Armed Plainclothes Security Guard Saved Lives - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:06 AM
Armed Plainclothes Security Guard Saved Lives

Unlike so many places in past killing sprees, this campus was not a gun-free zone.

This time the killer was stopped by an armed guard.

Security Guard 'Saved Over 100 Lives'

(CNSNews.com) - Many people are expressing relief that a volunteer security guard used her own gun to stop a man on a shooting spree Sunday. "She probably saved over 100 lives," the Brady Boyd, the pastor of the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, said on Monday. The female guard, a church member dressed in plain clothes, killed the gunman after he opened fire at the mega-church. Boyd said she "rushed toward the attacker and took him down in the hallway" as he entered the building. The shooting erupted around 1 p.m., at the end of a service, when 7,000 people were either inside the New Life Church or just leaving. "He was just walking and shooting," the Denver Post quoted one witness as saying. The gunman, still unidentified, shot at least eight people, killing two teenage sisters, the pastor said. The girls were 16 and 18 years old. Their father, also shot, is listed in father condition. The gunman is believed to be the same young man who shot and killed two people earlier the same day at a missionary training center in suburban Denver. In that case, the gunman opened fire, reportedly after he was refused permission to spend the night at the missionary center. The gunman was described as skinny, in his 20s, about 6 feet tall and dressed in black, police said. KUSA-TV reported that the gunman was wearing a "tactical helmet and body armor." The church's pastor said the New Life Church "prepared in advance" for a possible attack, after hearing about the shooting at the missionary training center.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:06 PM
It was a security guard.
They were prepared for it.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
It was a security guard.
They were prepared for it.

That's the point.

She was a volunteer security guard.

The gunman, I just heard on the evening news had a thousand rounds of ammo.

He killed the victims outside of the main entrance.

The guard stopped him as he entered.

She saved a lot of lives.

If she had not been there, with a firearm, it's not hard to imagine the death toll with a killer with a thousand rounds on a killing spree.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It's pretty sad that their even needs to be a security guard, let alone an armed one at a church.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:06 AM
I was thinking the same thing, but from my understanding this is one of those mega churches, some of those are basically like malls.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
The church's pastor said the New Life Church "prepared in advance" for a possible attack, after hearing about the shooting at the missionary training center.
I would interpret that as they don't normally have armed security at the church.

And no, it's not really an argument that campuses should get armed.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

And no, it's not really an argument that campuses should get armed.
Exactly. With all the tazering deaths lately think about how many more deaths would be on our hands if we gave some of these trigger happy guards guns...
Old 12-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

What about security guards on a college campus? Are they armed?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It depends on the campus. Some campuses have actual police in which they are armed. Some campuses have private security groups (like rent-a-cops), which aren't armed.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Exactly. With all the tazering deaths lately think about how many more deaths would be on our hands if we gave some of these trigger happy guards guns...

I guess you mean security guards armed with a tazer.

I don't know of a tragedy where a "trigger happy security guard"
went on a killing spree with a firearm.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

I guess you mean security guards armed with a tazer.

I don't know of a tragedy where a "trigger happy security guard"
went on a killing spree with a firearm.
Not what I said. I said we are already having issues with cops and guards with tazers, think of the problems we'll have with guns.

I'm not talking about them going on sprees, but a guard(who have little training) with a gun may reach too quickly in order to stop some minor campus happenings.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Not what I said. I said we are already having issues with cops and guards with tazers, think of the problems we'll have with guns.

I'm not talking about them going on sprees, but a guard(who have little training) with a gun may reach too quickly in order to stop some minor campus happenings.

I understand what you are saying and I see your point about proper training.

But, I think, a security guard will quickly know the difference between a "minor campus happening" and a very dangerous situation.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

I think his point is that, in a lot of cases, they don't.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
Forum Moderator

I wonder why they didn't just request a police(wo)man be on hand, since a shooting at a possibly related site had just occurred and they have so many congregants?

I don't have a problem with actual campus police having guns; as randhail noted, that's already pretty common. I think tasers are a different issue--there it seems like it may be the case that the notion of 'Here's a way to get someone unruly to cooperate without hurting them' can itself enable 'trigger-happy' tendencies that the same officer wouldn't have with a gun.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #15
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Church gunman 'kicked out of missionary school'

CNN, Dec. 10

COLORADO SPRINGS -- Matthew Murray was kicked out of a missionary training program five years ago for strange behavior, and talked about hearing voices, according to a man who served at the center with him. Murray was the gunman who killed two people at the Youth With A Mission center on Sunday and two others at a Colorado Springs megachurch later that day, police said. He was shot by a church security guard and died of his wounds.

Richard Werner, 34, said Monday he was a worker at the center in Arvada, Colorado, in 2002, the same time as Murray. He said Murray was told in December 2002 he would not be allowed to join a mission trip to Bosnia. That was five days after Murray performed a pair of dark rock songs at a concert at the mission that made fellow workers "pretty scared," according to Werner. The performance--which included a song by rock band Linkin Park and another that had been recorded by controversial rocker Marilyn Manson--followed months of strange behavior, Werner said. Werner, of Balneario Camborius, Brazil, said he had a bunk near Murray's and that Murray would roll around in bed and make noises. "He would say, 'Don't worry, I'm just talking to the voices,' " Werner said. "He'd say, 'Don't worry, Richard. You're a nice guy. The voices like you.' " Werner said he instantly suspected Murray when he heard the news of Sunday's shootings. "I turned to my wife and I said, 'I know who did it. It's Matthew,' " he said. "It was so obvious. For four months, he was sleeping right next to me. Those are the things you don't imagine, but when it happened it was so obvious." Werner said his "heart is crushed" by news of the shootings.

Peter Warren, director of Youth With A Mission, said Monday that Murray did not go on the mission he was training for in 2002 because managers thought that "issues relating to his health made it unsafe for him to do so." Another source--a longtime member of New Life church, site of the second shooting--told CNN that Murray had a falling out with Youth With A Mission after working with the organization a couple of years ago, and that he sent antagonistic and threatening correspondence afterward.

Phil Abeyta, who identified himself as Murray's uncle, read a statement from the family Monday asking for forgiveness. "Our family cannot express the magnitude of our grief for the victims and families of this tragedy," he said. "...We cannot understand why this has happened." Abeyta spoke at a news conference with spokesmen from the Youth With A Mission center.

Police said Murray, 24, of Englewood, Colorado, shot and killed two people at the Youth With A Mission center and wounded two others early Sunday. At New Life Church, some 80 miles away, Murray sprayed fire from an assault rifle and threw smoke bombs in at least two locations where large numbers of congregants were likely to be, police said. Two teenage sisters were shot in the church's parking lot and died of their wounds; three other people, including the girls' father, were wounded.
Apparently the security guard was a retired policewoman.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης