Are people friendlier in Europe than in North America ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Does anyone know why Europeans are more uninhibited ( other than the U.K. )than Americans ? For instance isn't it true that almost all the public beaches in continental Europe are clothing optional . In Canada and the States a clothing optional beach is considered a total counter-culture hippy hang-out . I think Europeans are way more free about their behavior and to express themselves than people over here . If you watch the news and read the papers all the cool demonstrations are in Europe .I wish I could travel over there and get first hand knowledge . I mean look at Bono , he's a friendly Irishman and the high-tech people in the American government can hardly believe how informed and knowledgeable he is on the issues he's talking to them about . It looks to me like they can't believe this friendly dude can really have a clue .

------------------
Look I gotta go ,
Yeah I'm running right out of change, There's a lot of things , If I could I'd rearrange .

I think that typically, the larger the city, the ruder the people are. When people are living in cramped spaces, dealing with bad traffic, and constantly bombarded with noise, their nerves tend to get frazzeled.

Originally posted by 1mitnol:
Does anyone know why Europeans are more uninhibited ( other than the U.K. )than Americans ? For instance isn't it true that almost all the public beaches in continental Europe are clothing optional . In Canada and the States a clothing optional beach is considered a total counter-culture hippy hang-out .
Why? Probably a religious thing. Although the various American religious groups stem from the same origins as the Europeans', they have progressed in different ways. I have to say, though, that there are limits here too. Complete nudity on a regular beach is generally frowned upon (there are lots of nudist beaches for that purpose), but people usually won't bat an eyelid if women go topless, and why should they? I for one am glad it's like that because those white patches are so unsexy.

But I think that people are becoming more inhibited again. For instance, on my recent trip to Portugal, I didn't see many topless women, but on the other hand, on the beach that did have them, I was surprised to see a group of American girls who after a few days worked up the courage to lie topless. I didn't think Americans did that at all.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:

When I was in Greece a number of years ago, I observed a family of Germans (or German-speaking, I should say)--three generations of them, from toddlers to grandma--playing cards nude on the beach. It was beautiful. I was very self-conscious just being topless. But I got over it.
biggrin.gif
Well, I must admit, I do object to the Germans who do this. They tend to just go everywhere in Europe and behave like they're at home, and I really don't enjoy looking at the Helmuth Kohl types that Ugly Naked German Guys usually are with their bits flapping in the breeze. Don't know why the hunks always cover up.
wink.gif

I don't want to see naked people and I don't want to go topless....has nothing to do with inhibition or religion. Its just personal taste...from my very limitied experience its not the beautiful people who go naked...its the same kind of people I see at the mall. Its just not pretty imho.

We do have nude beaches here though...they just are a separate thing....so if you do like that kind of thing you are not deprived..

Not to mention the au natural sunbathing is bad for you...

dream wanderer

Nudity at beaches is just one example , I personally wouldn't do it however , it's just a thing people do more in Europe that's all . I think it's easier to meet Americans and Canadians as far as saying Hi and stuff goes , but to really get to know someone well it looks like Europeans are the winners there. Everyone says backpacking around Europe is a totally cool thing to do for a summer but would a European want to travel around North America , just dependent on people's hospitality ?
The other thing is , for culture and life like festivals and other events Europe has got so much going on .The Love Parade in Berlin for example , nothing even remotely close to a party like that happens anywhere over here, that I know of anyway . The European s seem to have more of a zest for life than most people , perhaps it's cause they won their freedom more recently .

------------------
Look I gotta go ,
Yeah I'm running right out of change, There's a lot of things , If I could I'd rearrange .

Well, yes... just right in time to say I just got back from a night at the Life Ball 2002 - - so good to see people who believe in love... to see freaks like me there... Elton John told about his Aids Help Funds... should hook up with Bono maybe?

Oh, the Love Parade of Berlin is great, true. A little too much chaos, if you ask me; there are a few other parades in Middle Europe, but Berlin is the original, yes.

As to the demos: Well, Seattle was quite a good example, too. I think Americans have a stronger national sense than the Europeans. And I think some are more conservative.

Oh people, this was such a great happening... Moschino did a show, a gay pair married,,.... - try to get a ticket next year, it?s worth it - -
be available.

Rock on

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom