Are your political beliefs better than mine? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2004, 08:27 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Some beliefs are right, some are wrong. Otherwise, you wouldn't believe in them.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:39 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Here is the foundation of my politics:

[Q]We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.[/Q]

Old 01-20-2004, 10:48 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:17 AM
Elvis, I *can't* say my political views are better than yours or those of Person X. They are simply my opinions, based on my experiences in life. Someone else's mileage is going to vary. That doesn't make them stupid, ignorant, crazy, lazy or anything else. They're just different. Life would be a drag if we were all the same.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:10 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Mine are better than yours FOR ME ONLY. Everything else is details.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:43 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: Are your political beliefs better than mine?

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis

Tell me why your political beliefs are better than mine.
You must not compare
Please explain how it's possible to say something's better than something else without comparing the two. And assuming that's possible, explain how it's possible to make a blanket statement as to why one set of political beliefs are, en masse, better than another. I'd venture to say that each of my beliefs that is better than each of yours for a distinct reason. Do you want us to make an itemized list of each of our probably infinite politcal beliefs and then proceed to explain why each of them are better than the possibly infinite differing beliefs? I think the reason you're not getting any satisfactory answers is not because we're shrugging off the question but because the question, as you've phrased it, is impossible to answer.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:08 AM   #21
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Re: Re: Are your political beliefs better than mine?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes

Please explain how it's possible to say something's better than something else without comparing the two. And assuming that's possible, explain how it's possible to make a blanket statement as to why one set of political beliefs are, en masse, better than another. I'd venture to say that each of my beliefs that is better than each of yours for a distinct reason. Do you want us to make an itemized list of each of our probably infinite politcal beliefs and then proceed to explain why each of them are better than the possibly infinite differing beliefs? I think the reason you're not getting any satisfactory answers is not because we're shrugging off the question but because the question, as you've phrased it, is impossible to answer.
Actually, there are some excellent answers here..... some very well thought out answers.

Truth of the matter... this thread has absolutely nothing to do with politics. You could replace the word 'political' with religious, sports, music, satanic, etc etc etc....
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

My political ideas are not better than yours. Your political ideas are not better than mine. The reason is because we both believe in the same basic ideas... the only ideas that are truely 100% correct. We both believe in the American idea... in Democracy... in the belief that every man, woman or child has the right to his or her own opinions. And while i may not agree with all those opinions, I will fight beside you for the right to speak your own opinions.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:40 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Mine are better only because I say so. Your beliefs are better than mine because you say so.

I think this is really what it comes down to, and there is no rational, scientific basis to any of this reasoning.

Melon
Old 01-21-2004, 10:32 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

This thread sucks! I was thinking of a good answer and my computer just shut off, lost all power, which really blows b/c it was halfway through printing an 8.5X11 hi-res photo on expensive paper and now I have to start it all over......

GAH

what melon said ^
Old 01-21-2004, 11:48 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I had this long drawn out reason why mine are better than yours
but it just doesn't matter... too you. So it's a mute point ... therefore I deleted it.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
I had this long drawn out reason why mine are better than yours
but it just doesn't matter... too you. So it's a mute point ... therefore I deleted it.

The point of the thread is to answer the 'question', not to write a response and then delete it.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:15 AM   #27
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

This is a rhetorical question, right? To try to get people to be more civil to each other in FYM?
Old 01-22-2004, 01:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
This is a rhetorical question, right? To try to get people to be more civil to each other in FYM?

Incorrect.

Incorrect.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:47 AM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I think this is really what it comes down to, and there is no rational, scientific basis to any of this reasoning
There doesn't necessarily have to be a diagnostic analysis in reason to comply with the mandate of this thread. Why are my political beliefs better than yours? Well, in the interest of destroying a perfectly disjoint thread, it all lies within the central... and endlessly faulted... question that you proposed. In fact, responding to this thread only affirms your resolve. The only answer is to dissect it the old boolean-school way, by contradicting the foundation of your query (which lilly already did admirably). Frankly, my approach to politics is one of compromise and diplomacy... although I did perpetuate the alotted one sentence, you yourself violated the stipulation with your own discourse preamble...

To summarize in one sentence?

My political beliefs are inherently better than yours because I would never demean a conversation by imparting value to respective political thought.

There in itself is a contradiction... but I'm content to take the walls down with me.

~End Game.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:55 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard

The only answer is to dissect it the old boolean-school way, by contradicting the foundation of your query (which lilly already did admirably).

actually, if you look, i never replied to this thread!!!

or did i and they were all taken out and put in a different thread...