Are your political beliefs better than mine? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2004, 03:01 AM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 07:11 PM
Well, that's how I would direct an argument.

Of course, having control over the organization and delivery of words in a political conversation does afford a sense of tectonic honesty.

Maybe you were being made an example of what not to do dear lilly...

Try harder next time, to conform to our ideas.

Only then you will be better.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:48 AM   #32
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 05:11 PM
You both fail to understand what several others here have understood.

Stop thinking about this as an equation, or something to disprove.

I also never said 'on sentence'... I said one reply. Really, the problem at hand is neither of you can read my entire post without jumping to assumptions first.

Lilly made an example out of herself for not being able to follow VERY simple instructions. No one put a gun to Lilly's head to post in this thread, nor did anyone force her to not follow directions... she did both on her own free will.

This has nothing to do with confomity... quite the opposite actually.

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:58 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:11 PM
ok, i'll give it a shot... good thing, because i don't have to argue or defend my point, but just give one reply, right?

My beliefs (political, spiritual, what-have-you) grant me a direction toward an ideal state of the world I would like to live in.

I assume that all of you have beliefs that construct your ideal states of reality.

That's great. All these ideas in our heads, we're just always "dreamin' out loud"...

Better yet, let's exchange ideas and work together in making a better world. Although we may have different ideas about HOW to get there, at least we're starting somewhere (here in FYM) to get to that PROMISE LAND....
Old 01-22-2004, 04:04 AM   #34
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
This has nothing to do with confomity... quite the opposite actually.
Interesting how you've labelled some as jumping to conclusions, when you yourself have prematurely made assumptions without reading, or comprehending the content of responses.

Stop thinking about this as an existential investigation with some ethereally applicable benefit... your attempts to frustrate the charged denizens of this forum has reached its peak of redundancy. The simple fact is, you designed a question with an intent that failed because it was executed poorly. The intent? Left vague because of the process... most likely to emphasize brevity, and a clarity of argument. A stipulation against the defending of your position? Admirable... but lack of accountability is dangerous, and can lead to Austrian Gubernatorial-elects.

If this question has nothing to do with conformity (spelled with an r in most dialects) then obviously you didn't closely read my "better than" proclamation...

Judging by my mechanics discourse... methinks I read YOUR posts in a thorough enough manner...

Old 01-22-2004, 06:49 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:11 PM
If I understand this correctly, now that I am out of my Rush Limbaugh haze, is that the posts were taken out of this thread and put into another.

If this is so isn't this Censorship? Isn't this using control, that others in the forum do not have, to do two things:

a) make a public example of a respected member of the community?
b) control your own thread, something none of us are afforded the ability to do?

If I am wrong sorry...maybe I am in a haze....but it does not seem fair.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:56 AM   #36
War Child

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Quote:
If this question has nothing to do with conformity (spelled with an r in most dialects)
*sigh* what actually compels people to do that!?
Old 01-23-2004, 09:29 PM   #37
Refugee

Right on the money Tizer! If there's a discrepancy in such a menial issue of mechanics, then who knows how pervasive the lapse is!

You are commended.

Yours

Forever,

fetchez la vache.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:18 PM   #38
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 02:11 AM
I'd like to know if Dread was right in his post:

Quote:
If I understand this correctly, now that I am out of my Rush Limbaugh haze, is that the posts were taken out of this thread and put into another.

If this is so isn't this Censorship? Isn't this using control, that others in the forum do not have, to do two things:

a) make a public example of a respected member of the community?
b) control your own thread, something none of us are afforded the ability to do?

If I am wrong sorry...maybe I am in a haze....but it does not seem fair.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:00 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
I had this long drawn out reason why mine are better than yours
but it just doesn't matter... too you. So it's a mute point ... therefore I deleted it.
moot point!

my political views are the same as yours in the sense that they're mine and not necessarily identical to anyone elses...sure there are some areas that overlap, and depending on who YOU are these areas may be great or small. kind of what headache said, and there are plenty things i think we'd disagree with, so there ya go.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:32 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Are your political beliefs better than mine?

