Are you a dangerous driver? 10 ways to tell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm guilty of some of these:

------------When you reach a stop sign and no one is coming from another direction, do you roll through instead of stopping? An overwhelming majority (87%) of the bad drivers say they should be able to speed, go through stop signs, and break other driving rules and regulations as long as no one gets hurt.

i roll

------------Do you talk on the cell phone while driving instead of pulling off and stopping to talk? A total of 77% of bad drivers say they do this either frequently or occasionally. Only 13% say they never talk on a cell phone while driving.

yes on the cell phone, i'm all over my phone, i lost my headset

------------Do you take your coffee and muffin or other food and drink on the road with you, driving with one hand while using the other to eat? Some 60% of those in the study say they either frequently or occasionally eat while they're driving. In fact, several of the participants say they have spilled drinks and attempted to clean up the spill while driving.

on my way to school i'm always eating something

---------------If you're out shopping in a crowded area and are looking for a parking space, do you become so focused on your search that you lose sight of the cars and pedestrians around you? More than half of the participants say that when they're trying to find a parking space in a crowded area, they can become so focused that they become oblivious to other drivers and pedestrians and often get into accidents, whether on the street or in a parking lot.

i don't know about this one

---------------------Do you hate driving behind SUVs or other large vehicles that obstruct your view? More than 60% of bad drivers say they are frustrated driving behind SUVs because they are wide and tall and block their vision. In fact, more than 70% believe SUVs should be required to drive in a separate lane on the highway.

SUV's or trucks, I have a problem with

---------------------Does your driving change when you go into areas with higher police presence? Nearly all of the participants strongly agree with the statement that they drive more carefully when they know police are in the area. In addition, most participants say they check their rearview mirrors regularly for police cars.

Most definitely my driving changes, especially when i go to montreal

--------------------Does listening to music while you drive sometimes leave you oblivious to all but the music? Some 93% of participants say they listen to the radio while driving, and 73% of them listen to music. Most say listening to the radio has often caused them to become distracted and in some cases they say listening to loud music has caused them to be more aggressive on the highway.

not really, it make me even more focused.

-----------------------Do you find yourself in confrontations on the road, either through verbal arguments or hand gestures, because of either your own driving habits or the habits of others? While 87% of the bad drivers consider themselves at least somewhat courteous drivers if not very courteous, at least half also admit making obscene or rude gestures or comments to other drivers, particularly those who cut in front of them on the highway. Participants also say, however, that they appreciate a thank-you gesture for letting another driver into their lane, and often give a wave of thanks themselves when they cut into traffic.

confrontations at least once a week.. nothing serious, maybe a stare down or if it's bad, a mouth off, from me or whoever is driving the other car thank you gestures are important to me though... usually i like to go in front of the annoying driver, like a speeder, and slow down...

----------------Does your "work hard, play hard" lifestyle leave you sleepy behind the wheel at times? About 50% of those in the study say they have almost fallen asleep while driving and an additional 10% say they have wanted to shut their eyes while driving and almost did. The study found that most participants lead a busy lifestyle that sometimes leaves them sleep-deprived.

no

-
------------------When you're driving with passengers, do you turn around to talk, taking your eyes and mind off the road? Nearly all group members acknowledged that they are distracted when they have passengers in their vehicles, and most say during conversations they'll turn their heads and stop paying attention to the road. This held true especially for drivers with small children.

it depends, if i'm with my girlfriend, she can distract me alot... so yes on this one.

i guess i'm a pretty good bad driver.

Well, I've never really been one to call myself the world's best driver, but very few of those actually apply to me.
one by one though:
Stop signs- If its a busy or a road with at least regular traffic, I'll always stop. I drive manual, so it makes little difference if I'm crawling at 1km/hour to get a clear view of each direction. Technically, I'd fail in a test, but it just means less clutch. But still, according to that, I don't always stop per se, more pause in first or low second...so...hmm.

Mobile phones- I will answer my phone rather than fiddling with the handsfree to talk to someone. But I tell them I'll "call back - stuck in traffic" and then hang up on whoever it is lol.

Eating/drinking- rarely eat in the car while driving. But I often have a drink in the cupholder to take swigs at while at lights etc.

Shopping centres/car parks- It rarely bothers me if the place if full. I turn on my inbuilt patience manager (ha!) and know that if I drive around long enough, I'll find a space eventually.

Driving behind large vehicles- never bothers me in the slightest. What traffic is going ahead of me shouldn't be an issue if I keep a safe distance from whatever is immediately in front. Even if I cant see.

Music- I usually have the radio on, but not really loud enough to be a problem that often. Its never been so loud that it drowns out what's happening around me.

police areas- Of course i will make sure I am doing the speed limit if I know there are police around. Who doesn't? I dont want a fine! But I regularly check my speed and make sure I'm not over. 10 years and no speeding ticket, must be doing something right...touch wood.

Confrontations- I rarely flip the bird at people, unless its blatant tomfoolery on their behalf. I occasionally throw my hands up as if to say to the person 'wtf are you doing???' And give them a glare.

Sleep deprivation- never drive tired. full stop. its stupidity.

Talking to others in car- I never turn around to talk to anyone when driving. I might glance occasionally in the rearview out of habit and curtesy, but never change my position to accomodate a conversation.

I really dont know now actually....I've never had an accident due to my error, and never been done for speeding. I guess that says I'm either really lucky, or not that bad a driver after all.

Hello,

When you reach a stop sign and no one is coming from another direction, do you roll through instead of stopping? An overwhelming majority (87%) of the bad drivers say they should be able to speed, go through stop signs, and break other driving rules and regulations as long as no one gets hurt.

Yes, I slowly roll through.

------------Do you talk on the cell phone while driving instead of pulling off and stopping to talk? A total of 77% of bad drivers say they do this either frequently or occasionally. Only 13% say they never talk on a cell phone while driving.

Yes. I have a handsfree carkit in my car.

------------Do you take your coffee and muffin or other food and drink on the road with you, driving with one hand while using the other to eat? Some 60% of those in the study say they either frequently or occasionally eat while they're driving. In fact, several of the participants say they have spilled drinks and attempted to clean up the spill while driving.

No

---------------If you're out shopping in a crowded area and are looking for a parking space, do you become so focused on your search that you lose sight of the cars and pedestrians around you? More than half of the participants say that when they're trying to find a parking space in a crowded area, they can become so focused that they become oblivious to other drivers and pedestrians and often get into accidents, whether on the street or in a parking lot.

No

---------------------Do you hate driving behind SUVs or other large vehicles that obstruct your view? More than 60% of bad drivers say they are frustrated driving behind SUVs because they are wide and tall and block their vision. In fact, more than 70% believe SUVs should be required to drive in a separate lane on the highway.

Yes. Precisely because they obstruct my view. Thankfully, there are less SUV's here in the Netherlands.

---------------------Does your driving change when you go into areas with higher police presence? Nearly all of the participants strongly agree with the statement that they drive more carefully when they know police are in the area. In addition, most participants say they check their rearview mirrors regularly for police cars.

No. But I think I normally do drive carefully, so there isn't much to change.

--------------------Does listening to music while you drive sometimes leave you oblivious to all but the music? Some 93% of participants say they listen to the radio while driving, and 73% of them listen to music. Most say listening to the radio has often caused them to become distracted and in some cases they say listening to loud music has caused them to be more aggressive on the highway.

I listen to music continuously, but it does not make me oblivious to all but music.

-----------------------Do you find yourself in confrontations on the road, either through verbal arguments or hand gestures, because of either your own driving habits or the habits of others? While 87% of the bad drivers consider themselves at least somewhat courteous drivers if not very courteous, at least half also admit making obscene or rude gestures or comments to other drivers, particularly those who cut in front of them on the highway. Participants also say, however, that they appreciate a thank-you gesture for letting another driver into their lane, and often give a wave of thanks themselves when they cut into traffic.

In that respect I'm a very easy-going person. I've never had any confrontations... yes.

----------------Does your "work hard, play hard" lifestyle leave you sleepy behind the wheel at times? About 50% of those in the study say they have almost fallen asleep while driving and an additional 10% say they have wanted to shut their eyes while driving and almost did. The study found that most participants lead a busy lifestyle that sometimes leaves them sleep-deprived.

Sleepy? Sometimes. Almost fallen asleep? No.

------------------When you're driving with passengers, do you turn around to talk, taking your eyes and mind off the road? Nearly all group members acknowledged that they are distracted when they have passengers in their vehicles, and most say during conversations they'll turn their heads and stop paying attention to the road. This held true especially for drivers with small children.

No. But then again, I often drive alone in my car.

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom