Ask a Witch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to know more about Paganism and the Wiccan religion. It all sounds so interesting and I would like to give it a go. I've been contemplating this for years but have been too busy to do anything about it. What with five, FIVE! kids...

Tinybubbles said:
You know, great grandma wants her irish whiskey on the altar, others are more happy with sauerbrauten!!!

exactly :) also what you said about prince. he has that playful attitude, one wonders what is going on at paisley park.

have fun with edge in ireland! :D

financeguy said:

There is currently a big debate in Ireland over whether a motorway should be built close to Tara Hill in Co Meath (not that far from Newgrange) which is also a significant site for pagans.

Yes, I am aware of that debate. When I heard about it (through some Irish reclaiming witches on the net) it made me sick. Is it part of the big economic boom in the 90's that caused this souless sport of building big motorways?
I mean, last time I was over there, everyone drove tiny cars and I was much impressed. You see, I am used to driving in Washington DC where a family of 2 looks for a parking space for their Humvee and bitches about it. And then bitches about the price of gas. Consume, consume, consume. I hope Ireland has not been infected.
How is the fight going to save Tara Hill? Maybe we should get Bono on more local matters, I am sure saving Ireland would be child's play compared to Africa!!

RosieHS said:
I would like to know more about Paganism and the Wiccan religion. It all sounds so interesting and I would like to give it a go. I've been contemplating this for years but have been too busy to do anything about it. What with five, FIVE! kids...
Well, there are many, many different kinds of witches-enough to fit all sorts of different lifestyles. Be carefull with books, though, there are a lot of crappy ones out there. I can recommend from the tradition of witchcraft I practice two good ones though: Starhawk's "Spiral Dance" -a classic- and "Evolutionary Witchcraft" by T. Thorn Coyle. And if you do happen to like those, I know there is a big reclaiming community in the Texas area... even with some kid friendly events I think. Join some yahoo groups, visit local bookshops, ask alot of questions. You may not find exactly what you are looking for (and B is right, whoever does?) but it might make an interesting journey! Good Luck.

Tinybubbles said:
Is it part of the big economic boom in the 90's that caused this souless sport of building big motorways?

In a word, yes, it is due to the big economic boom.

I mean, last time I was over there, everyone drove tiny cars and I was much impressed. You see, I am used to driving in Washington DC where a family of 2 looks for a parking space for their Humvee and bitches about it. And then bitches about the price of gas. Consume, consume, consume. I hope Ireland has not been infected. [/B]

To be honest we probably drove tiny cars back then because we couldn't afford anything better, not because we were raving environmentalists. "Consume, consume, consume"- Modern Ireland in a nutshell!

How is the fight going to save Tara Hill? [/QUOTE]

At the moment, not well. The government seems to be a tool of the road lobby. I have no problem with building motorways in itself provided equivalent sums of money were invested in rail transport which is not the case at present.

However my personal opinion is that this road ultimately will not be completed and will become bogged down in legal challenges - but not before millions of taxpayers money in invested in this ill conceived project.

Yuck. Good about the road never making it, but sorry to hear about the millions. Currently my tax money is funding wholesale slaughter of people I have never met in countries I have never been too, so maybe we should all just stop paying taxes and goverments could not afford the rape and pillage. :(
I know there is a site devoted to action involved in saving Tara, I am going to have to google it to find again, but will throw some money their way when I do. Since I am visiting the country in June I will also make it known that tourist do not come to Ireland to see motorways. I have enough of them here. May the Goddess Tara prevail!!!

Last edited:
Tinybubbles said:

Since I am visiting the country in June I will also make it known that tourist do not come to Ireland to see motorways. I have enough of them here.

Good for you, this is exactly the kind of effort that hopefully will change minds. :up:

Just one other point. I don't claim to be a transport expert but I have read up on both sides of the debate and I am absolutely convinced that this motorway will not even do what it is supposed to - i.e. reduce traffic congestion. Reconstructing a rail link on the other hand can be done for less money, would not be as detrimental to the environment and would actually do something to solve the congestion problem!

You know, i could tell you certain books, or people , or teachers that I met early on in life, but I do not think that that would answer how I became a witch. I just always was one and then later found a name and a practice to put behind it. I really believe I was called to serve the Goddess in this life, in her many forms (male, female, and in between). I also believe at the heart of things that "all gods are one God" -so I honor whatever spiritual path a person has choosen and do not think one is better than another. Just a better fit individually. I don't have to tell this crowd that a wise man once said "We're one, but we're not the same..."!:heart:

Last edited:
As a Christian — and no, I'm not going to Bible thump you — I follow Christ's teaching that he said he is the only way to God. What does that mean to those who are witches? Does it seem close-minded? What do you think of Christianity in general?

Interesting thread, interesting questions: I practice "paganism" in that I honor the earth and its creatures, see God/dess manifest in all things, and practice the rituals on the 8 holy days in the wheel of the year--but--and this is a big but for some--I believe in Jesus Christ (and Lao Tsu, and Buddha, and Rumi, and so much more).
As a fact, it's U2 spirituality that drew me to them in 1983/4 and drew me back to them in 2004. But as i understand the Jesus of the gospels, he didn't promote Christianity.
I personally think there are "paul christians" who are more interested in his letters and are legalistic and anti-woman and anti-sex and like the old testament way too much.
As our Bono says, "Grace trumps Karma," and as I read it the implication of forgiveness and unconditional love is, well, unconditional.
"Blessings not just for the ones who kneel" is quote from the current album and may be good for this discussion. My interpretation of sacred is a vast energy and benevolent force we call God/dess. This unsayable thing is so good that it is more than goodness.
It so far exceeds our puny and partisan concepts of it that God/dess surpasses religions, all of them. God/dess is greater than even the bible or Starhawk's amazing books or the best William Blake poetry or the best gospel preaching coming from a black urban church . . .

love,
Anu

Tinybubbles said:

Spells are specific, get you what you want. Rituals can sometimes encompass spells depending upon the intent of the ritual. However, sometimes rituals can serve other purposes or many purposes- communing with the Gods/Goddess and ancestors and fey, celebration, thanks, or a good old fashioned party of sorts. It's all about the intention. The best part about rituals? No sin, no sermon, no guilt, no barganing for a little something good. If you want something, make it happen, all things are possible.
And by the way, this is just my opinion. Witches have a variety and often times contradictory number of views on the subject.

Thanks for your response. :) I'm still kinda confused bout spells. Could you tell me about some you have done yourself?

Anu said:
It so far exceeds our puny and partisan concepts of it that God/dess surpasses religions, all of them. God/dess is greater than even the bible or Starhawk's amazing books or the best William Blake poetry or the best gospel preaching coming from a black urban church . . .

love,
Anu
You are too awesome, Anu. Thanks for that...
I can only speak from my expiriences: I have been to catholic services, celtic rituals, tribal gatherings, jewish shabbats, and gospel tents and it really isn't about semantics. The God/dess is present or s/he is not. Oh, and I have also been in the elevation heart :) where at least during streets on any given night s/he is most certainly in the house....
I know some christians believe that you must believe in Jesus and no other gods to get into heaven. That is fine with me, as long as no one is pushing me to believe the same. You see, I am not planning on going to heaven or hell (my religion has no concepts) so it doesn't really matter. Hey, I hope it's a great place when you get there, just not my cup of tea!
My concern lies in the here and now. How can we work for peace on this earth? How can we get compassion and healing for this world right now? For everyone, whether they believe in any God or not. And I do not know the answer to that, but I do know that asking the questions are important, and doing the work is too.
Thanks for the disscussion, and Blessed Be-
Jennifer

starsgoblue said:

I'm still kinda confused bout spells. Could you tell me about some you have done yourself?

I will try my best. Maybe Anu can give her two cents as well...
The thing is, most times, the definitions are much more fluid than this which is what I was getting at in my first post about spells/rituals. I suppose the easiest example would be prayer because it fits in with many religious systems. You begin to pray. You might be praying to talk to God, tell him or her how your day was, thanks for the food you ate,or you might be praying for healing of yourself or others, you might want a new car or a better paying job and ask God for help with that. Which part is a spell? I would define it as anytime you send energy out to the divine to recieve a blessing. So most of the prayer example would fit, right? But when you are praying, it does not seem as narrowly defined as all that. So the prayer would be the ritual.
A spell has to have an intention (what you want), and an amount of energy given to it. This energy can come from you or another God or be a colabrative project! Witches plan spells by times of planets, seasons, the moon and the sun to acheive different energies more conducive to the specific spell, or curse as the case may be.... Ahh, which opens up another can of worms althogether.

I hope this helps, sorry for the rambling-Jennifer

Macfistowannabe said:
Do they talk back?
Sure do! So, by the way, do the Gods and Goddess and fey ones of witchcraft.
And no, I am not crazy or wearing a tinfoil hat to keep the "aliens" out! This is just something that is outside of most modern european cultures and thus considered crazy. Look outside of that culture and you will see many examples of humans communing with the dead and the spirits as part of thier daily life. Go into any chinese food restaraunt and you will see a glass of water and a plate of food for them.
Our ancestors want to be remembered. Our ancestors want to help us in our lives. After all, they are the reason we are here today and it is for us that they often struggled through hardships- so that we could have a better life. Why would'nt they want to say hello?
Peace-Jennifer

Tinybubbles said:
You see, I am not planning on going to heaven or hell (my religion has no concepts) so it doesn't really matter. Hey, I hope it's a great place when you get there, just not my cup of tea!

Tinnybubbles, I think it's great and I commend you for your dedication in bringing peace to the here and now. We need more people like you! My reason for bringing up that Christ's teaching about being the only way kind of ties into your point that you made that I posted above. The question we all really have to ask ourselves is this: If Christ is the only way like he said he is, then why try to take any other way? I know it sounds close minded to people to think there's only one way, but if God sent his son as a sacrifice for us to be able to get into heaven, of course he would make it the only way. You know? I would never give one of my sons up for the sins of humanity and then say "or you can go whatever way you want." You see what I'm saying?

I'm not saying this to attack you or whatever. There are some interesting, and I would say good things about your religion (You won't hear that coming from many Christians, now will you!) I actually dated a girl in college for a little while who's mother was a Wiccan witch. I found it very interesting.

I guess I would also say, although perception exists, when it comes to truth, especially spiritual truths, do you really believe it's all relative? Is truth more of a fashion thing, or something solid for everyone to hold on to?
The concept of heaven and hell might not be your cup of tea, but what if it's not up to you to decide what happens after you die?

I'm just throwing this out for discussion. Thanks for your reply and, Anu, thanks for yours.

Anu said:

As a fact, it's U2 spirituality that drew me to them in 1983/4 and drew me back to them in 2004. But as i understand the Jesus of the gospels, he didn't promote Christianity.

Christ said that he is the only way to the Father. I'd call that "promotion".

He said "No one comes to the Father but by me" and "unless a man be born again, he can not enter the kingdom of heaven".

There are many other quotes by Christ in which he says he is The Way. Christ was very exclusionary.

Anu said:
I personally think there are "paul christians" who are more interested in his letters and are legalistic and anti-woman and anti-sex and like the old testament way too much.

Christ himself met Paul on the Damascus road and called him into service. There are no "Paul Christians" or "Peter Christians", etc. There are just "Christians".

Paul's teachings are the least legalistic writings of any writer in Bible. If you think Paul is legalistic, you should read Galatians, Ephesians, etc., especially Romans. No man taught Grace more effectively than Paul.