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
Tell me why your political beliefs are better than mine.
I notice that the title of this thread is "Are your political beliefs better than mine?" but I am only going to respond to the actual request of this thread, which is quoted above.

Because you request that I tell you why my political beliefs are better than yours, you have already acknowledged that they (my beliefs) are better than yours. Now a bit of extrapolation tells me that since my political beliefs are better than yours, I am also better than you.

Therefore, my political beliefs are better than yours because they are mine and I am better than you.

There you go.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:15 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by IWasBored

moot point!

edit for the last time:
I have lost both my ability to spell and edit this weekend.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:16 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Um....since thinking of an answer to this is more fun that writing my paper:

Are my political beliefs better than yours? Yes, of course! Mine are the best because only I know and understand me and what I believe in as well as I do, so my political beliefs are the best because yours might be good, but they don't take into consideration MY beliefs and values, my past present and future. Besides, why would I want to believe in something that wasn't the best? MINE are the best b/c they're MINE and I like 'em dammit!!

MINE MINE MINE ME ME ME MINE BEST BEST ME I MINE MINE!!!

Old 01-26-2004, 12:00 AM   #43
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 05:11 PM
I appreciate those that are following the directions of the original post within this thread.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:13 AM   #44
LCK
Acrobat

Dear Elvis,

My political views are better than yours because I haven't taken the time to get to know you before judging you. What you get from me therefore is a knee-jerk reaction to what I have perceived, rightly or wrongly, from you in a handful of online posts. I haven't sat down with you face to face and asked you not only what you believe but why you believe as you do. I have judged you according to my own standards, based upon my own intolerances, biases, and ethnocentricity. Perhaps I've even taken it one step lower and judged you on heresy and gossip, perhaps someone has told me "That Elvis is such a fanatic/ crackpot/ troublemaker" etc that I have judged you even before you've opened your mouth. I would not tolerate the same treatment from you, however. I expect you to sit there in slack jawed wonder enraptured by my every word, allow me to have my say uninterrupted and then alter your own viewpoint accordingly to align with mine. Anything less and I will get all drama queen on you and highlight all your shortcomings, relevent to the topic at hand or not, and ridicule the idiocy inherent in your inferior beliefs in a flame war hissy fit. I won't stop to think that had I given you half a chance I could have learned something from you, perhaps even made a friend.

Seriously speaking, I don't believe my views on politics (or religion for that matter) are better than yours, even not knowing what yours are. Having studied history rather extensively, I can see that intolerance is the key to an oppressive and/ or stagnant society. Intolerance breeds censorship and conformity while it stifles rational debate, independent thought, and creativity. Without knowing your political views or you knowing mine I like to think we could talk to each other, listen to each other. Change is what keeps our world moving forward and change does not come about from the complacency of like minded people mouthing like minded jargon. Change comes first from necessity and then the ideas borne from that necessity and...I'm rambling now, you said one post right? ttfn

"Once you have a belief, it influences how you perceive all other relevent information" Robert Jervis, political scientist. 1985.

"From the earliest time of my studies, I set up for myself the rule that whenever I discern a sounder opinion in any matter whatever I gladly & humbly abandon the earlier one, for I know that what I have learned is but the least in comparison with what I do not know" Jan Hus, Czech priest and professor, (1369-1415), a significant influence on Martin Luther.

"I still haven't found what I'm looking for"- U2. 1987.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:00 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard

Interesting how you've labelled some as jumping to conclusions, when you yourself have prematurely made assumptions without reading, or comprehending the content of responses.

Stop thinking about this as an existential investigation with some ethereally applicable benefit... your attempts to frustrate the charged denizens of this forum has reached its peak of redundancy. The simple fact is, you designed a question with an intent that failed because it was executed poorly. The intent? Left vague because of the process... most likely to emphasize brevity, and a clarity of argument. A stipulation against the defending of your position? Admirable... but lack of accountability is dangerous, and can lead to Austrian Gubernatorial-elects.

If this question has nothing to do with conformity (spelled with an r in most dialects) then obviously you didn't closely read my "better than" proclamation...

Judging by my mechanics discourse... methinks I read YOUR posts in a thorough enough manner...

Thats worth another read....