Are Men Necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I guess this book is causing a bit of a firestorm, she will be on Anderson Cooper tonight.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9972517/site/newsweek/

"The Pulitzer prize-winning New York Times Op-Ed columnist freely admits she has no answers when it comes to the gender wars and insists that she is just trying to have some fun. Indeed, when she notes that evolution-wise "men could disappear, taking Maxim magazine, March Madness and cold pizza in the morning with them," it's funny—as is much of the book.

Newsweek -I have to ask, are men necessary?

Maureen Dowd: "Men used to be necessary in terms of reproduction and refinance. But we don't need them for that any more. They'll be necessary like ice cream is necessary. If they're necessary as ornaments, the way women used to be, then they're going to have to be a lot more adoring and look at us raptly."

this is my favorite..:wink:

NEWSWEEK: Why did you decide it was time to write about the battle of the sexes?

Maureen Dowd: We haven't really had this conversation about men and women. You don't get to write about sex a lot with the Bush family, and I've covered two generations. I think once I was interviewing Bar, [Barbara Bush] and she said that George senior had been reading a magazine and said: 'Bar what's a bikini wax?' That's the only time sex came up in the first Bush White House.

an excerpt from the book

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9959347/

"Only another hundred thousand years — or ten million, if you believe the Y optimists — and the male chromosome could go the way of the dial-up connection.

So, dear readers of the soon-to-be-extinct male persuasion, you're on notice.

In the year 102,005, or 10,002,005 at the latest, we'll finally have our fair share of female network anchors, female priests, female columnists, female Supreme Court justices, corrupt female CEOs and philandering female presidents.

And we'll run the world. In a manly way, of course."

I think it's pretty clear. Maureen Dowd has become inflicted by the disease of lesbian feminism.

She should repent, vote Republican, and accept Jesus.

:lmao:

Interesting.

I took a gender studies course last year and in the textbook's chapter on relationships, the author said that lesbian relationships are usually the most "nurturing", the best in terms of partners respecting each other and talking things through. I would be more detailed, but I've already sold the textbook so I can't give any quotes. It kinda made me wonder, what's the point of heterosexual relationships then?

:shrug:

The logic trail here is that the Y chromosome makes the male. However, in species where the Y chromosome has evolved into obsolescence, that doesn't mean that there aren't any males. It just means that "maleness" is no longer defined by a Y chromosome.

What a silly excuse to sell books.

Melon

republican%20kitten.jpg

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
It kinda made me wonder, what's the point of heterosexual relationships then?

:shrug:

I've always found heteronormative gender roles to be incredibly silly. It should be more about love and compatibility, rather than adhering to prescribed cultural constructs that only seem to cause conflict these days.

I think books like these only serve to further show how silly these gender roles are.

Melon

The evolution of sexes is to be considered an equallibrium of two forms within a population, ignoring the issue of chromosomes (which are the mechanism for this variation) when you have a sexually reproducing population with significantly more of one sex it it reproductively advantageous to be a minority form, eventually you reach a point in the entire population where there is parity that no longer selects strongly for one form over the other.

MrsSpringsteen said:

And we'll run the world. In a manly way, of course."

Silly, like melon pointed out, about sums it up. Women should run the world in a WOMANLY way!!!

I know there are other chromosome pairings out there, but does anyone know what an XY species would evolve into eventually (if there are any species out there that have already done so)? XXY? XYO? XO?

^ There are a couple species of voles which have lost the Y chromosome entirely. In one species, all individuals are XO; in the other, all are XX.

As melon mentioned, this doesn't mean there aren't males in these species, though; what happened is that the "SRY" gene, the one which codes for maleness (in mammals and some other animals), simply migrated onto the X chromosome.

But as far as human evolution goes, a more likely outcome would be that we'd wind up like kangaroos, in which the Y chromosome has lost everything but the SRY gene, yet continues to exist anyway. It's thought that kangaroos have had a one-gene-only Y for close to a million years now.

So--a threat to the Y chromosome, but not to maleness. Sexual reproduction offers too many evolutionary advantages to disappear that easily.

Did anyone see her on Anderson Cooper? I couldn't stay awake..

And I'd hardly call her a "feminist", if you read some of the things she writes about women as well. Maybe she's more like an Ann Coulter feminist :wink: she definitely knows how to push buttons..

MrsSpringsteen said:
Did anyone see her on Anderson Cooper? I couldn't stay awake..

And I'd hardly call her a "feminist", if you read some of the things she writes about women as well. Maybe she's more like an Ann Coulter feminist :wink: she definitely knows how to push buttons..

O/T, but it's a shame that Anderson isn't on at 7:00pm anymore. That's all I'm saying. Carryon. :grumpy:

of course we need them:love: I :heart: my hubby!!!

and to be honest...if I had to be around other women..all day...EVERYDAY!! I'd go freaking nuts...no offense to us out there:wink: but you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom