Ashcroft bans DOJ gay pride event - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2003, 06:15 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
And straight men...well, I'm tired of how the media constantly caters to this psychologically disturbed class of people. A world of bimbo blondes, beer, and bad fathers, not to mention infidelity, poor manners, and setting a bad example for our children! If they pray hard enough, these straight men can be healed of their affliction!

But... aren't all those things "Normal"? Let's pray we raise more "straight men" in this vein. I know I as an intelligent & independent woman I support it.

(in a side note it always makes me laugh when I see posts asking if Bono is gay.. I think because he exhibits none of those stereotypical qualities people question his sexuality. interesting huh.)

Old 06-09-2003, 06:24 PM   #47
Babyface

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Everyone keeps saying how disgusted they are that Ashcroft did what he did. My question is why? Why is there a need for a gay pride, black pride, women pride day/month etc? If the goal is unity then what is the purpose.
My opinion is special interest groups such as gays/lesbians are trying to shove their agenda's down everybody elses throat. Its pure insanity.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:38 PM   #48
Babyface

Just a note--Don't give me any homophobia nonsense either.
Its a very weak argument in most instances.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:44 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UofU2
Everyone keeps saying how disgusted they are that Ashcroft did what he did. My question is why? Why is there a need for a gay pride, black pride, women pride day/month etc? If the goal is unity then what is the purpose.
My opinion is special interest groups such as gays/lesbians are trying to shove their agenda's down everybody elses throat. Its pure insanity.
"Pure insanity." I'll tell you what "pure insanity" is. Being a part of these subordinate groups in a straight white Christian male country. I'm guessing, I guess, that you're a white male, merely because you'd make an asinine comment like this, considering that, everyday, I'll pass by, seeing straight couples making PDAs everywhere. Or in the workplace, where co-workers will ask you about your spouse or boyfriend / girlfriend, when you didn't even want to bring it up. Or church, where it is little more than a bastion of heterosexism. Straight white Christian male morality is *constantly* shoved down our throats, merely because we know life no differently.

In an ideal world, all groups would be treated equally. So that means that everyday should be Gay / Black / Woman / Etc. Pride Day, just as everyday is Straight White Male Pride Day. But the powers that be don't like that; inequality is what drives humanity.

Melon
Old 06-09-2003, 06:45 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Just a note--Don't give me any homophobia nonsense either.
Its a very weak argument in most instances.
Then, by all means, don't grace us with your weak arguments.

Melon
Old 06-09-2003, 06:49 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

I agree, I think it should be left up.

This event has been held every year for the past 6 years, but the new rule requiring a presidential proclamation was added this year...Bush refused to give the proclamation. I guess "Leif Erikson day" had more significance.

I guess W does not like to sign proclamations.

But, then there is this

Quote:
(July 10, 2000) Declaring that Texas "Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, members of other faith groups, and non-believers, all of whom are entitled to equal respect, would have difficulty responding" to Governor George W. Bush's proclamation of June 10 as "Jesus Day," the American Jewish Congress today called on Bush to refrain from issuing "such sectarian pronouncements in the future."

The full text of the statement by AJCongress Executive Director Phil Baum is as follows:
here

Quote:
My opinion is special interest groups are trying to shove their agenda's down everybody elses throat. Its pure insanity.

uofu2, were you talking about W's jesus day?
Old 06-09-2003, 06:52 PM   #52
New Yorker

Quote:
Fine then. Since we're on the subject of disapproval...

Islam should be a banned religion. In fact, let's ban all of religion. I don't disapprove of religion, but when these religious folk start parading around and showing off in public, that's where I have to take a stand! Republicans...well, I disapprove of them, so let's make any Republican activity illegal. Not Republicans, mind you. God loves Republicans, but not what they do. And straight men...well, I'm tired of how the media constantly caters to this psychologically disturbed class of people. A world of bimbo blondes, beer, and bad fathers, not to mention infidelity, poor manners, and setting a bad example for our children! If they pray hard enough, these straight men can be healed of their affliction!

But again...just because I disapprove, it doesn't automatically mean that I have contempt.

Don't forget that, under all the ideology, gays and lesbians are people too.

Melon
melon -- I think there is a difference in this particular case. In the case of recognizing Gay Pride Day, if Ashcroft doesn't sign the recognition, it doesn't mean people who go to a Gay Pride Parade are breaking the law. In this case, there is a difference between making Gay Pride Day and just not recognizing it.

I think we need to redefine this thread. There is no LAW being signed, its just recognition.

That being said, the Puerto Rican Day parade was yesterday. If we can recognize a U.S. territory that doesn't pay taxes and has Spanish, not English, as its major language, why can't we recognize gays and lesbians?
Old 06-09-2003, 07:15 PM   #53
Babyface

Quote:

"Pure insanity." I'll tell you what "pure insanity" is. Being a part of these subordinate groups in a straight white Christian male country. I'm guessing, I guess, that you're a white male, merely because you'd make an asinine comment like this, considering that, everyday, I'll pass by, seeing straight couples making PDAs everywhere. Or in the workplace, where co-workers will ask you about your spouse or boyfriend / girlfriend, when you didn't even want to bring it up. Or church, where it is little more than a bastion of heterosexism. Straight white Christian male morality is *constantly* shoved down our throats, merely because we know life no differently.

