Are You a ONE Supporter in Texas? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Well, we did it!

The Senate passed the Santorum-Durbin Amendment to the FY 2007 federal budget which will increase the U.S. contribution to the Global Fund to $866 million.

Here is the info from the DATA website:

http://www.data.org/archives/000780.php

SENATORS SANTORUM AND DURBIN WIN $566 MILLION TO FIGHT GLOBAL AIDS

Durbin/Santorum Measure to Increase U.S. Contribution
to Global Fund to Fight AIDS Wins Senate Approval

[Washington, D.C.] U.S. Senators Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Rick Santorum (R-PA) today applauded the passage of their amendment to increase the United States’ contribution to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria to $866 million in fiscal year 2007.

“The Global Fund must increase in the face of an expanding global epidemic. This is not a partisan or political issue; it is a moral issue. Millions of lives are hanging in the balance,” Senator Durbin said. “This U.S. contribution sends a clear signal to other nations that they must step up.”

“I am pleased that my Senate colleagues joined Senator Durbin and I today to adopt this amendment,” said Senator Santorum. “It is essential that the U.S. contribution to the Global Fund be increased so that we can continue to provide life-saving and life-sustaining assistance to people infected with HIV/AIDS and other diseases in the poorest areas of the world."

The Global Fund works in 130 countries and it addresses TB and malaria, in addition to HIV/AIDS. The requirement that each U.S. dollar be matched by two dollars from other donors is a critical mechanism to leverage contributions from other nations to the global fight against AIDS, TB, and malaria. The Global Fund estimates that it will need $1.6 billion to renew current proven grants and an additional $1 billion to fund a new round of grants to meet the growing need.

Tom Hart, Deputy Executive Director of DATA, said: “We congratulate and thank Senator Santorum and Senator Durbin for winning this amendment. While they lead opposing political parties, they are leaders together in the fight against global HIV/AIDS and other diseases in the poorest parts of the world. We and the thousands of Americans who supported them through the ONE campaign are looking for the same courageous effort in the House of Representatives. Support for the Global Fund translates into lives saved. This amendment would allow that to continue and grow.”

“This is a splendid triumph for a lot of sick people who are going to be kept alive as a result of the passage of this amendment,” said Jack Valenti, President of Friends of the Global Fight against AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.

On average, every $100 million contribution to the Global Fund will generate the following results:
• The Fund can provide 630,000 bed nets to fight malaria, and
• It can deliver 150,000 treatments for malaria, and,
• It can provide 80,000 highly-effective DOTS treatments for TB, and
• It can supply 370,000 people with HIV tests, and
• It can provide 11,000 people with life-saving AIDS treatment.

Roughly 34 million people have died from HIV/AIDS since the start of the epidemic and an estimated 70 million have been infected. Every 60 seconds, there are 5 more deaths from AIDS and 9 more infections. Over the next decade, an estimated 50 million more people will contract HIV.

-----------------------------------------------------

This is EXCELLENT NEWS for the future survival of the world's poorest people.

THANK YOU to everyone who called their Senators over the last few days about this matter -

your voice DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Old 03-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #17
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 07:08 PM

Old 03-17-2006, 11:52 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

From the ONE blog today:

Congratulations - We Did It!
Yesterday evening and early TODAY, the Senate passed both the Santorum-Durbin and DeWine-Leahy Amendments. CLOSE TO 16,000 ONE supporters called their Senators, asking them to support funding that will help fight global AIDS, TB and malaria and save the lives of mothers and children around the world - and it looks like our efforts paid off!

It's incredible to see what can be done when we all work together. Senators Santorum, Durbin, DeWine and Leahy demonstrated true leadership by reaching across political divides to do the right thing: save lives. We should all celebrate this victory and feel proud for coming together and working as ONE.

http://www.one.org/blog/

Kudos to everyONE here who helped to make this a reality.

In a few weeks we will get the chance to weigh in once again with our Congresspeople about these amendments.

Keep looking for future ONE action alerts.

