Ashcroft bans DOJ gay pride event - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2003, 07:58 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

I disagree. Do you parents agree with everything you do? Do your friends support every decision you make? I would find it boring if I didn't have someone saying to me "well, why did you do that?" or just be my yes men. You can still support a person even if you don't support their romantic life. How many of us have had boyfriends/girlfriends are parents disapproved of? doens't mean they don't love us. Being gay is one of many things in a person's life. You can disagree with the fact that someone is gay but still love them as a person.
Being gay isn't something that you do. It's something you are. You can't love someone 'except for that gay part.' There is no gay part. Being gay isn't just about one's romantic life. Again, if I were gay and someone didn't 'approve' then they wouldn't approve of me as a human being, being born exactly the way I am and being unable to change the essence of who I am. And that is not acceptable. It's bad enough being around people who are not supportive of your decisions, let alone the things you have no choice about.

Old 06-10-2003, 10:12 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:14 AM
Quote:
Gov't Changes Mind on Gay Employee Event

By CURT ANDERSON
The Associated Press
Tuesday, June 10, 2003; 7:20 PM

WASHINGTON - Attorney General John Ashcroft will allow gay and lesbian Justice Department employees to hold an annual gathering at agency headquarters if they foot the bill, a move critics said Tuesday was a clumsy reversal of a previous decision.

Officials with the group DOJ Pride said last week that they were told the awards ceremony could not be held in the agency's Great Hall next Wednesday.

But agency spokesman Mark Corallo said the intention was not to block the group from holding the event, only to make it clear it would not be officially sponsored by the department. That means the group's members must pay any costs themselves.

"They will not be officially sponsored this year, just like every other group," Corallo said. "They took that to mean they couldn't have the event."

Allison Nichol, vice president of DOJ Pride, disputed that. She said the organization was told clearly last week they could not hold the event in the Great Hall, the Justice Department courtyard or a conference room - even if they paid for it.

Still, Nichol said the group would welcome the change as a "partial reversal" of the previous ban while hoping that "they would be willing to sponsor this event." She also said other employee groups have in the past had their events sponsored.

Reports of the denial prompted outrage among gay and lesbian groups and from Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., who wrote an angry letter to Ashcroft questioning the Justice Department's commitment to fairness.

Lautenberg issued a statement Tuesday calling the new policy "the politics of a cover-up" and said he would urge hearings by the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee into possible violations of civil rights stemming from the incident.

Ashcroft had promised during his Senate confirmation hearings in 2001 that he would continue to allow DOJ Pride to hold its event.

David Smith, spokesman for Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights group in Washington, also praised the department for reversing what he called its previous "outright denial" of the event. But he said withdrawal of department sponsorship still represents a step backward.

"Sponsorship sends an important message to the employee group: that their work is valued," Smith said.

Old 06-11-2003, 01:18 AM   #78
The Fly

Local Time: 07:14 PM
i am very educated on the subject but aids spreads through any type of protection. Wearing a condom is not 100% safe against fighting std's. Aids was primarily spread through gay men 25 years of past but now is spreading through everyone. Please allow me to restate my same oppinion as before, i should not be looked at as a biggot for thinking homosexuallity is wrong. That is what i think and that is not being offensive. I have no problem with homosexualls as a person but i DO NOT approve of there behaviour.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:28 AM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by megadrum2002
i am very educated on the subject but aids spreads through any type of protection. Wearing a condom is not 100% safe against fighting std's. Aids was primarily spread through gay men 25 years of past but now is spreading through everyone. Please allow me to restate my same oppinion as before, i should not be looked at as a biggot for thinking homosexuallity is wrong. That is what i think and that is not being offensive. I have no problem with homosexualls as a person but i DO NOT approve of there behaviour.
Damn...then if you were so "educated," then you'd realize that this statement about gay men and AIDS only applies to the U.S., and not the rest of the world, where it has been primarily transmitted through heterosexuals. Then you should also know that heterosexual black women are the fastest growing segment of AIDS infection today in the U.S.

But I don't know why you'd bring up AIDS, except to imply that homosexuals have brought some "gay plague" onto the rest of the world. But, I assure you, anyone who lives in a non-stop party with lots of promiscuous sex and drug use is statistically at higher risk for AIDS infection, regardless of sexuality.

I have no problem with ignorant people as a person, but I DO NOT approve of their behavior.

Melon
Old 06-11-2003, 06:35 AM   #80
ONE
love, blood, life

1 vote to close this thread.

Since it appears that Asscroft has backpedaled ever so slightly (and we've ignored the fact entirely that, during his Senate confirmation hearing, that he *promised* he wouldn't discriminate by sexual orientation and to allow DOJ Pride to continue under his reign [but I guess that lies by Democrats who get blow jobs are more important lies]).

Now it just appears that this thread has become some not-so-touchy-feely thread where heterosexuals can get on their pulpit and start pontificating on their disapproval of homosexuals. Well, la-de-da. Who asked you?

There are too many reasons why I hate these threads.

Melon
Old 06-11-2003, 07:35 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Being gay isn't something that you do. It's something you are. You can't love someone 'except for that gay part.' There is no gay part. Being gay isn't just about one's romantic life. Again, if I were gay and someone didn't 'approve' then they wouldn't approve of me as a human being, being born exactly the way I am and being unable to change the essence of who I am. And that is not acceptable. It's bad enough being around people who are not supportive of your decisions, let alone the things you have no choice about.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Damn...then if you were so "educated," then you'd realize that this statement about gay men and AIDS only applies to the U.S., and not the rest of the world, where it has been primarily transmitted through heterosexuals. Then you should also know that heterosexual black women are the fastest growing segment of AIDS infection today in the U.S.

But I don't know why you'd bring up AIDS, except to imply that homosexuals have brought some "gay plague" onto the rest of the world. But, I assure you, anyone who lives in a non-stop party with lots of promiscuous sex and drug use is statistically at higher risk for AIDS infection, regardless of sexuality.

I have no problem with ignorant people as a person, but I DO NOT approve of their behavior.

Melon
Exactly.

Angela
Old 06-11-2003, 08:29 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I know I'm late to this party, but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I usually stay away from these threads, but I did see some things I didn't agree with, so I'll mak my point.

Melon knows how I feel about homosexuality. He knows I think it's wrong. But Melon also knows (as much as a person can know from internet forum activity) that I don't condemn people for it or be mean to homosexuals. Admittedly, I don't know much about homosexuality and genes, or disposition toward homosexuality at birth or anything like that, so I don't really make judgment toward someone with homosexual feelings. However, I do believe that homosexual sexual activity is wrong.

That being said, I think that it is very possible to disapprove of someone's behavior, but still show love for them. When the woman caught in adultery was brought to Jesus, he had great love and compassion for her, and his words freed her from a death sentence. He told her "neither do I judge thee". However, he didn't leave it at that. With his acceptance of her was a loving condemnation of her sin. He said "Neither do I judge thee. Go and sin no more."
Old 06-11-2003, 11:23 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Melon
Old 06-11-2003, 12:18 PM   #84
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:14 AM
These threads go nowhere.