Ashcroft bans DOJ gay pride event - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2003, 08:15 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
“Homosexuality is immoral and dangerous behavior and taxpayers should not be forced to subsidize its promotion,” said Rios. “I am so grateful that Attorney General Ashcroft has taken a courageous step to stand against the pressure of the politically correct elite. This is a welcome departure from the Clinton years.”
I'm sure they'll happily take government money in the form of faith-based charities.

I don't know why fanatical Christian groups even get media time like this. This furthers my example of the media purposely generating anger and fearmongering.

I should create a PAC that is inflammatory, so I can get media attention.

Melon

Old 06-09-2003, 08:24 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
This furthers my example of the media purposely generating anger and fearmongering.

I should create a PAC that is inflammatory, so I can get media attention.

Sadly, this is how too many groups get coverage and how too many media outlets get ratings.

Old 06-09-2003, 08:26 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Call me crazy, but I don't think the news should be about ratings. But I guess everything is a commodity these days. "Vive la capitalisme!"

CBC and BBC News are a welcome change from U.S. news, although I will freely admit that none are perfect.

Melon
Old 06-09-2003, 08:48 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Quote:

In an ideal world, all groups would be treated equally. So that means that everyday should be Gay / Black / Woman / Etc. Pride Day, just as everyday is Straight White Male Pride Day. But the powers that be don't like that; inequality is what drives humanity.

Melon
Absolutely. Throw some economic factors in, and it gets even more unequal.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:02 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

I would like to see a campaign in 2004 something like

"An America for ALL Americans"

Throw the extremists out.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:30 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

At the 2004 GOP convention in NYC

Ashcroft and his prayer warriors will have an opportunity to see America's best theatre.

Quote:
2003 Tonys: As gay as it gets

The 57th Tony Awards show was a big night for gays on Broadway, with top honors going to gay-themed productions and artists relishing the openness that has marked this theatrical season. The Best Play award went to Take Me Out, a drama about a star baseball player revealing that he is gay, and Best Musical honors went to Hairspray, whose leading actor, Harvey Fierstein, plays the gravel-voiced mother of the heroine in drag.

Many of the Tony winners rode a wave of awards-night euphoria Sunday to unabashedly address their gayness or to comment on the phenomenon to the Radio City Music Hall crowd. The issue was raised early in the broadcast, hosted by X-Men star Hugh Jackman, when Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, partners in both songwriting and romance, stepped up to receive the Tony for best original score for Hairspray. "We're not allowed to get married, but I want to declare I love you and I'd like to live with you the rest of my life," said Shaiman, who then kissed Wittman. Joe Mantello, who won the Tony for his direction of Take Me Out, said, "I think I just saw two guys kiss on CBS, which is cool." Denis O'Hare, honored as best featured actor for his comic portrayal of a gay accountant suddenly enamored of baseball in Take Me Out, said later: "It's Gay Night out there. It's amazing."

Theater has long been an accepting and nurturing environment for gays, and many in the parade of Tony winners took note. Fierstein, who became a hero among gays after writing and starring in the gay-themed play Torch Song Trilogy to earn two Tonys 20 years ago, said he felt honored to work with all the caring people in the theater world. "I want to have your babies," the Hairspray star joked in accepting his award for best lead performance in a musical.

Old 06-09-2003, 11:57 PM   #67
Neon Zebra

Quote:
But again...just because I disapprove, it doesn't automatically mean that I have contempt.
i think this sarcastic remark was directed at me...melon, honey, if you knew me personally, you would understand what i am saying. to be honest, this thread stayed on my mind all day. i am hurt by all of the accusations. whether or not you find it hard to believe, my disapproval does NOT equal contempt. not even close.

first, i called my ex-husband's best friend. a man who, ten years ago, chose to come out to me before he came out to my husband because he knew i would be honest with him. he laughed at the idea of my homophobia. my disapproval he understands, but my contempt, never. we are friends. we are family. then, i called my ex-husband. a man i was married to for eight years. my daughter's father. a man who left me for the man of his dreams. a man i will love until the end of time. the only man on this planet that i would do anything for.

both of these men know of and understand my disapproval. neither one considers me to be homophobic or ignorant. or filled with contempt. they respect my opinion and accept my love, with or without my approval, just as i respect and accept theirs.

and yours.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:50 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

I am sorry that your husband left you for somebody else.

Rejection, betrayal is painful.

Many husbands leave their wives for other women.

Many divorced people do not approve of their exs new relationship.

You have very good friends.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:44 AM   #69
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 09:32 PM
BG, I am sorry to hear about your husband, and I am glad you don't view homosexuals with contempt...but can you answer me something?

If you suposedly dissapprove of homosexuality (I still can't understand what there is to dissapprove of), why is it that in the "I tongue kissed a woman" thread, you were totally impressed with those female friends who had kissed other women, and you even went so far as to say "when someone admits to more than kissing, then I'll be impressed" and "love on every level is wonderful".

Doesn't sound much like dissapproval to me. Or is it just a double standard for women vs men?
Old 06-10-2003, 04:21 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Bono's American Wife, Pax, melon, FizzingWhizzbees, and so on...well said, all of you. .

Bonosgirl84, you asked how I know Ashcroft is homophobic.

Well, like Bono's American Wife pointed out:

"Mr. Ashcroft has admitted in the past that he DOES have a problem with homosexuality"

Angela
Old 06-10-2003, 04:46 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:32 PM
I'm sorry about your heartbreaking experience, bonosgirl.

In my family we had someone close who was gay but felt he couldn't come out in the extremely repressed community in which I grew up. So he hung himself instead. I am probably the only one who wishes he had left his family and found a man to love instead, so he could truly be himself and live his life as freely as the rest of us have done.

To 'disapprove of' to me implies more than disagreeing with; it implies passing judgment and taking a bit of a moral high ground. If I were gay and someone said they disapproved but that they loved me anyway, I would probably choose to not have them in my life, even if it was a member of my family (which it most likely would be). Because I choose to surround myself with people who support me, not disapprove of the things I cannot change about myself, such as the sexual orientation God gave me.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:51 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I am sorry that your husband left you for somebody else.

Rejection, betrayal is painful.

Many husbands leave their wives for other women.

Many divorced people do not approve of their exs new relationship.

You have very good friends.
Ditto.

Angela
Old 06-10-2003, 07:10 PM   #73
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
To 'disapprove of' to me implies more than disagreeing with; it implies passing judgment and taking a bit of a moral high ground. If I were gay and someone said they disapproved but that they loved me anyway, I would probably choose to not have them in my life, even if it was a member of my family (which it most likely would be). Because I choose to surround myself with people who support me, not disapprove of the things I cannot change about myself, such as the sexual orientation God gave me.
I disagree. Do you parents agree with everything you do? Do your friends support every decision you make? I would find it boring if I didn't have someone saying to me "well, why did you do that?" or just be my yes men. You can still support a person even if you don't support their romantic life. How many of us have had boyfriends/girlfriends are parents disapproved of? doens't mean they don't love us. Being gay is one of many things in a person's life. You can disagree with the fact that someone is gay but still love them as a person.

As for Gay Pride Day, I think its ok. It at least makes people aware of the issue and educates us all. Same with Black History Month, the Puerto Rican parade, St. Patrick's Day, etc. etc. Some people are racist so do we stop black history month? Some people look down on beer so do we stop St. Pat's Day? We need to have these things to remind us that we are all unique -- to be the same would be boring.

Oh and melon -- in response to your comments about the woman in the article: If she sounds like a bigot, so be it. Its not that more papers needed to be sold but rather, as journalists, we have a duty to show both sides of an issue regardless of our personal opinion. Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:16 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Being gay is one of many things in a person's life. You can disagree with the fact that someone is gay but still love them as a person.
Just as I can disagree with the fact that someone is black or Jewish or Muslim or Christian or female or anyone who isn't white and male...

...and still love them as a person. After all, there is so much more to someone's life than being black or Jewish or Muslim or Christian or female....

Melon
Old 06-10-2003, 07:19 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Oh and melon -- in response to your comments about the woman in the article: If she sounds like a bigot, so be it. Its not that more papers needed to be sold but rather, as journalists, we have a duty to show both sides of an issue regardless of our personal opinion. Don't shoot the messenger.
"Both sides of the issue"? Well, why doesn't journalism find the most hysterical fringe group possible? I had never heard of this group before this, and, likely, no one else did either. Does journalism give this much credence to the KKK or the Army of God when it comes to minority or women's issues?

Melon