion seems quite closely tied to the history of linguistics. On one hand, we have the Semitic languages (Hebrew, Arabic, Ge'ez [Ethiopia], etc.) and religion, and on the other, we have Indo-European languages (Sanskrit [and most other Indian languages], Persian/Farsi, and most all European languages and religion.

I think the main reason that Judeo-Christianity has been as successful as it has been is that it benefited from Indo-European cultural encroachment (primarily through Persian and Greek cultural imperialism early on, then through the lenses of Roman and Germanic culture for the last 2,000 years) on Semitic culture to the point that it effectively lost its history. As such, the Biblical epics are often given more historical credence than one would assign to ancient Greek myths or the Norse Poetic Eddas, for instance, because we often have outside historical sources to flat out contradict what they have written, in certain circumstances.

Nevertheless, the beauty of linguistics is that there are some connections that can be made outside of written history. For instance, nearly all of the early "enemies" of the Israelis--Canaanites, Phoenicians, etc.--were part of the same extended Semitic family and pantheon, and it is likely that the progenitors of all of them came into Canaan out of Africa long ago into prehistory. Then, as centuries went on, the population grew, and they started differentiating from each other into separate cultures. As an aside, there is evidence that the Philistines were likely Indo-European in origin, perhaps being connected to the Sea Peoples.

Anyway, a thorough description of this subject would probably require hundreds, if not thousands, of pages, so I'll just leave it at this, for now.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
What's your technique to get all those information, dates, names etc. stuck in your head? (do you say so, stuck in one's head?)
A lot of it just comes down to repetition and what I'm interested in. For instance, there's certain subjects that come up in here repeatedly, and, as such, I have those arguments down with great detail.

On the other hand, I credit much of my success on having a decent foundation in Western philosophy and comparative religions. From there, if I don't know a specific detail, I often know exactly where to look to get that detail.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
melon, do you agree with hitler's views on bluray v hddvd?
Serious questions only!

(In practice, both formats are substantially similar, but overpriced. I think it will be a hard sell getting people to spend even more money on HD movies, particularly since a lot of people already think that regular DVDs cost too much. I like HD-DVD, because it doesn't have region coding, but Blu-Ray also has more home authoring drives and tools, so consumers will lose, no matter who wins.)
Old 01-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Serious questions only!

(In practice, both formats are substantially similar, but overpriced. I think it will be a hard sell getting people to spend even more money on HD movies, particularly since a lot of people already think that regular DVDs cost too much. I like HD-DVD, because it doesn't have region coding, but Blu-Ray also has more home authoring drives and tools, so consumers will lose, no matter who wins.)
so basically what you're saying is that you agree with hitler on everything?

alrigh, enough of that.

let's see here...

have you heard about the new technology unveiled recently that portrays, for the first time, a high definition picture/moving picture in mid air, without any sort of backdrop?

it's like watching a movie in thin air.

if so, when will this be available to the mainstream? precise numbers, dates etc. demanded.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Tomorrow, 3.45pm Eastern Time, but the company will file for bankruptcy 3.46pm Eastern Time due to low sales.

Thanks for clarifying, melon. I used to have a pretty good memory for things I was interested in, but sometimes I feel like I have lost most already.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
Thanks for clarifying, melon. I used to have a pretty good memory for things I was interested in, but sometimes I feel like I have lost most already.
So what are you interested in?

(I guess I'm allowed to ask questions in my own "ask" thread. )
Old 01-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Are you still considering moving to Canada someday?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
have you heard about the new technology unveiled recently that portrays, for the first time, a high definition picture/moving picture in mid air, without any sort of backdrop?

it's like watching a movie in thin air.

if so, when will this be available to the mainstream? precise numbers, dates etc. demanded.
I haven't heard of this, actually. I do remember something about experiments in this arena. If you have any sources to share, as a technology geek, I'd be happy to read it!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Are you still considering moving to Canada someday?
Yes, and if all goes as planned, my permanent residency should be approved in March.

I bear no real ill-will towards the U.S., but I can't live as a second-class citizen forever. Plus, considering that I have no legal mechanism to bring my partner to America, since we're run by religious fanatics and cowards here, I really don't have much choice.

I'm also nervous about the prospect of looking for a job there...heh.