Arkansas Democratic chairman killed in shooting - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:17 AM
Arkansas Democratic chairman killed in shooting

Arkansas Democratic chairman killed in shooting - CNN.com

Another assassination by the right wing?

Oh no, I forgot, no conspiracy theorising here.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Condolences to his family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post

On a side note, I'm not sure why you feel the need for this. I've never seen any poster in here ask for conspiracy theory threads to be closed or not discussed. There have been posters that have been asked to back up what they say, and I've seen posters questioned about their sources, or where the conspiracy was; but never that they don't belong here. I'm sorry you felt the need to do yet another attack on FYM.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:17 AM
My condolences to his family and friends also.

Aww financeguy, you really do love conspiracy theories, don't you?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
On a side note, I'm not sure why you feel the need for this. I've never seen any poster in here ask for conspiracy theory threads to be closed or not discussed. There have been posters that have been asked to back up what they say, and I've seen posters questioned about their sources, or where the conspiracy was; but never that they don't belong here. I'm sorry you felt the need to do yet another attack on FYM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indra
Aww financeguy, you really do love conspiracy theories, don't you?
It seems that when a political figure is assassinated in the US, it is almost always a Democrat rather than a Republican.

There is a history since the 1960's of Democrat politicans being assassinated. I am not necessarily saying all these assassinations are connected, but don't you find it a trifle odd that much more Democrats than Republicans are assassinated?

Don't you think it might be more than a co-incidence? Don't you at least see the need to ask questions why this might be? Sure as left wing people YOURSELVES you should be concerned about this?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:17 AM
Quote:
It seems that when a political figure is assassinated in the US, it is almost always a Democrat rather than a Republican.

There is a history since the 1960's of Democrat politicans being assassinated. I am not necessarily saying all these assassinations are connected, but don't you find it a trifle odd that much more Democrats than Republicans are assassinated?

Don't you think it might be more than a co-incidence? Don't you at least see the need to ask questions why this might be? Sure as left wing people YOURSELVES you should be concerned about this?
Would you have asked this same question about Republicans being killed if you lived in the late 1800s, a time which saw three Republican presidents assassinated? Do you think they were somehow connected?

I'm sure over the course of America's history, the assassinations of people from either political party are roughly even. I wouldn't make too much of this.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Who are the majority of gun owners? Just sayin
Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:17 AM
Although the left(?) has probably a long string of attempted, but failed assassinations--Ford, Wallace, Reagan. The left is inept.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I think it may have to do more with fundamental differences in how each side thinks. For one, Republicans are more likely to own guns and support war it seems, so it stands to reason that a statistically greater minority subset of Republicans would be more likely to believe that conflict can be solved by guns or murder.

Here's an unrelated editorial on the National Review online:

Thomas Sowell on National Review Online

And, by the end, not only do we have the idea that a "military coup" might be acceptable to save America from teh libruls, but we have a concluding quote of, "We dare not tempt them with weakness."

I think it is quite conceivable that there are going to be weak-minded conservatives who are actually going to buy this kind of treasonous punditry, but also decide that they have to take matters into their own hands.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonosSaint View Post
Although the left(?) has probably a long string of attempted, but failed assassinations--Ford, Wallace, Reagan. The left is inept.
The attempt on Ford was by Sqeaky Fromme, one of the Manson gang.

Wallace I have no idea.

Reagan, well, Bush probably had something to do with it given the fact that the Hinkley family was good friends with George H.W. Bush and Barbara...coincedence??? Maybe, but I think not.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Evidence?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Evidence?
That pretty much sums up my opinion of conspiracy theories.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

While scepticism regarding conspiracy theory is certainly appropriate, a default reaction of disregarding conspiracy theories is equally as wrongheaded as accepting them without evidence, in my view.

For three decades of the Troubles in Northern Ireland, journalists, writers or ordinary citizens who raised questions about suspicious events and possible links between state security forces and terrorists were damned by official sources and the mainstream media as conspiracy theorists, or even dangerous subversives.

Well, now that the Troubles are over, it's all come full circle on that one, because we have had official government reports saying, that, yes, rogue elements of the security forces DID collude with loyalist terrorists to murder, with impunity, civilians:

RTÉ News: O'Loan report confirms collusion

When validating the truth or otherwise of any conspiracy theory, I think it is always a good idea to ask the question: 'Qui bono?' ('Who benefits?')
Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

When validating the truth or otherwise of any conspiracy theory, I think it is always a good idea to ask the question: 'Qui bono?' ('Who benefits?')
that advice goes far beyond conspiracy theories, mr. moneybags. far beyond.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
I think it may have to do more with fundamental differences in how each side thinks. For one, Republicans are more likely to own guns and support war it seems, so it stands to reason that a statistically greater minority subset of Republicans would be more likely to believe that conflict can be solved by guns or murder.
Rrrrrrrrrrright, like that recent CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll of deathrow inmates showing John McCain leading Barack Obama by a wide margin.

Republicans are, however, the party that supports the idea of punishments that fit the crime -- such as executing cold-blooded murderers irregardless of what wacky thoughts were floating around their brain at the time.
Thank you Arkansas law enforcement officials for a job well done.
Quote:
I think it is quite conceivable that there are going to be weak-minded conservatives who are actually going to buy this kind of treasonous punditry, but also decide that they have to take matters into their own hands.
Weak-minded conservative is an oxymoron.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Weak-minded conservative is an oxymoron.
This is a very interesting statement. One that probably deserves it's own thread... Especially given the idea that conservatism is a vote for self interest. How many conservatives fear higher education and science? Status quo is not the hard road to take.