Anu said:
My interpretation of sacred is a vast energy and benevolent force we call God/dess. This unsayable thing is so good that it is more than goodness.
It so far exceeds our puny and partisan concepts of it that God/dess surpasses religions, all of them. God/dess is greater than even the bible

You are certainly entitled to your beliefs, but just know that if you're trying to lump Christianity in with other religions, it just won't work, simply by virtue of the fact that Christ himself made claims to being the only way to God.

coemgen said:

I'm not saying this to attack you or whatever. There are some interesting, and I would say good things about your religion (You won't hear that coming from many Christians, now will you!) I actually dated a girl in college for a little while who's mother was a Wiccan witch. I found it very interesting.

You dress your posts up with sweet words and politeness but really you're just saying your religion knows best and everyone else had better accept it. The witch burnings of the 18th century start to make sense, pity some people haven't learnt anything in 300 years.

financeguy said:

You dress your posts up with sweet words and politeness but really you're just saying your religion knows best and everyone else had better accept it. The witch burnings of the 18th century start to make sense, pity some people haven't learnt anything in 300 years.

Of course we Christians believe that Christ is the only way. If we didn't, we couldn't actually call ourselves followers of Christ, because Christ himself said that he is the only way to God.

And really, to bring up the "witch burnings" is utterly ridiculous. Where did that come from, anyway, and what does it ha to do with anything?

financeguy said:
Moderator!!

Why are you calling for the Moderator? Isn't this forum supposed to be for discussion of ideas?

Or perhaps you think it's supposed to be for "discussion of all ideas except for religions that claim to be the only way to God".

Does the exclusionary nature of Christianity offend you?

Last edited:
Um, how and why has this thread turned into discussion of Christian beliefs? Ugh...this is why I sometimes don't like to call myself a Christian, I don't see how I can possibly claim completley understand the nature of God or how anyone else could--that's why I'm interested in 'spirituality' and not 'religion' but I digress....

TinyBubbles, thanks for your reply. So spells (and forgive me if I sound ignorant or rude, cause I just truly don't know) aren't that stereotype of mixing potions and whatnot or is that only in certain circumstances? :huh:

starsgoblue said:
Um, how and why has this thread turned into discussion of Christian beliefs? Ugh...this is why I sometimes don't like to call myself a Christian, I don't see how I can possibly claim completley understand the nature of God or how anyone else could--that's why I'm interested in 'spirituality' and not 'religion' but I digress....

The person who started the thread brought up Christianity first, saying

"I get along with beliefs and non-beliefs of all kinds, just as long as your not a bible thumper!!!"

So, the first "intolerant" statement came from the thread starter herself.

I only got interested in the conversation when someone else said that Christ "didn't promote Christianity" and tried to draw a distinction between the teachings of Christ and the teachings of Paul.

If people are allowed to state their opinions about Christianity in a thread about witches, shouldn't I be allowed to defend Christianity in the same thread?

Last edited:
'Ask The...' threads have maintained a pretty great record at not being all that controversial and peaceful, we would all appreciate it if the same would apply here.

Defending what Christianity means to the individuals here is fine, and it would perhaps best serve the thread if people didn't go for the jugular about it. But also, lets not derail the thread too much. It is entitled 'Ask the Witch', after all.

Ant.

80sU2isBest said:

And really, to bring up the "witch burnings" is utterly ridiculous. Where did that come from, anyway, and what does it ha to do with anything?

Has a lot to do with it, in my view. In you proclaim a religion as fundamentally superior, what do you think that can lead to?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. As no religion as provided such evidence, how can it be claimed that Christianity (or any other religion) holds the only path to God? In my view, such a claim is over the top.

As regards your point about there being only one Christianity, why is it there are so many different churches with different ideas/dogmas within Christianity?

Last edited:
I think what pax is trying to get at is that this is "ask the witch" as opposed to a discussion of Christian beliefs. Yes, I saw the "bible thumper" thing in the opener. I happen to be a Catholic Christian myself but I'm not discussing any of my Catholic views here. That's for another thread. That's the way I interpret this, anyway. If we're not careful this thread could get closed. I'd rather that didn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom