Are Manners Dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find this interesting. Living here in Africa has taught me something about the value of manners. In Mali, for example, when you meet someone, even a total stranger, there is a prescribed ritual of greeting them. You ask about their health, about their family, etc. then they do the same for you. In fact, in the morning when you go to work, it is expected that you drop in to each and every office and do this greeting ritual. That's just one example of the manners ingrained into the society here. They also have a system of working out conflicts between people by negotiation which you can see in action any given day. Even if it is a fight between two strangers on the street, a 3rd party will always step in and play the role of mediator.

In fact, the most insulting thing you can say to someone here is not anything to do with their paternity (ie. bastard, etc.) but "I malo ka dogo" which roughly translates to...you have no manners or you have no shame? Just goes to show how highly they value good behaviour.

sulawesigirl4 said:
I find this interesting. Living here in Africa has taught me something about the value of manners. In Mali, for example, when you meet someone, even a total stranger, there is a prescribed ritual of greeting them. You ask about their health, about their family, etc. then they do the same for you. In fact, in the morning when you go to work, it is expected that you drop in to each and every office and do this greeting ritual. That's just one example of the manners ingrained into the society here. They also have a system of working out conflicts between people by negotiation which you can see in action any given day. Even if it is a fight between two strangers on the street, a 3rd party will always step in and play the role of mediator.

In fact, the most insulting thing you can say to someone here is not anything to do with their paternity (ie. bastard, etc.) but "I malo ka dogo" which roughly translates to...you have no manners or you have no shame? Just goes to show how highly they value good behaviour.

Very interesting. I wish we had more of this here.

Perhaps this is another indication that the West tends to value things, while in Africa, they tend to value each other.

Yobbo's reward

By BRAD CLIFTON

October 18, 2005

A DRUNKEN pedestrian who swore at police on a busy city street has had a charge of offensive behaviour dismissed because a Sydney magistrate believes there are no longer "community standards" in relation to such behaviour.

Magistrate Pat O'Shane not only threw out the case against Canberra man Rufus Richardson, 27, but awarded him costs of more than $2600, ruling he should never have been arrested and charged in the first place.

Ms O'Shane also said police accounts that Richardson had told them "youse are f. . .ed" was not a proper basis for his arrest because that type of language was "to be expected on George St at that time of night".

"(I'm) not sure that there is such a thing as community standards anymore," Ms O'Shane said in relation to the language alleged against Richardson, before she dismissed the charge.

Police confirmed yesterday they would appeal against the decision handed down in Downing Centre Local Court last Wednesday.
link

Evidently manners are dead as is the concept of social contract.

It's kind of sad to think that such a thing as manners is a thing of the past. Good heavens I wonder what the next generation is going to consider as manners.:ohmy:

nbcrusader said:
Very interesting. I wish we had more of this here.

Perhaps this is another indication that the West tends to value things, while in Africa, they tend to value each other.

Well, when you're dirt poor, you don't have much of a choice. Then again, this is probably part of the reason that Africans remain poor. They have a very intricate system of community, of sharing with those who have less. It's an obligation. So everyone shares and no one gets rich. But who's to say that that's a bad thing. I dunno.

Btw, this morning as I got onto the little public transport bus beside my house and automatically greeted the sixteen strangers seated within, I thought again about this thread. :)

sulawesigirl4 said:

Well, when you're dirt poor, you don't have much of a choice. Then again, this is probably part of the reason that Africans remain poor. They have a very intricate system of community, of sharing with those who have less. It's an obligation. So everyone shares and no one gets rich. But who's to say that that's a bad thing. I dunno.

Btw, this morning as I got onto the little public transport bus beside my house and automatically greeted the sixteen strangers seated within, I thought again about this thread. :)

poor, but rich in so many ways

well I'm flattered that you thought about this :)

sulawesigirl4 said:

I think we should take this as a challenge to greet others in the same way. It may be uncomfortable; but who knows, we might give someone a smile for the day.

Back
Top Bottom