We are much more effective when we work as ONE.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Great!
Old 03-19-2006, 10:47 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thanks, dear verte and Carek for your continued support of ONE.

Texas is poised to become an important outreach opportunity for ONE with one of our Senators on the Senate Appropriations Committee and the other on the Senate Budget Committee.

Probably one of the reasons why Bono is finally coming to speak about ONE in Texas.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:54 AM   #21
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Oh how I wish I could afford to go to Dallas to hear Bono speak. One of the items on my list of things to do in my lifetime is to hear Bono SPEAK. Once again I will rely on a number of fellow U2 fan/friends to share their experience with me. I know you will too, Jamila. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
Oh how I wish I could afford to go to Dallas to hear Bono speak. One of the items on my list of things to do in my lifetime is to hear Bono SPEAK. Once again I will rely on a number of fellow U2 fan/friends to share their experience with me. I know you will too, Jamila. Thanks!

I definitely will be there.

I got my ticket as soon as they went on sale this past Sunday.

And I got a FABULOUS ticket with a clear view of Bono.

I only wished that I could have been that lucky and scored a GA ticket into the Ellipse during the Vertigo tour.

Since Bono's first speaking engagement on "The Heart of America" tour, I have been urging folks at DATA (now ONE) to bring Bono to speak in Texas about extreme poverty since Texas is the homestate of the President and the President is touchy about the way he is perceived in Texas.

Finally, it seems that someone has listened with this trip of Bono's to Dallas.

With Sen. Hutchison on the Senate Appropriations Committee and Sen. Cornyn on the Senate Budget Committee, Bono has two influential Senators regarding funding levels for anti-poverty programs to begin to put some pressure on.

Welcome to Texas, Bono!
Old 03-23-2006, 08:46 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Since JubileeUSA has recently made the decision to join ONE, this action alert from Jubilee seems appropriate here.

Thanks Jubilee for joining your voice with the ONE Campaign!

http://www.jubileeusa.org/jubilee.cg...allin0306.html

Take Action: Urge World Bank to Remove Deadly Delays to Debt Cancellation

March 22-24: National Call-In Days to World Bank Ahead of March 28 Board Meeting

Please call the World Bank between March 22-24 to urge the World Bank to remove deadly delays to debt cancellation.

Though World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz has said 42 countries will benefit from the (Group of 8) G-8 nations debt deal, the fine print of the World Bank’s plan to implement debt cancellation means that beyond an initial 17 nations, any additional countries will have to wait at a minimum until mid-2007 – a full two years after the G-8 Summit in Gleneagles – for their debts to be cancelled to the World Bank. These countries will have to keep paying their debts in the meantime even after they reach the completion point – and these payments are non-refundable. Some nations, like Haiti, will have to wait until 2009. This is unacceptable.

Thank you for taking time to call World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz and US Executive Director to the World Bank Robert Holland personally. Calling is the most effective way to get our message across that delaying debt cancellation costs lives and is unacceptable! Below we have listed contact phone numbers and a suggested script. And click here to send an email to the World Bank.

Contact Info for World Bank President and US Executive Director on the Bank Board:
[If you have time for only one call, please call President Wolfowitz.]

World Bank President, Paul Wolfowitz
Phone: (202) 458-0198

US Executive Director to the World Bank, Robert Holland
Phone: (202) 458-0115

Phone Script:

Hello. Could I speak to [name of World Bank director] please?

1. If you reach them personally:
My name is _______ and I’m from [City, State]. I’m calling to ask that the World Bank keep the promise made by world leaders to the world’s poorest nations at your Board meeting on Tuesday March 28th. I urge you to allow countries to receive 100% cancellation as soon as they reach completion point, without unnecessary additional delays and harmful economic conditions. Delays to debt cancellation cost lives.

2. If you are told he/she is unavailable, or that they cannot put you through, ask the person on the phone to relay the following message:
My name is _______ and I’m from [City, State]. Would you please ask [name of World Bank director] to keep the promise world leaders made to the world’s poorest nations when the Board meets on Tuesday March 28th? I urge you to allow countries to receive 100% cancellation as soon as they reach completion point, without unnecessary additional delays and harmful economic conditions. Delays to debt cancellation cost lives.

