Ask a Childfree Chick - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Ask a Childfree Chick

We have a busy mom of 5 and a stay at home mom. Now ask the gal who's chosen not to have kids some questions.

Old 03-26-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:15 AM
What age are you? Are you married/ in a long term relationship? If not, would you change your mind if you met the perfect partner?

Old 03-26-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Refugee

I'm 38 and currently single. Even if I met the perfect partner, I wouldn't want to have kids. In fact, the perfect partner would also have to be childfree.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:15 AM
do you keep pets instead?
Old 03-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:15 AM
So...how do you feel that you are refusing to "fulfill your destiny??"

Old 03-26-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
Acrobat

I have also chosen not to have children and I have been marrried for almost 12 years. Do you find that some people seem to get a confused look on their face when you tell them you don't want children? I get this reaction all the time. Its as if they think I am weird or have some medical problem.
I often wonder why some people seem to think that everyone should want to have children? So basically, I am wondering if you get the same reaction and how do deal with it without being rude?
Old 03-26-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Hi

when did you choose not to have children?... i'm asking you this cuz I'm 22 and I don't wanna have children "never". is not that i don't like them ( I wouldn't be a children illustrator then )...

some people tell me that I'm too young to take that kind of decisions, but I feel pretty sure about my choice.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:46 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I also don't want to have kids...I want to focus on a career, and if i were to have kids i'd want to focus on them, which takes away from the career. People tell me that I'm selfish for feeling this way. Do you ever get anything like that? Do people look down on you for not starting a family?
Old 03-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 10:15 PM
Are you religious?

Do any songs on the new U2 album 'speak to you'? (Heck, we're on a U2 board here)
Old 03-26-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I also don't want to have kids...I want to focus on a career, and if i were to have kids i'd want to focus on them, which takes away from the career. People tell me that I'm selfish for feeling this way. Do you ever get anything like that? Do people look down on you for not starting a family?
Selfish? Why? That's smart. I have a very hard time focusing on both. Work can be draining and kids deserve energy.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:31 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

i don't know why some people consider it selfish but they do.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:15 AM
I don't see why it's selfish, it's a choice. I don't want children now, it's not something that really crosses my mind. My Mum said she always felt like this until she met my Dad and when they got married she said she really wanted to start a family, due to health reasons she couldn't have anymore after my sister was born and she says it was a big regret that she couldn't have another child. She even looked into fostering but thought it would be too difficult. My aunt can't have children and when I look at her and her husband I feel quite sorry for them, they really wanted children and she spends all her time decorating her house and I think that's pretty unfulfilling. I think that in the future, if I meet the right partner, having a family is something I'd like to do.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:20 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:15 AM
nice to see i'm not alone. i'm 29, single, and have never wanted children. the older i get, the more sure of that i am. it's not that i hate kids or anything, i just don't see myself taking on that role.

the selfish comments make me angry to no end. society still holds this notion that motherhood is the ultimate experience, and it's somehow 'unnatural' not to want children. i have all the respect in the world for mothers--it's the hardest job on earth, and you can't afford to fail. me, i have too many conflicting ambitions--my career goals, my desire to travel the four corners of the earth... i'm lucky to live in a place and time that allows me the choice not to have children, and for that i am eternally grateful.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:09 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

38 and chick
Old 03-28-2005, 06:39 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know what that has to do w/ anything..

Does it drive you crazy when people w/ strollers think they have the right of way and practically mow you down? it drives me crazy

It is all about choice-some people get really sanctimonious about having kids. Mostly they do this while their kids run wild and they have no control over them