Ask a Witch - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 11:46 AM
I would like to know more about Paganism and the Wiccan religion. It all sounds so interesting and I would like to give it a go. I've been contemplating this for years but have been too busy to do anything about it. What with five, FIVE! kids...

Old 04-07-2005, 12:24 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tinybubbles
You know, great grandma wants her irish whiskey on the altar, others are more happy with sauerbrauten!!!
exactly also what you said about prince. he has that playful attitude, one wonders what is going on at paisley park.

have fun with edge in ireland!

Old 04-07-2005, 08:08 AM   #33
The Fly

Local Time: 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

There is currently a big debate in Ireland over whether a motorway should be built close to Tara Hill in Co Meath (not that far from Newgrange) which is also a significant site for pagans.

Yes, I am aware of that debate. When I heard about it (through some Irish reclaiming witches on the net) it made me sick. Is it part of the big economic boom in the 90's that caused this souless sport of building big motorways?
I mean, last time I was over there, everyone drove tiny cars and I was much impressed. You see, I am used to driving in Washington DC where a family of 2 looks for a parking space for their Humvee and bitches about it. And then bitches about the price of gas. Consume, consume, consume. I hope Ireland has not been infected.
How is the fight going to save Tara Hill? Maybe we should get Bono on more local matters, I am sure saving Ireland would be child's play compared to Africa!!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:16 AM   #34
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by RosieHS
I would like to know more about Paganism and the Wiccan religion. It all sounds so interesting and I would like to give it a go. I've been contemplating this for years but have been too busy to do anything about it. What with five, FIVE! kids...
Well, there are many, many different kinds of witches-enough to fit all sorts of different lifestyles. Be carefull with books, though, there are a lot of crappy ones out there. I can recommend from the tradition of witchcraft I practice two good ones though: Starhawk's "Spiral Dance" -a classic- and "Evolutionary Witchcraft" by T. Thorn Coyle. And if you do happen to like those, I know there is a big reclaiming community in the Texas area... even with some kid friendly events I think. Join some yahoo groups, visit local bookshops, ask alot of questions. You may not find exactly what you are looking for (and B is right, whoever does?) but it might make an interesting journey! Good Luck.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:17 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Quote:
Is it part of the big economic boom in the 90's that caused this souless sport of building big motorways?
In a word, yes, it is due to the big economic boom.

Quote:
I mean, last time I was over there, everyone drove tiny cars and I was much impressed. You see, I am used to driving in Washington DC where a family of 2 looks for a parking space for their Humvee and bitches about it. And then bitches about the price of gas. Consume, consume, consume. I hope Ireland has not been infected. [/B]
To be honest we probably drove tiny cars back then because we couldn't afford anything better, not because we were raving environmentalists. "Consume, consume, consume"- Modern Ireland in a nutshell!

How is the fight going to save Tara Hill? [/QUOTE]

At the moment, not well. The government seems to be a tool of the road lobby. I have no problem with building motorways in itself provided equivalent sums of money were invested in rail transport which is not the case at present.

However my personal opinion is that this road ultimately will not be completed and will become bogged down in legal challenges - but not before millions of taxpayers money in invested in this ill conceived project.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:32 AM   #36
The Fly

Yuck. Good about the road never making it, but sorry to hear about the millions. Currently my tax money is funding wholesale slaughter of people I have never met in countries I have never been too, so maybe we should all just stop paying taxes and goverments could not afford the rape and pillage.
I know there is a site devoted to action involved in saving Tara, I am going to have to google it to find again, but will throw some money their way when I do. Since I am visiting the country in June I will also make it known that tourist do not come to Ireland to see motorways. I have enough of them here. May the Goddess Tara prevail!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Quote:

Since I am visiting the country in June I will also make it known that tourist do not come to Ireland to see motorways. I have enough of them here.
Good for you, this is exactly the kind of effort that hopefully will change minds.

Just one other point. I don't claim to be a transport expert but I have read up on both sides of the debate and I am absolutely convinced that this motorway will not even do what it is supposed to - i.e. reduce traffic congestion. Reconstructing a rail link on the other hand can be done for less money, would not be as detrimental to the environment and would actually do something to solve the congestion problem!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:07 AM   #38
The Fly

Okay , the main site seems to be:
http://www.taraskryne.org/index.html
Just incase any one is interested... there is a petition you can sign there. And a very good picture of tara vs. the motorway next to stonehedge. Yuck indeed.
Thank you for the education, financeguy!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

I bookmarked the site.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:46 PM
How did you get into Witchcraft? By the way, Stonehenge is incredible.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #41
The Fly

You know, i could tell you certain books, or people , or teachers that I met early on in life, but I do not think that that would answer how I became a witch. I just always was one and then later found a name and a practice to put behind it. I really believe I was called to serve the Goddess in this life, in her many forms (male, female, and in between). I also believe at the heart of things that "all gods are one God" -so I honor whatever spiritual path a person has choosen and do not think one is better than another. Just a better fit individually. I don't have to tell this crowd that a wise man once said "We're one, but we're not the same..."!
Old 04-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

As a Christian — and no, I'm not going to Bible thump you — I follow Christ's teaching that he said he is the only way to God. What does that mean to those who are witches? Does it seem close-minded? What do you think of Christianity in general?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:00 PM   #43
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Interesting thread, interesting questions: I practice "paganism" in that I honor the earth and its creatures, see God/dess manifest in all things, and practice the rituals on the 8 holy days in the wheel of the year--but--and this is a big but for some--I believe in Jesus Christ (and Lao Tsu, and Buddha, and Rumi, and so much more).
As a fact, it's U2 spirituality that drew me to them in 1983/4 and drew me back to them in 2004. But as i understand the Jesus of the gospels, he didn't promote Christianity.
I personally think there are "paul christians" who are more interested in his letters and are legalistic and anti-woman and anti-sex and like the old testament way too much.
As our Bono says, "Grace trumps Karma," and as I read it the implication of forgiveness and unconditional love is, well, unconditional.
"Blessings not just for the ones who kneel" is quote from the current album and may be good for this discussion. My interpretation of sacred is a vast energy and benevolent force we call God/dess. This unsayable thing is so good that it is more than goodness.
It so far exceeds our puny and partisan concepts of it that God/dess surpasses religions, all of them. God/dess is greater than even the bible or Starhawk's amazing books or the best William Blake poetry or the best gospel preaching coming from a black urban church . . .

love,
Anu
Old 04-07-2005, 07:28 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Spells are specific, get you what you want. Rituals can sometimes encompass spells depending upon the intent of the ritual. However, sometimes rituals can serve other purposes or many purposes- communing with the Gods/Goddess and ancestors and fey, celebration, thanks, or a good old fashioned party of sorts. It's all about the intention. The best part about rituals? No sin, no sermon, no guilt, no barganing for a little something good. If you want something, make it happen, all things are possible.
And by the way, this is just my opinion. Witches have a variety and often times contradictory number of views on the subject.

Thanks for your response. I'm still kinda confused bout spells. Could you tell me about some you have done yourself?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Quote:
I am not a necromancer, although I do talk to the dead.
Do they talk back?