In an ideal world, all groups would be treated equally. So that means that everyday should be Gay / Black / Woman / Etc. Pride Day, just as everyday is Straight White Male Pride Day. But the powers that be don't like that; inequality is what drives humanity.

Melon
If homosexuals have such "PRIDE" then why do the questions that you listed above strike such a painful chord? These questions aren't meant to shove the lifestyle of mainstream American's down peoples throats...they appear to be polite conversation starters to me.

The real issue here, and the reason that I decided to take the time to respond, is that these gay pride days/weeks/months do nothing to "enlighten" the narrow minded, asinine comment making, white Christian males that I know. In fact, they further distance these groups from us.

Old 06-09-2003, 07:18 PM   #54
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

uofu2, were you talking about W's Jesus day?

I would hardly consider Christianity as a whole a special interest group...nice try though.

---capitalized the J for you---You're welcome.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:22 PM   #55
Babyface

Quote:

Then, by all means, don't grace us with your weak arguments.

Melon

That made a lot of sense.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:31 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

That made a lot of sense.
Do tell how yours make any more sense.

Melon
Old 06-09-2003, 07:34 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
The real issue here, and the reason that I decided to take the time to respond, is that these gay pride days/weeks/months do nothing to "enlighten" the narrow minded, asinine comment making, white Christian males that I know. In fact, they further distance these groups from us.
Well, allow me to stop responding in ideologically-driven anger and ask you an earnest question. What is it about these groups that "distance" you from them? Don't be general; be specific.

In fact, I may end up agreeing with you...

Melon
Old 06-09-2003, 07:44 PM   #58
Babyface

Quote:

Well, allow me to stop responding in ideologically-driven anger and ask you an earnest question. What is it about these groups that "distance" you from them? Don't be general; be specific.

Melon
It's not the groups that put me off...it's them lobbying to have a designated day celebrating their way of life. They have every right to live how they choose, don't get me wrong. I just feel that these lifestyle celebratory events have no redeeming value. I'm sure it feels good to have a specified day that celebrates your issue, but who else pays attention to it? I wish I could find statistics relating to the subject, but I doubt the crowds at such celebrations are terribly diverse.
The point I'm trying to make is that the trouble these things stir up surely can not be worthwhile in the long-term.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Here is the official statement of the group quoted in the article. You may find their website interesting as well.

CWA Praises Ashcroft for Stopping Government Endorsement of ‘Gay Pride’ 6/6/2003

Calls for All Department Heads to Refuse Federal Support for ‘Gay Pride’ Events

Washington, D.C. – Concerned Women for America President Sandy Rios praised Attorney General John Ashcroft today for his refusal to politicize sexuality by preventing a homosexual

“pride” celebration at the Department of Justice, and urged other departments to follow suit.

“Homosexuality is immoral and dangerous behavior and taxpayers should not be forced to subsidize its promotion,” said Rios. “I am so grateful that Attorney General Ashcroft has taken a courageous step to stand against the pressure of the politically correct elite. This is a welcome departure from the Clinton years.”

The White House was quoted in The New York Times this morning that the president does not believe “in politicizing people’s sexual orientation.”

“The government, and taxpayers, should not be in the business of promoting homosexuality,” Rios said. “It’s time for all other federal agencies to stop funding or endorsing similar ‘gay pride’ events.”

Last year, Rios challenged the Attorney General’s office to reconsider the department’s official celebration of harmful and unhealthy behavior. She warned that sanctioning ‘gay pride’ events alienates the administration from its pro-family grassroots base.

“We are disappointed that other departments are not following the example of the White House. By using their government offices to support homosexual activist groups, they are promoting behavior that is dangerous to families and children,” Rios said.

CWA has learned that taxpayer funds have been allocated by the Department of Transportation to celebrate “Gay Pride Month” activities. Other government agencies are reportedly sanctioning events to be held in government buildings and lending support through offices and officials. These include the Department of Agriculture, the Environmental Protection Agency, the State Department, and the Peace Corps.
http://www.cwfa.org/main.asp
Old 06-09-2003, 08:13 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
It's not the groups that put me off...it's them lobbying to have a designated day celebrating their way of life. They have every right to live how they choose, don't get me wrong. I just feel that these lifestyle celebratory events have no redeeming value. I'm sure it feels good to have a specified day that celebrates your issue, but who else pays attention to it? I wish I could find statistics relating to the subject, but I doubt the crowds at such celebrations are terribly diverse.
The point I'm trying to make is that the trouble these things stir up surely can not be worthwhile in the long-term.
Well, I have to agree to a point. These days, however, are intended less for the general public, but for the specific groups in question. And it is puzzling. To be honest, I find little satisfaction in these celebratory events, and I think they are self-denigrating and self-defeating. I guess there's no better way to be disgusted with stereotypes thrown at you than to have a parade...of stereotypes.

It's a phenomenon I've seen played out in many "minority" groups, and it is something that I can neither accept or understand. However, when you use phrases like "pure insanity," that's where the unabated anger will come from. I look forward to the day when women and minorities of all kinds can live naturally and without discrimination. Unfortunately, when we have a media that thrives on conflict and fearmongering, I fear it may never happen.

Melon