Thank you for taking action today!
- Jubilee USA Network, March 2006

Old 03-29-2006, 11:20 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

From the ONE website:

After Senate victory, we’re on to the House…
Posted by Erin

07:00 PM Mar 27, 2006

Your recent Senate victory added hundreds of millions of dollars to the budget to help beat global AIDS and extreme poverty! Now we're ready to shift focus to the House of Representatives.

THIS WEEK, the House Budget Committee sits down to determine what priority the U.S. puts on fighting global AIDS and poverty.

Check the end of this blog to see if your Representative is on the House Budget Committee and send an email asking him or her to support life-saving funding!

They'll be putting it to a vote and lives are at stake, so let's keep up the positive pressure and ask the House to support funding that will help fight global AIDS, TB and malaria and save the lives of mothers and children around the world!

Check out the Des Moines Register and the Quad-City Times to see what Iowans have been doing to encourage House Budget Committee Chairman, Jim Nussle, to fight global AIDS and extreme poverty.

Alabama
Representative Jo Bonner
District - 1

Alabama
Representative Artur Davis
District - 7

California
Representative Dan Lungren
District - 3

California
Representative Lois Capps
District - 23

Connecticut
Representative Rosa DeLauro
District - 3

Florida
Representative Ander Crenshaw
District - 4

Florida
Representative Mario Diaz-Balary
District - 25

Florida
Representative Connie Mack
District - 14

Florida
Representative Adam Putnam
District - 12

Florida
Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen
District - 18

Georgia
Representative Cynthia McKinney
District - 4

Hawaii
Representative Ed Case
District - 2

Idaho
Representative Mike Simpson
District - 2

Indiana
Representative Chris Chocola
District - 2

Iowa
Representative Jim Nussle
District - 1

Kansas
Representative Jim Ryun
District - 2

Kansas
Representative Dennis Moore
Kansas

Louisiana
Representative William Jefferson
District - 2

Maine
Representative Thomas Allen
District - 1

Massachusetts
Representative Richard Neal
District - 2

Michigan
Representative Thaddeus McCotter
District - 11

Mississippi
Representative Roger Wicker
District - 1

Missouri
Representative Kenny Hulshof
District - 9

New Hampshire
Jeb Bradley
District - 1

New Jersey
Representative Scott Garrett
District - 5

North Carolina
Representative Patrick McHenry
District - 10

Pennsylvania
Representative Allyson Schwartz
District - 13

Representative John Spratt
South Carolina
District - 5

South Carolina
Representative J. Gresham Barrett
District - 3

Tennessee
Representative Jim Cooper
District - 5

Tennessee
Representative Harold E. Ford Jr.
District - 9

Texas
Representative Mike Conaway
District - 11

Texas
Representative Jeb Hensarling
District - 5

Texas
Representative Pete Sessions
District - 32

Texas
Representative Henry Cuellar
District - 28

Texas
Representative Chet Edwards
District - 17

Washington
Representative Brian Baird
District - 3

Wisconsin
Representative Paul Ryan
District - 1

Wisconsin
Representative Ron Kind
District - 3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please contact your Representative THIS WEEK to let them know that you STAND AS ONE in funding the fight against Global AIDS and extreme poverty in the FY 2007 budget.

Think of the thousands of lives which will be saved.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

From the ONE website today:

Last week, the House cut funding that would have helped fight global AIDS and extreme poverty. More than 160,000 ONE supporters across the United States called their Congressmen and asked them to support the President's budget request to fund the fight against AIDS and extreme poverty - but they didn't do it.

Under the leadership of Congressman Jim Nussle (R-IA), Chairman of the Budget Committee, the House stripped more than $2 billion from the President's proposed plan to provide life-saving assistance to the world's poorest countries. And Representative Jeb Bradley (R-NH) introduced and passed an amendment that cut $800 million from the President's budget request to fund the fight against AIDS and poverty.

Call Congressman Nussle and Congressman Bradley and let them know you’re disappointed with the cuts to the International Affairs budget:

Congressman Nussle:
Davenport Office: (563) 326–1841
Washington, DC Office: (202) 225-2911

Congressman Bradley:
Washington, DC: (202) 225-5456
Manchester, NH: (603) 641-9536

In the Senate, despite significant gains in life-saving funding through the efforts of Senators Santorum (R-PA), Durbin (D-IL), DeWine (R-OH) and Leahy (D-VT), there was also a failure to deliver on the President's budget request to fully fund the fight against AIDS and poverty. Ultimately, the Senate slashed $2 billion from the President's proposal.

Though we are all disappointed, there will be opportunities in the future to do more. Keep checking the ONE blog for more information and chances to take action.

I would encourage EVERYONE who wants to see the end of extreme poverty to CALL THESE CONGRESSMEN and let them know about your disappointment in their actions.

Ultimately, the Congress represents EVERY American so we all have the right and the duty to let these people know how we feel!

Thanks for caring about the world's poorest people.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And here's a good article which shows WHY this money to end extreme poverty is so ESSENTIAL - because IT WORKS!

Experts Boost Low-Cost Health Care By MARGIE MASON, AP Medical Writer

Mon Apr 3, 7:30 PM ET

Can good health come cheap? That's the question some of the world's leading health experts are answering with new research aimed at helping poor countries get the most bang for their buck by using inexpensive, simple interventions like taking aspirin to cut down on heart disease and stroke — the biggest single killer in developing nations.

"You do not need to have much in the way of resources to acquire good health at a national level," said Dean Jamison, a health economics professor at the University of California, San Francisco. "If you have the right policies, if you make the right investments, huge health gains can ensue."

Researchers released three books Monday at the start of a four-day global health conference that outline the best and worst buys when trying to save lives from maladies ranging from cancer and HIV/AIDS to traffic accident injuries.

The findings suggested that spending money on cost-effective intervention can add years to people's lives.

For instance, spending an extra $2 to $20 on expanding childhood vaccination programs buys an extra year of life, while paying $8 to $20 to switch to lower resistance combination malaria drugs is equal to an added year of healthy life.

"Many of our ministers think of health systems as a bottomless pit that cannot be addressed," said George Alleyne, director emeritus of the Pan American Health Organization and an editor for the Disease Control Priorities Project. "You do not have to be rich to improve your health; that is an essential message of this book."

He said countries can save large amounts of money simply by using the data collected for what works and what doesn't — for example, avoiding costly surgery for people with epilepsy and instead providing pills that cost pennies apiece.

Adding speed bumps at intersections was found to bring big savings by greatly reducing the number of traffic accidents, while using aspirin and beta-blocker drugs cut down on the need for heart bypass surgeries.

Dr. Shigeru Omi, the World Health Organization's regional director for the Western Pacific, said the region desperately needs cost-effective interventions to offset its huge health burden, which varies greatly among countries.

Japan has a life expectancy of 82 years, compared to Papua New Guinea's 53 years.

"In the 37 countries and areas that make up our region, 11,000 people die every day due to cardiovascular disease and another 6,500 people die as the result of cancer," he said in a video presentation at the conference's opening. "More than 1 million cases of tuberculosis are diagnosed annually in the region every year."

Jamison said developing countries do not need a lot of wealth to make huge improvements in health. He said the life expectancy in China increased by 30 years from 1950 to 1980, even though the country's income levels were still low.

China also has improved the health of people in rural areas — where health systems are often inadequate — by fortifying foods, including adding iodine to salt and iron to soy sauce, said Dr. Sally Stansfield, global health strategies associate director at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which provided a grant for the research.

"Food fortification is huge," she said. "It's highly cost-effective."

She also cited Tanzania as one country that juggled funds into different programs to maximize value. By adding only 80 cents per person, district health officials were able to reduce infant mortality rates by 47 percent in two years. If that was expanded nationwide, more than 47,000 lives could be saved there each year, she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060403/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--