Are You Optimistic About 2007?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Personally and for what will happen in your country and in the world?

Are you in general an optimist or a pessimist?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-12-31-poll-optimism-2007_x.htm

"An AP-AOL News Poll finds that while most Americans said 2006 was a bad year for the country, three-fourths thought it had been a good one for them and their families.

"In a time of war, so little has been asked of us as citizens," said Given, who teaches ancient Greek at East Carolina University. "We haven't had to sacrifice anything. We've been allowed to live our lives very, very well."

Looking ahead, optimism reigns.

Seventy-two percent of Americans feel good about what 2007 will bring for the country, and an even larger 89% are optimistic about the new year for themselves and their families, according to the poll.

That fits with a long-term trend suggesting that Americans are generally an optimistic lot. Polling over recent decades is replete with optimism, and with a tendency for people to feel more positively about their own situations than that of the country overall."

"Among the one-quarter of Americans who felt pessimistic about what 2007 will bring for the country, Iraq was a recurrent theme, along with concern about poor political leadership.

"I don't really like the person running the show," said one poll respondent. "Look at the service men that are dying over there," said another. "I don't think our leaders are capable of fixing the problems," said a third.

Democrats were more likely than Republicans to have a negative view of the past year, and were less likely to feel optimistic looking forward."

There you see the difference between Germans and Americans.
Germans tend to be more pessimistic and always see the bad things, or expect things to become worse.

We'll have to see. The economy is on a pick-up, but our VAT got increased by three percent as well.

But the economical growth is very strong, so it is expected to neutralize the effects of the higher VAT.

I'm really looking forward to what 2007 will bring. Personally not too much will happen compared to the last year, where I frist visited Australia, and then moved to Berlin to start studying.

Politically not too much will happen since we're stuck at the moment with our grand coalition.
So let's see what Germany will do with its EU presidency and the G8 summit.

I'm rather an optimist, but also try to be as much of a realist as possible.

I think I am a realist--optimistic when what I see leads me that way, pessimistic when what I see leads me the other.

I'm marginally optimistic politically, but am taking a wait and see attitude. Personally I'm optimistic about the things under my control, leery about the things that are not. However, I see much less things under my control than I have in the past. If I can re-find that sense of control, I suspect I will be more optimistic.

I'm glad 2006 is over. I'm not overly enthusiastic about 2007.

I'm not overly optimistic about 2007. I'm pleased about the change in my government, I just hope the Democrats get the message and get us the hell out of Iraq. But there's only so much they can do, generally speaking, with such a huge deficit.

Well, my guess is 2007 could only be better than 2006. For starters, I hope the US gets the fuck out of Iraq! Secondly, we're one year closer to GW NOT being the president anymore! Finally, we don't have Saddam to kick around anymore.

I'm very optimistic. Why not be? So the world's effed up. Why not have some hope during a time of new beginnings? Change is possible.

I guess I'm optimistic about my own life and where I'm going. That's where we should all start.

Not particularly optimistic about the state of the world, but I am pretty optimistic about my own personal 2007.

Personally - yes

Nationally - cautiously optimistic

Globally - no

I'm rather personally optimistic, as 2007 looks set to be a really good year on most fronts in my life. On a national political level, I am being very cautiously optimistic that maybe we can see some positive change in this year's election. However, on a more global level, I am extremely pessimistic. Tension in many parts of the world just seems to be getting worse and I have no idea how a myriad of difficult situations are going to reach a positive conclusion any time soon.

Somewhat optimistic but worried as well...worried that the Bush regime will attack Iran sometime this year and all hell will break lose. It's a very distinct possibility - Bush/Cheney have absolutely nothing to lose.

Indeed it's not just conflict. In fact, there's more conflict in Iraq than anywhere else, and that's the very place that there was supposed to be at peace. I'm very pessimistic about the future of that godforsaken country. It's a cesspool of terrorists. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
Personally: private life yes, absolutely; business dunno- is nothing but a freak show of ups and downs.

For my country? lol.

Globally? Not.

Personally, on the whole yes, I'm optimistic. I always am. Though there is one area about which I'm very very pessimistic. . .so much so that I might make plans to see a counselor to deal with it. It's one of The Big Issues (starting a family). I want to. . .and I don't think it's going to happen.

Nationally and globally--I'm neither pessimistic nor optimistic. I just figure whatever happens will happen and we all will roll with the punches. I don't fear any kind of worldwide catastrophe (though I suppose one could always happen) nor do I anticipate some sort of Utopian age being ushered in either. The world will keep on turning. . .

but I think we can make a positive difference in the world, and that's worth something.

I don't think I'm optimistic on any front. In general the world seems to be on a negative tilt.

But as long as I can walk, talk, breathe, see and everything else there's always reason to be optimistic. I'm less of a pessimist than I used to be, mainly because I find that being a pessimist is such a draining and unhappy way in which to live. Spring usually makes me optimistic.

Personally: Yes, 2007 is going to be a HUGE year for me.

Globally: Nup...the world is getting fucked, and its never going to get better unless some pretty big things are changed, and i dont see that happen as we are still all so comsumed by the mighty $$ that i doubt we'll see anything of real change happen.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't think I'm optimistic on any front. In general the world seems to be on a negative tilt.

But as long as I can walk, talk, breathe, see and everything else there's always reason to be optimistic.

:yes: :up:

Back
Top Bottom