Are your political beliefs better than mine? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2004, 02:25 AM   #1
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 08:09 PM
Are your political beliefs better than mine?

We're going to play a little game now.....
This is your chance to prove yourself.

In ONE reply, I'd like you to respond to the statements below.
DO NOT argue amongst yourselves, doing so will only prove that you're arrogant, intolerant, and/or ethnocentic. (OK, so that eliminates most people in this forum...)

Tell me why your political beliefs are better than mine.
One problem... you don't know what mine are. You must not compare, bash, slander, etc other political beliefs. Keep your reply strictly about your beliefs.

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:55 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 10:09 PM
I believe in life after love.
I believe in a thing called love,
I believe the children are our future.

Rock The Vote!

Old 01-20-2004, 03:09 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
One problem... you don't know what mine are. You must not compare, bash, slander, etc other political beliefs. Keep your reply strictly about your beliefs.

would it not be fair to say that you don't know what all of our individual political beliefs are as well? it is perfectly understandable to say no to slandering and bashing of political beliefs, everyone is, after all, entitled to their own opinion. however, would the ban on comparison of political beliefs negate the entire existence of both "free your mind" and "war?"
Old 01-20-2004, 05:52 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 AM
Re: Are your political beliefs better than mine?

Quote:
In one sentence? My beliefs probably aren't objectively better than anyone elses.

Of course I think my beliefs are the right ones because otherwise I'd have different opinions, but I can't know for sure that what I believe is any better than what you or any other person believes.

I base what I believe in on what I see happening in the world around me. For example, I believe the UK should at least attempt to give 0.7% of its GDP as international aid because I've read reports from groups such as Oxfam or the Red Cross which make me believe that money could be spent to help people who desperately need it. I believe the UK should have a national health service because I'm aware of the consequences both to individuals and society of denying people something as fundamental as medical care based on their ability to pay for it.

But I also have to recognise that someone else will look at that information and decide that the UK shouldn't give any international aid because there are still schools that don't have enough teachers and so the government should invest money in that first. Someone else will look at that and say that making people pay for healthcare is an incentive for people to work hard and afford insurance. Another person will say that the government shouldn't provide healthcare because in order to do that they have to charge taxes which are too high.

Of course I don't agree with them, but I can't usually prove that their beliefs are wrong and mine are right. In any case, I can often learn something from their arguments, even if I think the conclusion they reach is the wrong one. So all I can do is to listen to their arguments, discuss them, try to learn from them, try to explain why I have different opinions and maybe even have some fun into the bargain.

I have to admit the one time when I find it hard to accept that different political beliefs are equally valid is when I hear someone making comments that are racist, sexist or derogatory about a particular religion. I don't think there are any valid justifications for comments like those and I don't think that comments that bash people for who they are can add anything to political discussion.

And on that happy note, I'll stop rambling away and hope that I haven't bored anyone too badly.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:28 AM   #5
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:09 PM
Re: Are your political beliefs better than mine?

Quote:
..... doing so will only prove that you're arrogant, intolerant, and/or ethnocentic. (OK, so that eliminates most people in this forum...)

I do not believe mine are better than anyone else's but the above which I have underlined and put in italics sets some apart from others in this forum.

Argue me wrong Elvis.
!
Old 01-20-2004, 09:11 AM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 12:09 AM
My political beleifs are not better or worse the anyones elses. They are personal and based on what I value. When I vote I don't vote for any poltical part I vote my bleiefs and values and for the canidate that most explemplifies thats. I think basically my beliefs have centered around the fact that this world is bigger then me or anyone else and my responsbility to this " Love thy Neighbour" as a global citizen and as someone who is unviling to comprimise my morals and values . Does that make me seem arrogant maybe .. because I fill fight for what I truly belive in and am passionate about thats my right to do so, as it is everyone elses.

To paraphrase , I might not believe in what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it.

Sometimes when we are passionate about something the words come out in the wrong , people get offended.. But I would much rather say somethng that not knowingly offends someone through my convictions ... then have passion for nothing at all.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:35 AM   #7
Babyface

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Ummm...my political beliefs are better than yours because they work for *me* and are a part of the world that *I* want to live in?

How did that go?

LOL

Man, what a tough statement to rebut.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:35 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:09 AM
No, my political views are not better than yours or anyone else's. They're based on my experiences, which are different than those of other people. They're mine, and that's all I can say. I'll only complain about someone else's politics if they are in the Ku Klux Klan or some other hate outfit. We have to respect each others' differences if we are going to work together to solve the huge problems we're facing as a planet and as a people.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:54 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

If I knew your political beliefs, and they were better, I would have your political beliefs....
Old 01-20-2004, 05:04 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

When you really come down to it, isn't 'political belief' an oxymoron? Belief would mean having a truth to put your faith behind. Politics is all about the subjective.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:33 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
When you really come down to it, isn't 'political belief' an oxymoron? Belief would mean having a truth to put your faith behind. Politics is all about the subjective.
Well said, BonoVoxSupastar.

I have to believe mine are the best [at least for me] because if I held political views that I knew to be poor, then it would be pretty difficult to continue to follow them.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 PM   #12
Creator of the Blue Crack

Last three comments have not told me why yours are better than mine. Obviously your own are good for you... thats why you have them.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:19 PM   #13
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:09 AM
Elvis:
How could i and why should i think that mine are better than yours as long as i don't even know your politcial beliefs.
Klaus
Old 01-20-2004, 07:47 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Correct. The question is unanswerable.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:00 PM   #15

Local Time: 11:09 PM
of course mine are better than yours, in my opinion. if my political beliefs were worse, i wouldn't hold those beliefs!