Are Americans unusually stupid??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Are Americans unusually stupid???

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...EDHF1060SL.DTL

Old 04-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Quote:
Are Americans unusually stupid?

these types of loaded questions

and accusing them of clinging to religion out of bitterness

is not the way to win hearts and minds

Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 04-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:46 AM
Quote:
Are Americans unusually stupid???
By comparison to whom? Russians put up with a lot more encroachments on personal liberty by comparison, as do Chinese. If we are going to argue that Americans are stupid, we would have to argue that Russians and Chinese are stupider.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

By comparison to whom? Russians put up with a lot more encroachments on personal liberty by comparison, as do Chinese. If we are going to argue that Americans are stupid, we would have to argue that Russians and Chinese are stupider.
Not to forget the Italians, or the Germans time and time again.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:

The big difference here is that they don't have so called FREE elections and Americans do. Huge difference actually. The fact that more people say they will vote for yet another Republican administration even after this last horrific one begs the question. Not to mention the Democrats not yet deciding on a nominee. You really have to wonder.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest

The big difference here is that they don't have so called FREE elections and Americans do. Huge difference actually. The fact that more people say they will vote for yet another Republican administration even after this last horrific one begs the question. Not to mention the Democrats not yet deciding on a nominee. You really have to wonder.
Geez Harry, as a fellow Canadian, I've read some of your rantings regarding US politics of late, and I have to concur with some of the American posters, they're insulting and inflammatory.

The bottom line is, it's a democracy, and although you may not agree with the political leanings of some people, they do have the right to decide for themselves. Your name calling isn't helpful, nor does it lead to fruitful dialogue.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:

Are Canadians from Winnipeg unusually condescending?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

Geez Harry, as a fellow Canadian, I've read some of your rantings regarding US politics of late, and I have to concur with some of the American posters, they're insulting and inflammatory.

The bottom line is, it's a democracy, and although you may not agree with the political leanings of some people, they do have the right to decide for themselves. Your name calling isn't helpful, nor does it lead to fruitful dialogue.
What "name calling"???
I just posted an article from an AMERICAN writer and certain people are offended. Oh well, what can you do. Like you said, they do have the right to decide for themselves.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

What "name calling"???
I just posted an article from an AMERICAN writer and certain people are offended. Oh well, what can you do. Like you said, they do have the right to decide for themselves.
The title of the thread. And it's not just this thread, it's many you have started or posted in lately that if not explicitly state, then strongly imply that 1) Republicans; and 2) Hillary supporters are idiots.

If you toned it back, you'd get better results and more discussion.

ETA - I now see that the title of the thread is taken from a line in the article, so, sorry for that. But I do stand by what I said about others posts being over-the-top.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Are Canadians from Winnipeg unusually condescending?
Remember that person I ranted about a few weeks ago saying that I wanted to slap her thrice? She is from Winnipeg.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Met some Winnipegians at a conference a while back. Fine people. Drank a lot of whiskey.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Met some Winnipegians at a conference a while back. Fine people. Drank a lot of whiskey.
They're not bad people. They're just really, really cold for about 10 months of the year.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #14
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Remember that person I ranted about a few weeks ago saying that I wanted to slap her thrice? She is from Winnipeg.
And the evidence builds...
Old 04-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I'll take the bait...

Maybe.

At least I know that I'm not, seeing as when I was in eighth grade, I realized that President Bush was going into Iraq for the wrong reasons. I quite vividly remember in my geography class doing an exercise to compare Saddam Hussein to Kim Jong-Il and decide who was the greater threat to America. All but one group chose Kim Jong-Il. Perhaps we were just really intuitive eighth graders, or perhaps the rest of America was dumb. Oh, and something to keep in mind, I come from a small town of 5,000, fairly conservative.

In this town, there were plenty of redneck Republicans, and many who were just Republicans, yes there is a difference, go ahead and bash me for using redneck. Anyway, I was one of few outspoken very liberal people. I took to wearing a t-shirt from a band named Anti-Flag, which depicted President Bush with "international terrorist" across his head, and on the back had a protester holding up a sign that said, "Bush=Killer." For wearing that shirt, I took plenty of shit from fellow students. I was active in getting out the vote for Kerry/Edwards, etc. as a high schooler.

Here's a picture of that shirt:

As for Democrats this time around claiming that they'll vote for the Republican over the Democratic candidate they don't support, I think it's preposterous, and to be honest, I highly doubt any of those people will keep their word. I will personally be voting for either Hillary or Obama, whoever gets the nomination, though I am an Obama supporter. To be fair, I have said that if any Republican had to get into office, I would rather it's McCain (despite his insane 100 years in Iraq policy) because he's the Republican that scares me the least. But, be certain that come October, I'll be working for the Democrats non-stop.